Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Competitive Luxray is viable?
So, my question is that: is it a Luxray viable in competitive play? The fact is just that I'm obsessed with that Pokemon, I love the design and even my first TCG deck is built around it (I'm absolutely new to that game, btw). So, I grabbed the idea of a Luxray with an adamant nature, Guts, flame orb and facade as its main damage dealer. In theory, it seems like a good idea.
But I'm aware of some problems: it would result in a glass cannon and there are better pokemons for that, it's not as fast as other electric types yet not as slow to include it in a Trick Room team, it would need a ton of misdirection, healing or protection options from a very good tank but I can't resolve who's better for that purpose (I've thought Clefairy, but I'm not super sure)...
So I just post it for your consideration and let me know if it's viable or if I just need not to be blinded by my love to that pokemon.
It generally runs Choice Band with Volt Switch, Ice Fang, Wild Charge and Superpower and functions as a wallbreaker as well as a pivot. It's also normally ran with Intimidate. A Guts set is tricky because Luxray's main attack also has recoil not to mention its base speed puts it at a disadvantage
I thought of that one too, actually. Most probably I'll do both, the Guts one for fun (because I like the idea of exploiting possible disadvantages like that) and the one @Marcusube says for possible competition. Thanks for the advice!
I run a guts set.

Luxray @ Flame Orb  
Ability: Guts  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Protect  
- Facade  
- Return  
- Quick Attack

It works fairly well. I would take the flame orb over the toxic orb, since I really don't think you'd like to be badly poisoned. The Guts fixes the burn's Atk drop.
Yeah, that was my main doubt, the Atk drop, but it seems that Guts covers it. As I said, I may train both and see which one works best for me.
(Aug 28, 2016, 11:17 AM)geetry Wrote: I run a guts set.

Luxray @ Flame Orb  
Jolly Nature  
- Protect  
- Facade  
- Return  
- Quick Attack

It works fairly well. I would take the flame orb over the toxic orb, since I really don't think you'd like to be badly poisoned. The Guts fixes the burn's Atk drop.

I wouldn't recommend this set since you don't have a STAB move, and mono-normal coverage is kinda bad.

Instead, I'd use this for a Guts set.

Luxray @ Flame Orb  
Jolly Nature  
- Protect  
- Facade  
- Ice Fang
- Wild Charge

To keep it healthy, pair it with a cleric to pass it Wishes. Hope I was able to help :]
I actually like a lot that last one. I may use that set if I can get a good cleric.