Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Yooka-Laylee
Thought I'd start a discussion on this

For those of you who don't know, some former Rare (Who have worked on games like Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie and Donkey Kong Country) employees have formed a company called Playtonic Games.

They recently revealed a game they are working on called Yooka-Laylee, which is being dubbed a "Spiritual successor" to the Banjo Kazooie series

Playtonic Games Website

They also launched a kickstarter for the game which has received £527,598 (at the time of writing this) since it's launch at 5pm BST today. which I think goes to show how excited a lot of people are for the game

So did anyone else on here play the Banjo Kazooie games and if so are you excited about this game?

If you haven't played Banjo Kazooie/ Tooie, does this game interest you?

(p.s I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but if you havent played the Banjo Kazooie games, I highly recommend you do :P )
I only played Banjo Kazooie a little as a child but i still loved it and im super excited for Yooka-Laylee it just seems like for a game thats on kickstarter they've already put so much effort into it. Also some people have already played the Alpha and they already say they love it, i might consider backing it up, i wanted my pac-man amiibo but it can wait :P
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
I think nostalgia has played a big part in how well it's been received, but that's because Banjo Kazooie/Tooie were - and still are - great games. From the footage I've seen, Yooka-Laylee seems to be following the Bankjo-Kazooie formula, which is good thing IMO
Everything I've seen so far has got me really excited, and it's not even coming out until at least 2016!

I've already pledged some money haha. I'm hoping they make a Physical Console copy as one of the rewards, because right now the only physical copy reward is on PC
One thing people have seen about Yooka-Laylee is that the "main" character (the one that walks, their both main characters), Yooka has alot more funtionality than Banjo. With all Banjo and Kazooie's main abilities it was mainly Kazooie that did the work (helping with flying/gliding and swimming and so on). But in this game its seems they both have features that are iconic to playing the game for example Yooka's tonge grapping ability. Thats saying even if Banjo didnt do as much it was still an amazing game, i just think this new game has the possiblity to actually be the succesor which would be awesome. This game is showing alot of promise already.

btw i just plegde the 15 usd for the steam copy and the special credits thanks :D
Yeah, I'm interested to see what "Moves" they have ,and if you'll need to learn them. Like you said, it was Kazooie that did most of the work, from Pile-driving enemies with her beak to flying Banjo across the whole world, but it doesn't seem fitting for Laylee (which i think is the Bat) to have these abilities, which is why I'm curious how they'll work together. I know Yooka has the tongue grappling (like you mentioned) and Laylee has some sort of sonic boom move I think

This might be the first time I read the credits, I'm going to take a picture of my name and frame it :P
(May 1, 2015, 01:46 PM)Eckley Wrote: This might be the first time I read the credits, I'm going to take a picture  of my name and frame it :P
Me too, its these silly little things i get super excited about
A lot of what made Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie such great games was the level design, the great controls, and the overall charm. They are some of the games I find myself always going back to, and easily one of my favourites on the system. Even if it's the same team working on this new game, I'm unsure of it they can recreate that lightning-in-a-bottle that they did with Banjo-Kazooie. It's an utter shame that this series will never see the light of day again after they made that disappointing Nuts & Bolts game which was pretty much a big insult to fans of the series.
I'm not really too keen on this trend of "spiritual successor" games as of late. Fans don't want "Well it's like that game you love", we want "It is that game you love". But with shoddy business practices of companies who buy the rights to IPs and do nothing but sit on them for years on end, this is the only way we can actually get games we've been clamouring for, for years.
I kinda' turn my nose up at Kickstarter games, even though it's given us great games along the lines of Shovel Knight and Shadowrun Returns. I've just become iffy about them what with hearing nothing about Mighty No. 9 for the past few months and Tim Shaffer being a lying thieving twat-waffle.

All I have to say is high hopes, low expectations.
(May 1, 2015, 02:23 PM)Netherlandish Wrote: A lot of what made Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie such great games was the level design, the great controls, and the overall charm. They are some of the games I find myself always going back to, and easily one of my favourites on the system. Even if it's the same team working on this new game, I'm unsure of it they can recreate that lightning-in-a-bottle that they did with Banjo-Kazooie. It's an utter shame that this series will never see the light of day again after they made that disappointing Nuts & Bolts game which was pretty much a big insult to fans of the series.
I'm not really too keen on this trend of "spiritual successor" games as of late. Fans don't want "Well it's like that game you love", we want "It is that game you love". But with shoddy business practices of companies who buy the rights to IPs and do nothing but sit on them for years on end, this is the only way we can actually get games we've been clamouring for, for years.
I kinda' turn my nose up at Kickstarter games, even though it's given us great games along the lines of Shovel Knight and Shadowrun Returns. I've just become iffy about them what with hearing nothing about Mighty No. 9 for the past few months and Tim Shaffer being a lying thieving twat-waffle.

great points i feel you
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
(May 1, 2015, 02:23 PM)Netherlandish Wrote: A lot of what made Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie such great games was the level design, the great controls, and the overall charm. They are some of the games I find myself always going back to, and easily one of my favourites on the system. Even if it's the same team working on this new game, I'm unsure of it they can recreate that lightning-in-a-bottle that they did with Banjo-Kazooie. It's an utter shame that this series will never see the light of day again after they made that disappointing Nuts & Bolts game which was pretty much a big insult to fans of the series.

I think they'll do a good job recreating what they did with Banjo Kazooie/Tooie. We already know that the main characters are a Buddy-duo like Banjo Kazooie were, and the jungle level design that they've shown looks promising. However, because theyaren't Banjo Kazooie, it may take some time for people to warm up to Yooka and Laylee. I must admit that "Chameleon and Bat" doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well as "Bear and Bird"
Am I disappointed this isn't a Banjo Kazooie game? Yes, but I'll gladly take this over nothing at all.

I've never played Nuts & Bolts because I don't have an XBox, but from what I can remember after watching my friend play it, it was pretty underwhelming.

As for the Spiritual successor, it seems like their way of saying "We want to make a Banjo-Kazooie game, but we can't use Banjo-Kazooie"
It's no secret that they are taking a lot of inspiration from the games. One of the Kickstarter strech goals was to add transformations, which was a big thing the the Banjo Kazooie games.

This is actually the first time I've pledged money to a kickstarter game, because I want it to be the best it possibly can. I'm sure they said they didn't need the Kickstarter to make the game, but rather to make the game as best as it can be. Like I said, I'm disappointed it's not a Banjo Kazooie game, but if they can make it resemble it as much as possible I'll be happy with that
I played Banjo-Kazooie when I was a kid and had no idea what the hell I was doing. I still remember playing but damn, its been so long. Glad to see they are bringing back this game. I had no idea there was a Banjo-Tooie.