Pokemon Forever
[VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair - Printable Version

+- Pokemon Forever (http://pokemonforever.com)
+-- Forum: POKéMON (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-POK%C3%A9MON)
+--- Forum: Competitive Pokemon Movesets (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-Competitive-Pokemon-Movesets)
+--- Thread: [VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair (/Thread-VGC-VGC18-Tapu-Koko-2-Movesets-Sweeper-Rain-Pair--24807)

Pages: 1 2

[VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair - RetroTyphlosion - Mar 29, 2018

Art removed due to a questionable source, I apologize for those who had too see it.

Hey guys, its RetroTyphlosion, and with a slight feeling of deja vu from my write up of a VGC17 Tapu Koko, we're looking at Tapu Koko's presence in todays competitive format. Bear with me, I never was good at writing these, but I'll see what I can do. maybe this one will ACTUALLY end up on the front page smh
[Image: tapukoko.png]

Type: Electric / Fairy

HP: 70
Attack: 115
Defense: 85
Sp. Attack: 95
Sp. Defense: 75
Speed: 130
So, these are actually some pretty solid statstics; excellent typing gives it only two weaknesses, Poison and Ground (which we'll get to later), and allows it to run powerful STAB. Its stats are mostly well-rounded; a high speed stat allows it to outspeed most of the tier, and large attacking stats pack a punch. Its defenses are, however, not that great, and Koko probably won't be on the battleground for very long.
Set One:
(The Quick Sweeper)
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/ 4 SpD
Timid Nature 
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice

This Tapu Koko is meant to use as a lead sweeper to start the game off right. T-Bolt is our main attack here, with STAB and the Terrain Boost. D-Gleam is for when you need to hit both Pokemon, but also for that Fairy Coverage, and HP Ice takes care of Grass, Dragon, and Ground types. However, Choice Scarf Landorus Therian outspeeds and OHKOs it, so be wary. However, Tapu Koko will outspeed the Assualt Vest Landorus Therian set, and, while unable to OHKO it, can Volt Switch out on its ally. Since it is a sweeper, its defenses are not the best, and it probably won't be able to take too many hits; but it should be able to survive through the first few turns if you play your cards right and protect it from Landorus.

Offensive Damage Calcs (Notable Calcs in Bold):

Set Two:

(The Rain Pair)
Tapu Koko @ Assault Vest
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def
Timid Nature
-Sky Drop
-Thunder
-Hidden Power Ice
-Dazzling Gleam

"What? Retro? A Tapu Koko in rain?" Yep, and you better believe it. I always like creating odd sets, and here's today's. This Tapu Koko can lead with Sky Drop to remove a threat from the field first turn, meaning the ally Pokemon can set up rain more easily, especially if you hit a Pokemon that may use Taunt. HP Ice and Dazzling Gleam are once again coverage moves, but the big one here is Thunder. Boosted to 100% accuracy in Rain, its also STAB boosted and Terrain boosted. Assault Vest to withstand an extra attack or two, but if you wanted to run Protect, I would replace the Vest with a Life Orb or Electrium Z. Z-Thunder doesn't sound bad, actually....

Checks and Counters:
  • Landorus. Need I say more? Choice Scarf can outspeed and OHKO, and Assault Vest survives HP Ice and OHKOs. Switch out if one comes on.
  • Pokemon too heavy to be affected by Sky Drop.
  • Powerful STAB moves or Super-effective hits. Koko isn't bulky, so watch out.
And there you are. Hope this helps!

-Retro

EDIT: Hold up, my computer deleted the calcs when I published this. The calcs will return soon...

RE: [VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets -Sweeper - Rain Pair - RetroTyphlosion - Mar 29, 2018

Tagging a few people...

@FireTaco She would like the rain set...

@"yung lord" @0kamii @Arctero  @Kris  They're all good VGC minds...

RE: [VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair - Kris - Mar 29, 2018

I've never seen AsVest Koko, with little SpDef investment first and foremost, can I ask what's the AsVest for?

RE: [VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair - RetroTyphlosion - Mar 29, 2018

@Kris Assault Vest Koko is actually a thing.... The rain Koko is intended to stick around for a bit longer than the sweeper. Granted, there is little Sp.Def investment, but every little but helps.

RE: [VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair - Arctero - Mar 29, 2018

Ah yes, AV Koko with Sky Drop shenanigans. A very solid staple to mess up your opponent. Both seem very standard. Ashton Cox used a variation of AV Koko with electroweb, skydrop, nature's madness and volt switch. I know that Light Clay Koko is running around as well with light screen, reflect and volt switch to support the team. There isn't much variation with Koko's sets, since they all typically run max speed to hit 200 and mostly special attack investment. Rarely will you have a Koko EVd to live hits as it is mainly used as a sweeper. I think you covered the main sets though, and the choice specs set is the same as life orb/electrium z with an option for protect.

RE: [VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair - PerchPond - Mar 30, 2018

It's more efficient to run either Dazzling Gleam or HP-Ice and not both. Dazzling Gleam + HP-Fire/Grass Knot lets you cover more Pokémon and is usually the most appealing move combo. As you mention, Koko's Lando matchup is weak even with HP-Ice, which makes dropping HP-Ice all together probably more efficient, and let a partner like Fini deal with Lando instead. With Dazzling Gleam you can threaten Salamence and Tyranitar, wheras Grass Knot actually KO's Swampert and Gastrodon. IMO Thunderbolt (Thunder if on dedicated rain team), Dazzling Gleam, Grass Knot and Volt Switch is the most appealing (on a Specs set), with HP-Fire being an option instead of Grass Knot outside of rain, for Ferrothorn.

RE: [VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair - Arctero - Mar 30, 2018

@PerchPond I see what you're saying, but I don't think there is a "true" best set since koko's moves will depend on its team members. I know many people actually drop thunderbolt in favor of a coverage move and keep volt switch as the electric STAB on koko.

RE: [VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair - RetroTyphlosion - Mar 30, 2018

@Arctero I appreciate the feedback! You are right; there isn't a bunch of variation in Koko's sets, but oh well, I guess. Had to cover something.
BTW, dropping T-Bolt for Volt Switch? Haven't seen that one before...

@PerchPond I really like what you said here, and I'm tempted to edit the sets. What would you have them as?

RE: [VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair - PerchPond - Mar 30, 2018

(Mar 30, 2018, 07:12 AM)Arctero Wrote: @PerchPond I see what you're saying, but I don't think there is a "true" best set since koko's moves will depend on its team members. I know many people actually drop thunderbolt in favor of a coverage move and keep volt switch as the electric STAB on koko.
@Arctero And I never said there was one either. I merely suggested the combinations of 6 moves I believe gives a Specs set the best coverage and efficiency. Yeah I've seen that aswell; my set-suggestions were tailored somewhat towards a rain set, where I believe a more consistent Electric STAB than Volt Switch is beneficial.

@RetroTyphlosion I don't believe that you have to edit the sets, as Arctero wrote, Koko has alot of coverage options to fit its team's needs, both offensively and defensively/utility; as long as the Koko set fits your team it's all good.