Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Breeding Q&A: All Your Curiosities Answered!
Star 
Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, and once again I'm suprised by my own poll results.

Between the three options, I thought the one about actual Hawaiian culture compared to Alolan was going to be the victor. It took an early lead, but this one managed to steal the show in a matter of days. Soon, it was ahead by three points. And as usual, you voted, so I write. I'm not going to include a cover image today, because frankly this post isn't going to need one. I'm just answering question that you all may have about breeding.

You're probably wondering why you should listen to me when it comes to matters on this. Well, I've been breeding since 2012, and I have helped out many users on the sight, most recently through the services of my breeding guild, Amethyst 0mega. Not only that, but I've taught some friends in real-life how to breed mons for tournaments and competitions before. Ignore me if you want, I can't force you. However, if I pretend for a moment that I do have your undivided attention, you can ask me anything about breeding that you want. I will answer clearly, and concisely. But first, before any of the questions begin to roll, I want to do a quick FAQ, in case one of these is your question.

Breeding FAQ
[Image: JD5-JarM.jpg]

1) Why breed for pokémon at all? What's the benefit?

Simply put, bred pokémon are better than the ones caught in the wild. If you breed for a pokémon, it'll have better stats, better moves, an ideal nature, and the ability you want. If you tried to catch a pokémon in the wild, you're leaving all of that to probability. Breeding is both faster and more efficient.

2) How can I get started?

If you don't want to request the services of my guild, then all you need to do to get started is decide which pokémon you want to breed. Say for example, you want to breed a Drifblim for VGC. Pick the nature, IVs, ability, possibly any egg moves, and if required, the gender. Once you have all of that decided, you need to start gathering the necessary tools.

[Image: drifloon.png] → [Image: drifblim.png]

3) What are the necessary tools to begin breeding?

The most basic things you'll want to have when starting a breed is a pokémon of the desired species, a parent with the right nature, a Destiny Knot, an Everstone, any necessary Power Items, a handful of pokémon with Synchronize as their ability, a pokémon with Flame Body/Magma Armor, and a lot of patience.

4) How do I get these items?

Check around the forums for the pokémon you want, I'm sure you'll find someone willing to trade you. If not, you can always find one in-game. The pokémon with Synchronize must have the desired nature. Abra has Synchronize and can be found in Sun and Moon on Route 2. The Destiny Knot and the Power Items are all obtained through BP at the Battle Royal Dome and the Battle Tree. Everstones can be found in Poké Pelago, or on wild Roggenrola. Fletchinders with Flame Body are found on Akala Island. Patience however, that has to come from within.

5) Is breeding tough?

That depends on what you're trying to breed. If it's a pokémon with a long hatch time, or a skewed gender ratio, then yes. It can be. It's easy to get frustrated, but it's usually fairly easy to alleviate the stress by doing something else while you breed. Watch a speedrun, flip through channels, make lunch, browse YouTube videos. Keep yourself distracted while hatching and you should be fine.

6) Why breed over clone/hacking services?

There isn't a good reason. Both methods are legal. I prefer breeding because I'm an advocate of legitimate mons over legal ones. Cloning or hacking a pokémon is faster, in most cases, but it's just something I've never found appealing. Do it if you want, I've no qualms with that. I just think breeding and raising the pokémon yourself is more rewarding.

7) Why doesn't Amethyst 0mega breed 6 IVs mons, or Shinies?

Probability. Thanks to the boost that the Destiny Knot got in Gen 6, an egg will now inherit 5 of its parents' 12 IVs. That means the last one has a 1/31 chance of being perfect. And that is completely out of our hands. You'll rarely need to have a pokémon with perfect IVs anyway, and you'll usually use them as if they had 5 IVs regardless. Same thing for Shinies. Just too much probability. Besides, Shiny hunting is a whole other discussion. The odds are 1/683 with the Masuda Method, and that's once chance to hatch a Shiny with the right ability, nature, IVs, and gender. Too many variables for it to be a providable service. If you really want a perfect 6 IV Shiny with such and such stats and abilities, I suggest cloning or PkHex.

8) Who can I turn to for further help?

Myself and the guild of course. We all have different specialties. If one member can't help you, surely another one can.

9) How do you know if you've done it right?

Just use the Judge function in your PC. You have to hatch 20 eggs first, then talk to the judge at the Battle Tree, but after that it's just the click of a tab. If a stat says 'Best,' you'll know the IV is perfect. 'Fantastic' means that it's a stat of 30. You'll only ever need to know that if you're trying to breed for different Hidden Powers.

[Image: fiverr2.jpg]

10) Can I breed for Hidden Powers right away?

I'd say no. It took me a while to learn how to breed normally, and I only recently mastered Hidden Power breeding in 2016. It's a really annoying technique, and very tricky to pull off. I'd suggest asking one of the guild members for help on that if that's what you need.

If you're interested in a 6 IV Ditto like the one pictured above, there's a great little group of people dedicated to just that. Surf around on the site and you'll find someone that can get you one. At least until the usual place is back online: (http://pokemonforever.com/Thread-GIVEAWA...emporarily).

Also, if you're interested in joining Amethyst 0mega, we're not currently accepting new members. But we will sometime in August. There will be an entrance exam, though. So be prepared to breed anything.

If you have a question that wasn't already answered here, feel free to leave the question in the thread below and I'll respond with an answer as quickly as possible. Our next giveaway, BR VGC Dragon-Type pokémon, is schedule for next weekend, so get those Finneon ready, and I'll see you all on Monday with a new post.

Here's an updated list of all Amethyst 0mega guild members:

- 0kamii
- RetroTyphlosion
- wartty
- ScottyThunder
- LittleFoxS

Feel free to ask one of us a question if you have an inquiry. We're always willing to help the community with their breeding needs.

Thanks for reading. Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

D': was seriously looking forward to the Hawaiian culture post D': must contain my disappointment....... First lol
@wartty

I wanted to make that post too. But what's to be done there, cousin? The people voted for this, and that probably means they have questions for us. Be prepared to answer them, and I'll get around to comparing Hawai'i to Alola soon enough. It's a post I have full intentions of making. Big Grin

- 0kamii

@0kamii and it'll just become more enriched over time as your knowledge expands x3 more to look forward too lol quality work as always just finished reading through ~ well you know I got plenty of materials and even some of my own tips ready for anyone in need :p
(Jul 21, 2017, 09:40 AM)wartty Wrote: D': was seriously looking forward to the Hawaiian culture post D': must contain my disappointment....... First lol
Same here....  Sad

but @0kamii i have some questions abot breeding for a trickroom team ive never done this before and i need some advices

-fantasy 
​​
ps: i alwas enjoy reading your posts keep going
@wartty Appreciate the help as always, cousin.

@iimlF4nT4Sy Glad to see you enjoy the posts. As for your questions, I'd love to help you with them, but can you be a bit more specific than, "I have some questions about breeding for a Trick Room team"?

Exactly what would you like to know?

- 0kamii

@0kamii August, you say?  *Starts rubbing her hands together ploting*
Mawr
ok heres my question

can u breed me a judgment bidoof k thx bye
@0kamii  I have a question about hidden powers.
Let's just say I need a shiny carvahna with hidden power grass , how will I be able to breed that?
And also how can you breed the hidden power you want
i have a horrible habit of breeding for a while, but check it's movepool and realize it's garbage >.>