Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Competitive VGC Idea. Need help
So I was wonder trade Wednesday and got a shiny Purugly. I looked at the speed and Purugly has INCREDIBLE speed And not so good attack. ((Being the next highest stat.)) and it has Own Tempo. So what I was thinking having a Double Kitty Strat. I want to put Meowstic on the field with Purugly. Prankster Swagger on Purugly with Own Tempo means that I don't need to have that extra turn to set up Safeguard. I also put thunder wave on Meowstic for faster Pokemon that depend on speed and light screen, Relect for duel screens. For Purugly I have Fake Out for priority, Knock Off, Play Rough, both for coverage, and Return for Stab. For Items I thought Purugly can have either a Focus sash or a Life orb.

Now what I am having Trouble with is building my team around this Idea. When I tried this strat out I am able to get 1-2 KO with Purugly and Meowstic and I don't know what to back it up with. I think a Specs Sylveon with Hyper voice might be an Option but that's all I got.

I think it is a good idea but I need help with developing the Idea and make it work
I don't think that a sweeper own tempo idea can work, purugly has a better ability (defiant) for that purpose. i feel like with this mon u should probably go for a supportive build rather than an offensive one and put on a focus sash, purugly has great potential the VGC format regarding its supportive moves and own tempo to counter confusion moves like swagger and confuse ray. the moves holding importance in VGC that purugly can learn are the following:

Fake out (always a move to keep in your pocket)
Protect (a staple move and good on sashed mons)
Super fang (usual offense support on mons, probably this the faster one than scrafty and pachi, making KO'es easy to pick up)
Knock off (a good move to reveal information in a bo3)
Taunt (speaks for it's own importance, it can taunt almost anything back before they make a move, otherthan prankster mons)
Charm (a move seen rarely however has importance in VGC)
Covet (in the case of focus sash probably more useful)
Sunny day and Rain dance (best surprise weather disruption)
Swagger (obvious hax sometimes decides games in your favour)
Sand attack, growl (probably my own ideas but can work on specific teams

Hope my suggestions helped you.
(Jul 6, 2015, 06:12 AM)Pokeventurer Wrote: I don't think that a sweeper own tempo idea can work, purugly has a better ability (defiant) for that purpose. i feel like with this mon u should probably go for a supportive build rather than an offensive one and put on a focus sash, purugly has great potential the VGC format regarding its supportive moves and own tempo to counter confusion moves like swagger and confuse ray. the moves holding importance in VGC that purugly can learn are the following:

Super fang (usual offense support on mons, probably this the faster one than scrafty and pachi, making KO'es easy to pick up)
Taunt (speaks for it's own importance, it can taunt almost anything back before they make a move, otherthan prankster mons)

Ok thanks. So a better set would be Fake Out, Protect, Knock Off Super Fang?
And will my Meowstic work with it or have a different mon to help give it support?
Meowstic or Klefki are my favorite support Pokemon
(Jul 6, 2015, 06:20 AM)Curtistharder Wrote:
(Jul 6, 2015, 06:12 AM)Pokeventurer Wrote: I don't think that a sweeper own tempo idea can work, purugly has a better ability (defiant) for that purpose. i feel like with this mon u should probably go for a supportive build rather than an offensive one and put on a focus sash, purugly has great potential the VGC format regarding its supportive moves and own tempo to counter confusion moves like swagger and confuse ray. the moves holding importance in VGC that purugly can learn are the following:

Ok thanks. So a better set would be Fake Out, Protect, Knock Off Super Fang?
And will my Meowstic work with it or have a different mon to help give it support?

i meant that u should put purugly itself as a support pokemon on your team, not build around it as a sweeper, as far as meowstic goes, this meowstic should either be replaced or be a secondary support on the team
(Jul 5, 2015, 09:37 PM)Curtistharder Wrote: So I was wonder trade Wednesday and got a shiny Purugly. I looked at the speed and Purugly has INCREDIBLE speed And not so good attack. ((Being the next highest stat.)) and it has Own Tempo. So what I was thinking having a Double Kitty Strat. I want to put Meowstic on the field with Purugly. Prankster Swagger on Purugly with Own Tempo means that I don't need to have that extra turn to set up Safeguard. I also put thunder wave on Meowstic for faster Pokemon that depend on speed and light screen, Relect for duel screens. For Purugly I have Fake Out for priority, Knock Off, Play Rough, both for coverage, and Return for Stab. For Items I thought Purugly can have either a Focus sash or a Life orb.

Now what I am having Trouble with is building my team around this Idea. When I tried this strat out I am able to get 1-2 KO with Purugly and Meowstic and I don't know what to back it up with. I think a Specs Sylveon with Hyper voice might be an Option but that's all I got.

I think it is a good idea but I need help with developing the Idea and make it work

It's not a bad idea for a strategy but consider the fact that even at +2 Purugly still misses out on KOs, not to mention that it is a frail Pokemon. I could see this working but I think you would need a better support option than Meowstic. Perhaps Liepard, Sableye or even Thundurus-I if you're comfortable with legendaries. They have move speed, access to Taunt and better offensive/supportive options.
[Insert signature here]
Here's something that uses the Own Tempo Swagger combo
LIckilicky max attack Adamant nature Choice Band or Normal Gem and Explosion
Sableye with Swagger
It can possibly 1 hit Ko anything not immune or resistant to it

+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Lickilicky Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 184-217 (91 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Lickilicky Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 186-220 (92 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO