Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] (yet incomplete) Team built around Trevenant and Trick-Room
I know this sounds probably gimmicky as hell and it probably will be, but Trevenant is one of my favourite Pokemon ever and I used him in the TCG already (a long time before the current deck with Wally became big) and I wondered if there is no combination to make him useful in a VGC double battle format.

I'm still at the beginning of figuring things out, but I wondered if I can collect ideas and thoughts from experienced players here. Sort of like a brainstorming session. I haven't been very active recently and I apologize for that, but I hope some people can write down some thoughts, ideas, criticism, whatever.

So far I'm considering a Trevenant team with both abilities - Harvest and Natural Cure. No definite movesets, EV or IV spreads yet.

Here are both sections:

Harvest Trevenant:

pros:
  • will produce Lum/Sitrus Berries every turn, if sun is shining
  • useful for stalling, if EV/IV is set to defensive focus
  • "Rest" will keep Trevenant alive for a long time, unless OHKO'd
  • Forest's Curse can give Sun creator(if Fire)/ice/flying/bug types easier KOs
  • with Forest's Curse + Poison Jab and appropriate spread good damage output
cons:
  • the Draught Pokemon are not the fastest
  • Trevenant is even slower, probably would need Trick Room set-up in any case
  • fastest sunny day Pokemon (no mega) is Ninjask, followed by the likes of Crobat and Weavile --> waste of a turn
  • if you think of Forest's Curse+Poison Jab+Rest - only one spot is left (Wood Hammer? Leech Horn? Leech Seed?)
  • since Trevenant's defensive stats aren't the best, could probably use a Helping Hand user

Natural Cure Trevenant:

pros:
  • Trevenant could always switch out and heal possible status
  • gives team more flexibility
  • doesn't rely as much on Sunny Day/Drought partner
  • Forest's Curse can give fire/ice/bug/flying types easier KOs
  • with Forest's Curse + Poison Jab and appropriate spread good damage output/checks Fairies

cons:
  • who would waste a move like Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave on Trevenant?
  • prone to Rocks, Spikes and the likes due to frequent switching out if hurt by status
  • demands Trick-Room set-up 
  • can't stall, only frequent healing option would be "Ingrain" which makes Trevenant practicly defenseless
  • since Trevenant's defensive stats aren't the best, could probably use a Helping Hand user

Both variants would probably require different EV/IV spreads and different move sets. I added some ideas in the pros/cons. Let me know if you can think of better sets.
As for possible team mates. So far I thought of the following:

Primal Groudon
M-Charizard Y
Ninetails
Cresselia (Trick-Room)
Togekiss (Helping Hand/Follow Me/Flying Stab)

Crobat (not viable in Trick-Room scenario)
Weavile (                       ""                          )

That's very basic for now and should cover the first two partners of Trevenant. As for the remaining 3, I haven't thought about them yet, but will probably update this post or just post more ideas in the replies. If some of you have some ideas, just post them away. Always open for criticism, as well (but consider that I'm not trying to win championships, just have some fun and of course try to win at least sometimes Wink)

Messages In This Thread
(yet incomplete) Team built around Trevenant and Trick-Room - by marumaruko - Mar 28, 2016, 02:05 AM