Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Is Alakazam a competitively useful Pokemon?
(Mar 30, 2017, 03:53 PM)Black117 Wrote: For VGC, as you mentioned, the thing about Alakazam is that is has a low HP and Defense stat so its needs to 2HKO or setup OHKOs for its partners with its high special attack and speed stats. I know Alakazam does has access to support moves like Encore, Thunder Wave, Disable, etc, its still better off attempt to hit as hard as possible with its Psychic STAB options. There's not really much Alakazam can do aside be a glass special attacker, though Tapu Lele is a good partner to boosts its Psychic attacks and prevent any form of priority from harming it. However, Alakazam's best partner, is actually its worse competition since Tapu Lele hits harder in and kinda outclasses it as the main special attacker. Magic Guard is nice to have to pair with Life Orb and Focus Sash, but I feel that it needs a proper player to make the right predictions against its opponent.

Though I haven;'t played singles in awhile, I do know Alakazam Magic Guard ability really shine given the prevalence of hazards, working as an emergency Focus Sash user, or just hitting hard with Life Orb without suffer from recoil. Mega Alakazam is viable in the singles meta given again Tapu Lele helping it out with boosting its Psychic-type attacks and prevent any form of priority form harming it. You probably will need hard response to pesky Steel- and Dark-type like Mega Metagross, and Tyranitar respectively so Fighting-types can help there.

@Black117 Thanks for your help! I don't think I'll be using an Alakazam too much this year.... Maybe next time!
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Alakazam a competitively useful Pokemon? - by RetroTyphlosion - Mar 30, 2017, 04:14 PM