Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Justin's Health problems and what not.
(Dec 13, 2014, 01:45 PM)Justin Wrote:
(Dec 13, 2014, 05:17 AM)seabiscuit68 Wrote: Did the doctors indicate you should get treatment? Typically, this is treatable with either surgery or a non surgical method using a balloon to close the hole. Most doctors won't suggest treatment for heart related issues until they become symptomatic...which it sounds like yours is.

The balloon is used in a majority of cases now and it's pretty routine and relatively non invasive (hole in your thigh or groin to get to the artery which leads to the heart).

Source: I work for a large med device company specializing in the heart...

My prayers are with you. Thankfully you have roommates / girlfriend and an active online community for support as well, but a little faith can go a long way.

Yes these are my options but not only am I scared but I can't afford insurance because I have a pre existing condition. It's a catch 22. Need money for doctors, must work for money, can't work because sick. Anyway I'm going to figure it out ASAP. Thanks for the help and concern Smile

With Obamacare, it is illegal to raise insurance rates / deny coverage for a pre-existing condition. You should be able to go on Nevada's Health Exchange (or the Federal one if Nevada does not have their own) and find a health insurance that will work for you. I would suggest one with as low of out of pocket yearly max as possible, so that when you do the procedure, you are capped at a certain amount that you have to pay.

Also note that the health care industry is VERY willing to help with payment plans. In America, it is very difficult for hospitals to actual get the money they deserve, so contacting the finance group at the hospital will allow you to work out a plan for repayment where you can still afford to live, but also pay the hospital.

There are options, so don't fear that.

As for the actual condition, there are multiple types, but if the doctor said there would be options for non-surgical closure, that is a good thing. Balloons are the preferred method these days and have a 95% closure success rate. The greatest risk to you during the procedure is infection, but the risk of infection for this operation is the same as any surgical operation.

The key thing is to get your options and to get it done sooner rather than later. It is much better for the long term impact on your heart to get it corrected asap.

Messages In This Thread
Justin's Health problems and what not. - by Justin - Dec 13, 2014, 03:39 AM
RE: Justin's Health problems and what not. - by seabiscuit68 - Dec 13, 2014, 02:21 PM
RE: Justin's Health problems and what not. - by Rex - Dec 13, 2014, 07:09 PM
RE: Justin's Health problems and what not. - by SCf3 - Dec 21, 2014, 01:33 PM