Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Bulky Pokemon Really Take the Fun out of Metagame.
LOL The title perfectly describes VGC16
(Sep 10, 2016, 11:46 PM)Black117 Wrote: From my experience using Volcarona (in BS Doubles / VGC 15), its such an underrated Pokemon despite the strong presence of CHALK like teams with Heatran and Rock Slide users. Typically Volcarona does have some defensive investment to take one Non STAB Rock Slide, however in such matchups I strongly advise the fire moth is taken out before it can setup against special attackers. Remember that the Volcarona still has rather low Defense / HP values, even with investment so just hit it with powerful physical STAB, or Super Effective hit if possible. Crippling Volc with paralysis is a good way to mitigate its presence as you can outspeed it with both mons for the OHKO, or leave it unless its still a threat.

I'm assuming you tried to Sucker Punch the near low HP Volcarona, and then its started to recover and setup in front of both Vaporeon and Mega Kangaskhan. Was your Kangaskhan slowed down, or did Volc got the Quiver Dance boost prior? If anything, it seemed like your opponent out played you in the last turns via some Sucker Punch mine games, so I'd might have risked going for the STAB Normal move you have, but its kinda a 50/50 play.

To answer your question regarding "bulky" Pokemon, make sure you keep certain Pokemon available to for the late game, especially if Mega Kangaskhan can easily clean up with its parental bond attacks. There's a plentifully amount of capable wall breakers in VGC, notoriously Mega Kangaskhan is the most famous (possibly broken). There's also other mons like Char Y, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Salamence, Mega Mawile, Terrakion, Landorus-T, Sylveon, etc. For doubles specifically, the player just has to keep pressure against any setup Pokemon as its easier to do this than in a singles match.

If often difficult to sweep with Pokemon Like Volcarona, especially in a 2v2 environment, except there will be possible redirection support. Just keep this in mind.

PS: Toxic is kinda niche on bulky water-types in doubles, but can surely stop Calm Mind setup in its track, unless they have Rest.
Amazing answer! I did have a Jolteon with Toxic that I opened with due to Volt Switch...Only it died.

I killed it.

And Kangaskhan finished dropping the opponents 2nd 'mon (and was left with 16HP) when Volcarona dropped in. After reading this post, I noticed that I should've Double Edge'd, considering it's low DEF, and had Vaporeon sweep what was left (if anything).
I also could've used my Jolteon for STAB/Toxic as needed, then Volt Switch'ed and saved it until I knew the opponents full lineup, like I should have. Thanks for showing me the error in my ways, I shall redeem myself. Maybe.
Bulky Pokemon don't take the fun out of the metagame, they allow games to actually span out and not end in like 10 turns. If set up mons are a problem, you need to have a proactive approach to take them out. Either by phazing them out or carrying a super effective move. In the case of the Volcarona sweep, always expect people to run set up sets like this on the ladder. If I recall correctly, CurseTalk Snorlax is one of if not the most terrifying set up sweepers/walls in the game which is why people run checks for it in the UU tier which it resides