Poll: Do you think Alomomola will be viable in VGC 2017?
Yes!
No...
Maybe?
[Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Alomomola Takes Priority! - with 0kamii
Hey @Marcusube. You raise some very good points. I acknwoledged Alomomola's weaknesses in my analysis, and I fully admit that this mon is lacking defensively. However, I think Alomomola still dserves a chance. Matter of fact, during testing for this post on Pokemon Showdown, very few opponents struck Alomomola first because they figured it was useless. Imagine their surprise when it used Wide Guard and blocked Earthquake, Discharge, and on occasion Blizzard. Sure, it would then be targeted, as the opponent then realized how troublesome it could be. The test battles I ran showed that trainers thought little of Alomomola, which is about what I expected might I add, ultimately giving me the edge I needed to offput them. It's unorthodox, I know. And even if you tinker with Alomomola and it turns out not to work for you, that's perfectly okay! Like I said, it's not meant to be revolutionizing, and I'm still trying to tinker with new Emolga strategies and now Alomomola as well.

So to answer your main concerns concisely: Will it survive turn one? In my experience, yes. Almost always. How much impact will it make? That will depend on the skill of the player. Personally I'm terrible with prediction, but using Helping Hand always gives my moves the extra boost I need to pick up the KO, same with the protection of Wide Guard. Milotic, Fini, as far as I know, don't get these moves and rely on their own strength. Araquanid does get Wide Guard and Soak, but my main issue with that is its weakness to Rock-Type moves. Rock Slide is very common, as is Gigalith with Stone Egde. My fish doesn't have that weakness. Why use Alomomola? I can't say why you should use it, least not for reasons already covered above. I can tell you why I use it...because she works! Smile Is she the best however? I guess we'll just have to see, won't we? (My personal Alomomola is named Kanalu, that's why it's a she.)

Thanks so much for the feedback, and I appreciate the inquiry. If you want, feel free to watch my battles on Pokemon Showdown. The name's Kayaba Ao. Best wishes to you and your VGC experiences!

- 0kmaii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

Messages In This Thread
Alomomola Takes Priority! - with 0kamii - by 0kamii - May 8, 2017, 07:14 PM
RE: Alomomola Takes Priority! - with 0kamii - by 0kamii - May 10, 2017, 10:21 AM