Pokemon Forever
Any Ideas for VGC Notes - Printable Version

+- Pokemon Forever (http://pokemonforever.com)
+-- Forum: POKéMON (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-POK%C3%A9MON)
+--- Forum: Competitive Pokemon Discussion (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-Competitive-Pokemon-Discussion)
+---- Forum: Competitive Discussion Archive (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-Competitive-Discussion-Archive)
+---- Thread: Any Ideas for VGC Notes (/Thread-VGC-Any-Ideas-for-VGC-Notes)

Pages: 1 2

Any Ideas for VGC Notes - Jetman99 - Oct 2, 2015

Hi all,
I would like to create a notebook where it has notes for VGC that need to be known or referred to when needed. I would like to do this to help out me and my friends. I may even use it for extra information.

So if there is any information that you feel is necessary for VGC can you please post it below so I can copy it down and use for myself and share with the VGC community and my friends.

I can legally gen any Pokemon you want but use at your own caution.

RE: Any Ideas for VGC Notes - Delta - Oct 2, 2015

So, you want notes? Okay, here are a few:

Understand your team. I mean, even if it isn't a well balanced team at first, play with it a lot, and then decide what you can change to fit it's main threats.

Take the time to find the right EVs. I know it can take a lot of time, but it could be very worth it. Figure out what you want to survive, and then go from there. A few good baselines are: Landorus Therian Earthquake, Mega Kangaskhan Double Edge, Life Orb Aegislash Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon, and there are many other things to be worried about.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Just because everyone else is using CHALK, doesn't mean you have to. Often Pokemon that will fit your team the best aren't the most standard Pokemon.

These are just a few tips I would give somebody playing VGC. Delta out.

RE: Any Ideas for VGC Notes - Jetman99 - Oct 2, 2015

Thank you Delta.

Funny enough and not lying I was using Machamp and Arcanine in April but then used chalk teams.

RE: Any Ideas for VGC Notes - Pokeventurer - Oct 2, 2015

i can avail you a metagame list as for now, this is only my own opinion and i do know that i am missing tons of things here and there, anyways i'll try

Metamon

. Kangashan (Mega)
. Landorus
. Thundurus
. Cresselia
. Amoongus
. Heatran
. Teraakion
. Breloom
. Suicune
. Entei
. Salamence (Mega)
. Gardevoir (Mega mostly, some run surprise scarf/specs)
. Scrafty
. Aegislash
. Rotom-w/h
. Tyranitar
. Azumarill
. Politoed
. Smeargle
. Ludicolo
. Charizard (Mega Y)
. Venusaur (Mega mostly, some run chlorophyll with LO/sash)
. Raichu
. Gengar
. Ferrothorn
. Togekiss
. Hydreigon
. Bisharp
. Garchomp
. Milotic
. Volcarona
. Sylveon
. Arcanine
. Gothitelle
. Conkeldurr
. Metagross (Mega)
. Gastrodon

Items:
. Sitrus berry
. Focus sash
. Choice items
. Rocky helmet
. Mega Stones
. Leftovers
. Damage reducting berries (wacan, haban, yachi, etc...)
. Life orb
. Weakness policy

i use this type of information while teambuilding, i'll jot down all the metamons then put a start to my team, wit each mon added i'll tick the mon it counters, i recently started to use this strategy to build a team both fun to use and counter all the meta mons with itself. seeing both common mons i am weak to and items i can choose bring me up ideas quickly on what type should be put there. Hope this helps you!

RE: Any Ideas for VGC Notes - Pokeventurer - Oct 2, 2015

Just for a few more things:
. Don't think if you are really good or very bad, probably the no. one rule of competitive play. there are alot of idiots out there who will try to bring u down, and over confidence is a poison to your own level, always try to look at what went wrong and fix that in your own team, don't hesitate to use other's advice and experiment alot. never point fingers at others, blaming them (something i did whence i started :P )
. Play your own team and play what you feel the most comfortable with, as Delta said too, find your playstyle by observing what you enjoy the most and stick to that when going into a battle, meta or anti-meta doesn't really matter as good or bad. if you like playing CHALK than stick to that idea if you don't get it or can't play it after it's huge success then find what you bring the most effectively on the field, it'll take some time to figure out especially if you are just starting.
. Playstyles to me, are not limited to either a roll b/w defensive or offensive, mixed etc... i take it as a term like the spark you like to have in your mons, teams or a move or two that you know how to use and use well even if it seems pretty bad or good.
. Metagame shifts very quickly over time, so don't be afraid to make changes in the teams you have made who don't work.

