Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Are these two pokemon a good base for a smogon OU team?
(Nov 14, 2016, 06:25 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Absol and Tangrowth aren't switchins to Landorus-Therian and it's possible to run a Pokemon which can check it more effectively

So the core has a big weakness and it has to be fixed, which is why I said it probably wasn't a good base for a team since a core is often described has two (or three) who can counter/check each others' checks and don't really share weaknesses (which is obviously why a core is effective or it isn't). Then again you said the core needed another Pokémon, so I can't say too much about that.

(Nov 14, 2016, 06:25 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Tangrowth can 1v1 Landorus if Landorus is defensive which is the most common set. Not to mention how Regenerator and Giga Drain both allow Tangrowth to sustain itself

My point is that it gives Lando a free U-Turn, which (obviously) allows you too switch, so in most situations Lando won't have to 1v1 Tangrowth, and since they run Lefties over Rocky Helmet, it can't even hurt it since it will U-Turn around.

(Nov 14, 2016, 06:25 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Keldeo (bar specs unless you're running AV)

I read that quickly and got it wrong, so I'm completely sorry about that.

(Nov 14, 2016, 06:25 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Type synergy only matters when considering a defensive core or an offensive core

That is true, but a core are often either an offensive/defensive core, which (as you said) need type synergy, or a balanced core, which doesn't necessarily need type synergy. But, balanced core are (often) based on a Pokémon supporting the other, and Tangrowth doesn't help against much in my opinion. Then again, that is my point of view, because you could probably name a ton of Pokémon/moves/whatever that could be handled by Tangrowth and that would be threatening to Absol, and I could probably go on for hours about why they don't have synergy and/or that Tangrowth can't handle most threats to Absol/support it.

(Nov 14, 2016, 06:25 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Saying type synergy matters for an entire team is basically saying that a team of for instance

Azumarill, Tangrowth, Heatran, Latios, Weavile and Conkeldurr

is solid because each member of the team has a switch in, when in reality a team like this gets steamrolled by an offensive DSF core or even the basic Lando/Lati/Keldeo core

I think you either misunderstood what I said or I wasn't clear enough (in which case I am sorry about that): I meant that starting your team with a core that share a common weakness that is very common in the current metagame isn't very good in my opinion because, like I previously said, a core is two (or three) Pokémon who can counter/check each others' checks and don't really share weaknesses, which is why you usually start your team with the core; it gives you a solid start.

I didn't answer some stuff, either because I thought you were right about some points or because some stuff was a bit obvious. At the end of the day, I don't think it's good and you think it is, so let's agree to disagree @Marcusube ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are these two pokemon a good base for a smogon OU team? - by croissant - Nov 14, 2016, 06:52 PM