Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

(No longer spoilers) Full Alolan Dex revealed: VGC17 analysis
Alright! As promised many times, here are the comeback Pokemon! I'm going to enjoy this one! :D

Snorlax
[Image: snorlax.png]
Oh, my old pal Snorlax. I whole-heartedly welcome you back. Mega Kangaskhan was a cruel mistress to you. As an overpowered normal type who did everything but bulk better than you, people didn't even want to consider you as an overall great normal type to add to their team...because most likely, they already had the broken Khan. But thank Goomy that she is gone alas! Your special bulk is un-matched, and any special attacker would hate having to go up against you! Your physical bulk is also quite nice, thanks to one of the highest HP stats in the game! Being a Normal type means you only get STAB on Return and Body Slam, but it also means that only Fighting types will think about trying to threatening you. Overall, you're hard to take down, have great coverage as any normal type should, you're a good Trick Room sweeper, and people just love using a goofy and appealing Pokemon like you! And hey, your new Z move Pulverizing Pancake looks beyond epic! I wouldn't be surprised if it's more powerful than other Z moves based on the fact that it's exclusive to you! Once again, welcome back, buddy. :')

Metagross
[Image: metagross.png]
Gen 6 gave Metagross a bit of an identity crisis. When I saw that Steel no longer resists Ghost and Dark, I immediately thought, "Oh, poor Metagross and Bronzong. Sad " Then ORAS came, and Metagross got a deserving Mega evolution. Mega Metagross was good, but it wasn't nice to Metagross itself. It focused on offensive pressure more than coverage and bulk, and after the 2015 Missouri regionals where it had a breakout success thanks to a circle of very competitive friends, it disappeared off the VGC scene for good. Not even 1 Megagross made it to Day 2 of Nationals. Sad

However, with no Mega to choose from, and with less Pokemon to stand in the way, Metagross will return to true form. Its attack and bulk are well above average, and its steel typing makes it a nuisance to some to take down. Steel and Psychic coverage together isn't that great, but the other moves it gets, like Ice Punch, Earthquake, and a powerful Bullet Punch, make it well worth the ride. If were are to believe that the Alolan Guardians will be popular, Metagross will be a great check to them!

Salamence
[Image: salamence.png]
Wait, isn't Salamence, like, sort of OP in VGC 16? Yeah, Mega Salamence. Truth is, its Mega and the way it was run in VGC 14 are two very different Pokemon from a competitive viewpoint. Once Mega Salamence came along, no one used regular Salamence ever again. Fully special Scarf Salamence was very prominent back then, which may have led to the trend in Scarf Landorus later. With less Intimidaters and overall competition, you can expect to see it return to form. Thank Goomy, too. I was getting sick of Mega Salamence after VGC16.

*leaks happen.*

OH GOSH. The new, full-on leaks turned a lot of this stuff on its side. I think it's best if I focus on those now, as they will have a lot of influence.

So...next post!: I will be going over the Pokemon that have had their stats buffed as well as their abilities changed. Trust, you don't want to miss these crazy changes...

Messages In This Thread
RE: *Spoilers* Full Alolan Dex revealed: VGC17 analysis - by MagnusHexem - Nov 10, 2016, 07:36 AM