RE: Any Ideas for VGC Notes - Jetman99 - Oct 2, 2015

Thank you Naitre and Pokeventurer these things have been duely noted.

RE: Any Ideas for VGC Notes - Marcusube - Oct 2, 2015

Read up on Nugget Bridge articles, guides and reports as well as subscribe and keep up with experienced VGC players on YouTube and Twitch. Learning from others mistakes and achievements gives you viable information that helps with both teambuilding and battling.

Never be afraid to try new things even if they don't complement your battle style. Not because you like Hyper Offense doesn't mean that you shouldn't try more defensive playstyles. Remember that Pokemon has a meta and you have to play within its jurisdictions.

Spend time working on team synergy, movesets, EV spreads and leads.

You can't just throw 6 Pokemon together and make a team or say "because I am weak to Landorus-T, let me use Milotic because it checks it". This mentality will get you killed

Take a proactive approach to the meta not a reactive one. There are 721 Pokemon in the Pokedex and around 40 are commonly used in VGC. 40 is a pretty big number compared to the 6 mons on your team so trying to counter/check everything isn't possible. Focus more on the game plan and less on the metagame.

Get a team of friends or acquaintances that are willing to help you test your team. To be honest, team testing on Showdown's ladder isn't very effective seeing as how you have a lot of inexperienced players, trolls and teams more suited for Best-of-one not Best-of-three so you will be blindsided by some strange tactics.

Post your teams on a forums (heck even this one) if you want constructive criticism on your team. Don't expect everyone to be nice, to baby you or to always have an answer for your concerns but it doesn't hurt to try. Who knows what you will find!

That's about it for me :D

RE: Any Ideas for VGC Notes - GiMYz - Oct 2, 2015

(Oct 2, 2015, 09:23 AM)Jetman99 Wrote: if there is any information that you feel is necessary for VGC

1) Order in which pokemon's abilities activate on the field (sometimes they reveal which item your opponent's pokemon is holding - ex. if his/her Landorus-T's Intimidate activates after your Weavile's Pressure, that means Lando-T is holding a Choice Scarf).

2) Count every turn of Tailwind (4 turns including the turn it's been used) and Trick Room, Sun/Rain/Hail (5, same mechanism) to play correctly if you want to stall out these turns using Protect.

4) Identify your win condition. If your opponent's team has problems to deal with one of your team members (ex. Ferrothorn), you must use it to your advantage. Play carefully, don't take unnecessary damage with it and try to KO the most dangerous threat to it (ex. your opponent's Fire type pokemon) and you will be able to put your opponent in a tough spot.

3) Know your team! You should be aware of most of the damage calculations of your team. If you know your pokemon is going to survive 1, 2 or 3 specific hits, you don't have to switch it out and you can get potentially surprise your opponent. If you know that a single attack from one of your mons won't get a 100% KO on an opposing pokemon, try to double target it for safety! But watch out for a potential Protect.

4) Stat modifications. (ex. if your opponent connects an Icy Wind on your 100 Speed stat M-Venusaur, you know that your speed stat will become 66. Apply math everytime assuming your opponent is using a standard set on its pokemon, and you'll - most likely -always know in which order every pokemon on the field is going to attack).

[Image: 8RIicKR.png]

RE: Any Ideas for VGC Notes - El Miguel VGC - Oct 3, 2015

I dont think it's been mentioned to write down SPEED TIER notes. You have to know what kind of pokemon you can and cannot outspeed. This is important to me.

When in a tourney battle, I just jot down the opposing team, their moves and their items. Those and speed are the things you must be especially aware of. Also, as said before, write down your counters for tailwind, trick room etc.

RE: Any Ideas for VGC Notes - Shachi - Oct 4, 2015

Best tip that i got back when playing magic the gathering alot was, Know your win condition. Basicly know what you can win with. If it's a gimic like using ninjask to swords dance with speed boost to then baton pass it out. Know how you can do that eatch and every time. Also, practice alot.