Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

What if Ash-Greninja had Protean?
What if Ash-Greninja had Protean instead of Battle bond? Say if regular Greninja had Battle-bond then when it defeats an opponent and transforms it gains the ability (like how some megas change ability). Would that be too powerful? I think that is an awesome idea but I want to know how you think if Ash-Greninja had Protean.
Competitively speaking, Ash-Greninja with protean would be the same as any other variant. Honeslty aside aesthetics, it kinda ruin the point of differing Greninja from others forms. Also not in tuned with the anime, in fact rather not have the anime and the games have any canon link at all, but that's just my opinion. The best way to describe this is kinda like Keldeo's Resolute form which isn't much of a form change or difference.

Also spoilers for "Ash Greninja" if you don't want to know, then don't look at the spoiler box.

Apparently Ash Greninja does get a +110 boost in its Base Stat Total with a +10 in speed, and +50 in each offensive stat. Water shurikan seems to be changed to special and can basically outpriorize Talonflame. To top it off, Ash Greninja can easily outspeed the base 130s which is a huge milestone.

The main problem is that Greninja needs to get a kill to activate Protean, though it's usually used as a revenge killer of sorts. Even so, I wonder if Ash Greninja will be banned in Smogon since these stats do give it insane revenge killing potential.

I still think Protean Greninja is the better and more consistent form give Protean gives you stab on everything. Not sure how Protean Greninja and Ash Greninja will compare, though suspect both will have their merits next gen.
(Oct 31, 2016, 07:28 AM)Black117 Wrote: Competitively speaking, Ash-Greninja with protean would be the same as any other variant. Honeslty aside aesthetics, it kinda ruin the point of differing Greninja from others forms. Also not in tuned with the anime, in fact rather not have the anime and the games have any canon link at all, but that's just my opinion. The best way to describe this is kinda like Keldeo's Resolute form which isn't much of a form change or difference.

Also spoilers for "Ash Greninja" if you don't want to know, then don't look at the spoiler box.

Apparently Ash Greninja does get a +110 boost in its Base Stat Total with a +10 in speed, and +50 in each offensive stat. Water shurikan seems to be changed to special and can basically outpriorize Talonflame. To top it off, Ash Greninja can easily outspeed the base 130s which is a huge milestone.

The main problem is that Greninja needs to get a kill to activate Protean, though it's usually used as a revenge killer of sorts. Even so, I wonder if Ash Greninja will be banned in Smogon since these stats do give it insane revenge killing potential.

I still think Protean Greninja is the better and more consistent form give Protean gives you stab on everything. Not sure how Protean Greninja and Ash Greninja will compare, though suspect both will have their merits next gen.

...Hmm if regular Greninja had a different Hidden Ability like Swift Swim then Protean Ash-Greninja would be more exclusive. This makes it more unique and balanced IMO.