Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] A-Marowak Build Help
Hey guys,
I dont play much VGC, or any competetive format for that matter, and was trying to get into it a little and wondering if Belly Drum A-Marowak under Trick Room is viable or not. I've never even used A-Marowak before and it sounded fun so if anyone has recommendations on teamates or a different build, it would be greatly appreciated.

[Image: alolan_marowak__by_bananapistol-dbnlt5z.jpg]
Marowak-Alola @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Lightning Rod   
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SpD  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Flare Blitz  
- Shadow Bone  
- Detect / Bonemerang  
- Belly Drum

I was planning on using Porygon 2 as the TR setter but if theres a different one with better synergy let me know please.
Breeding Projects
Im always looking for new HA's, EM's, and mons in rare balls.
PM me if you wanna trade for something.
@Pokeballsohard Most things are viable if it's possible to effectively build a team around that strat. Marowak has the bulk and typing to pull off a Belly Drum Set, however i'm not sure if it's better than standard Thick Club Marowak.

Without Thick club, Marowak's Attack stat is quite meagre, even when boosted. Normalium-Z is not that good, since it restores HP BEFORE Belly Drum cuts it in half. A HP-restoring Berry would be better than Normalium-Z. Also, with a Belly Drum set, you lose the ability to switch freely. But with the right support, it could do some work. Porygon as a setter is fine, Cress and others work aswell. Bulu gives Earthquake saftey aswell as passive recovery, while also threatening mons like Ttar that resist Marowak's STAB moves. Hitmontop provides Fake Out and Intimidate which helps Marowak to set up, and it KOs Ttar. You need to have answers for mons that resists Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone, since you will be running Flare Blitz, Shadow Bone, Belly Drum and Detect and can't fit coverage. A redirector with Follow Me or Rage Powder helps Marowak to sweep, like Amoonguss or Clefairy.

I would suggest investing mostly in bulk, since your Attack will be +6 anyways.
Something like this can work: 252 HP / 20 Att / 236 SpDef with a Brave nature gives balanced bulk and some basic power. But a tailored spread for specific threats are most often the best.

Lightingrod is most effective in doubles due to so many Electric types, and if u have a mon weak against it. Rock Head keeps Marowak free to spam Flare Blitz but doesnt add much else, and if u go with Bulu, recoil wont hurt u as much anyway.

Cheers
"To believe in an ideal, is to be willing to betray it"
                 VGC, Friend Safari, Masuda
@PerchPond

So i should run Detect over bonemerang?
Breeding Projects
Oh yeah, Marowak is weak to so many of the most common spread moves like Rock Slide, Earthquake and Muddy water, so Wide Guard on Hitmontop alongside, Fake Out, Helping Hand and Close Combat could be really effective.
Ok thanks @PerchPond
Breeding Projects
@Pokeballsohard Yes, Protect or Detect is probably the most important move in Doubles, to stall out effects or avoid a double targetting. Only really bulky Pokémon like Cresselia or pure supports can afford to drop Protect, or if you use a Choice item
I know it wouldn't be very viable due to the high chance of getting KO'd but it would be fun to watch marowak with thick club plus belly drum. I think I would probably have things like wide guard and some form of healing such as heal pulse on a partner

Non Thick Club Marowak is too weak to keep up with the meta, A-Marowak is also too frail for setups. Also, if a mon can learn detect/spiky shield/king's shield, etc. run that move over protect to guard against imprison users like A-Muk.
Just a fossil from the days of olde.
Sword and Shield Trades