Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Your Top 10 Games of 2014!
Due to lack of the newer consoles, I couldn't play all I wanted to but here is what I did manage to play In no particular order:

Fable Anniversary
The Wolf Among Us
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Destiny
Alien: Isolation
Pokemon Art Academy
Pokemon Omega Ruby
1.Pokemon OR/AS
2.Destiny
3.Super Smash bros.
4.Dynasty Warrior Gundam Reborn
5.Dark Souls 2
6.Gundam Breaker 2
7.Armored Core Verdict Day
8.Sniper Elite 3
9.Mobile Suit Gundam : Side stories
A legend fallen from grace.
Good list guys!
(Jan 8, 2015, 04:51 PM)Aerialslayer Wrote:
(Jan 6, 2015, 04:16 PM)UndyingUmbreon Wrote: Definitely! :D

How many of them have you played!? Smile

I've played through Awakening and Shadow Dragon (obviously), Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance, and Sacred Stones. Awakening and Path of Radiance are my favorite so far
(Jan 11, 2015, 06:21 PM)UndyingUmbreon Wrote:

I've played through Awakening and Shadow Dragon (obviously), Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance, and Sacred Stones. Awakening and Path of Radiance are my favorite so far

Good choices!

My two favorites are Sacred Stones and Awakening.

Not sure if you saw but they just announced a new Fire Emblem game!! So excited! Smile
10. Stick of truth
9. Bayonetta 2
8. Smash Bro's 3DS
7. Dragon Age: Inquisitions
6. Fantasy Life
5. Metal gear Rising (pc)
4. JoJo ASB
3. (Though it was released in 2013 here) Bravely Default
2. Pokemen ORAS
1. Dork souls 2

They're in no definitive order. Dork souls 2 is #1 and Pokemon #2 but other than that the order means nothing.
Sorry for being a tad late on the bandwagon, but here's my top 10.

But, honourable mentions very briefly for:
Shadow Of Mordor (I felt that I would have enjoyed it a lot more if i knew the lore, i kinda got a bit bored to be honest.)
Mario Kart 8 ( I don't own a Wii U, but makes it on here for how much i watch Youtube videos of the game alone.)

10) Prison Architect - I feel as though 2014 was the year of two things, remakes and alpha games. This falls into the latter but it is easily my favourite 'simulator/design thing' game of the year.

9) Outlast - If you ever get to know me, you'll learn i don't do jump scares well - like, at all. But i found Outlast, despite everything scaring the life out of me, engrossing and i always wanted to continue. I liked a couple of horrors this year, the main other being Alien: Isolation, yet unlike Isolation, Outlast never had that sense of repetition or knowing - i felt like something new was happening in every single part of the game.

8) Just Cause 2: Multiplayer - I'm counting it because the multiplayer mod was released this year!! (I think...) Constantly i felt like whenever i had no other games to play, JC2:M was my 'go to' game. It was like the GTA V for the PC that never happened (yet) , and the open world felt less barren with other people racing you or generally just flying around, and I totally legitimately legally became a pilot because of that game...totally.

7) Forza Horizon 2 -  Not much to say here to be honest. I picked up an Xbox One late on in the year and Horizon 2 is one of my favourite titles. It's the typical Horizon game, nothing more, nothing less. Still fun and immensely pretty - a solid racing game.

6) Osu - Granted, this game was not released this year, heck, it wasn't released even close to this year, but I was introduced to it by a couple of online friends in around March this year. I found myself addicted to just clicking circles in time to the beats of songs and constantly trying to outdo my friends. It was one of few games that i could say i am quite good at, and damn does it get you in the mood for a #FlynnParty.

5) Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire - BLASPHEMY! I know having it this far down the list will most likely get me stoned, and i don't want this post to last forever, so i'll some up my time with ORAS briefly. I went into ORAS with high hopes, i only started playing Pokemon at 4th Gen, so I was excited for what Hoenn had to offer. The game itself looks beautiful and the battling and story were some of my favourites throughout the franchise. Yet around mid-game i just wanted it to hurry up, i don't know what happened i just lost interest and sped past trainers as quickly as possible to reach the Elite Four. But still, bring on VGC '15!

4) Thomas Was Alone: Benjamin's Flight - I usually despise people who include DLC or expansion packs on 'Top Games' lists, because they're not the full game, yet i have to make an exception for TWA: BF. My friends know that i'll bring up Thomas and his quadrilateral pals whenever I can, and the game, when released in 2012, was my number one of the year and my favourite of all time. So, to be honest, it's no shock i loved the free dlc, and the story telling for both main game and expansion are the best i've ever seen. I am prepared for Volume.

===Bronze Trophy Goes To...===

3) SpeedRunners - I found this little gem on Youtube very early on in the year, and i fell in love. It's the definition of 'Easy to Learn, Difficult to Master' and i feel as the the game, still in beta, is a perfect little simplistic parkour 'em up that it doesn't belong to just one niche market. It's competitive to the core, and as much as it's publicity is leading to an array of silly characters, it's still a lovely game that can give all the thrills of any triple A title.

===Silver Trophy Goes To...===

2) Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare - DON'T KILL ME YET! I can explain, trust me. COD:AW is this high i guess partially due to the shock factor. Sledgehammer couldn't pull a move like the other publishers/developers and just copy and paste an old title and fix it up a little, they had to bring something new to the table, and the double jump feature, to the exo suits, to the character customisation bring it on in full force. I felt as though the FPS genre lacked a lot this year, so this nice surprise in a franchise filled with stale copies was just what i needed to get my trigger finger all twitchy again! I honestly cared for the characters, something i've never experienced in a Call of Duty game before. The parts of the campaign wwhere it seems as though characters leave/die got me really upset that they wouldn't return. And i'm not just saying this because Gideon is British...and a badass.

===And My Favourite Game Of 2014 Is...===

1) Town Of Salem - DUN DUN DUN. Yes, the no-movement-required alpha/beta game of the year is my number one. I found the game in very early alpha at the beginning of the year, and it is the only game i have constantly played the entire year through. I have met some of my best friends on the game, and found some youtubers too. The odds that you'll experience the same game experience twice, is less likely than getting killed by a vending machine ( 1 in 112 million, according to Google ) and each experience is heart-poundingly tense. It's a very traditional 'Mafia' game with all of the spices mixed into the pot. It is a well deserving first place.
(Jan 15, 2015, 01:57 PM)Aerialslayer Wrote:

Good choices!

Not sure if you saw but they just announced a new Fire Emblem game!! So excited! Smile

Sacred Stones was really good too! :D I'm so hyped! I was worried that Awakening would be the last one for awhile since it was like a final effort to get the series popular. I'm so happy they're going to make more!
Hmm...i could do a list of games that came out only in 2014 that i played, but i dont think i would have enough for a top 10 xD

so ill also include some older games on this list that i played for the first time in 2014.

Honorable Mention: Hyrule Warriors
Being a huge Zelda fan, I had to try this game. I also havent played a Dynasty warriors game before, so I was interested in seeing what that series was like. Overall, I enjoyed it. The gameplay, although repetitive, was still fun and i never got bored of it. I liked playing as the various Zelda characters as well. That being said, I wouldve liked to see things from wind waker in it.

10. Hearthstone
I got this game when it came out for Android in late 2014, and although im still learning how to play this, I really enjoyed what I've played of it so far.

9. Super Mario 3D World
This game is a blast to play with friends over. Although it is one of the easier mario games, i still found 3D World to be a lot of fun, and i loved playing the multiple characters. A must own if you own a wii u imo.

8. Bravely Default
I was super excited for this game and was expecting it to be the next big JRPG,(even to the point where i bought both a physical and digital copy, the digital was a pain to download btw) which was probably why this game is so low on the list when I found it to still be good, but not a perfect game. The music in this game is fantastic, and the gameplay is really good as well(however i did not like how the bravely second feature used microtransactions). That being said, I found the story to be incredibly mediocre, to the point where i stopped playing the game for a long while. Overall though, Bravely Default is a good game, and I'll get Bravely second when that comes out here.

7. Mario Kart 8
This game was the game that got me to buy a Wii U. I have always been a big mario kart fan and I really enjoyed this one. Although the anti gravity mechanics were not that big of a change, the track design was very well done compared to previous mario kart games. The DLC was fun to play as well and I cant wait for the second DLC in May.

6. Pokemon ORAS
After being severely disappointed with X/Y, I came into ORAS with a negative mindset, thinking that they would screw up what made the 3rd gen games so great(Ruby is my second favorite pokemon game btw). And in some ways they did, with the battle frontier being gone and instead with X/Y's battle maison replacing it. However as a whole I found ORAS to be much better than X/Y, and I really like the improvements they made to the game overall.

(Just a fyi, past here it became really hard to decide which games should go where xD)

5. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
I didnt expect much when I started playing this game, however the more I played, the more i enjoyed it. I love video game music, and the final fantasy series has some of the best. The online multiplayer is not amazing, but i still enjoyed playing it. I also really liked the Bravely Default and Chrono Trigger DLC. Anyone who is a big fan of final fantasy music and video game music in general should definitely pick this game up.

4. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
This was the first monster hunter game that i played, and i am really glad that I played it. I really enjoyed all of the various monsters to hunt, and weapons and armor that could be made. All of the weapon classes play very differently and they are all fun to play, the balancing is great as well as there is no weapon class that seems overpowered. The online multiplayer is fantastic, the majority of my time playing was there, and it is just so fun to hunt with others. I am really excited for MH4U now knowing how much more content that game will have compared to 3U.

3. Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS
I have always been a huge smash bros fan, and I have to say that Smash 4 is probably my favorite in the entire series. I know a lot of people who play competitive smash see melee as the best, and although i do enjoy watching that game, i just dont think it is for me. Smash 4 is great due to all of the content it has, and the very fun gameplay, which is better than brawl for sure. I also love how I can play it on the go with the 3ds version, and I love training my amiibo and watching them beat the crap out of my friends.

2. Shovel Knight
This game is not your average 8 bit platformer, it is one of the best for sure. Nearly everything about it is perfect, from the music and gameplay. I cant wait for the dlc, and a sequel if one is coming. Anyone who is a fan of 8 bit platformers needs to play this game.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
Like shovel knight, pretty much every part of this game is perfect to me. The world was huge, and no two places felt the same. It was very impressive that the wii could even run the game. The combat is fantastic, and I had a ton of fun playing. The soundtrack was also great, and i loved listening to it. The story was pretty good as well, and the characters were very likeable. This game is the reason why Xenoblade Chronicles X is the game im looking forward to the most this year, and anyone who has even a slight interest in JRPGs and is getting a New 3DS should pick this game up when it comes out.
(Jan 16, 2015, 02:17 PM)UndyingUmbreon Wrote:
(Jan 15, 2015, 01:57 PM)Aerialslayer Wrote:

Good choices!

Sacred Stones was really good too! :D I'm so hyped! I was worried that Awakening would be the last one for awhile since it was like a final effort to get the series popular. I'm so happy they're going to make more!

I cried a little when I saw that Fire Emblem trailer haha.

Shadbro and KrazedVolcano. I love the lists. Was a great read. Great how you explained why you liked each game. Smile.