Poll: Should I make a post featuring my Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon theories?
This poll is closed.
Yes!
100.00%
10 100.00%
No...
0%
0 0%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Everything Awesome About the Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Map!
[Image: travel-to-ultra-megalopolis-in-pokemon-u...a-moon.jpg]

Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, and I'm making this post now before the chance slips away!

When the Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon map was released a few weeks ago, I should've jumped on the hype train and ridden it viciously! But I did not do that, and now I'm forced to catch up with everyone that already gushed over this gorgeous map. So I've decided to make up for lost time by sharing with you everything awesome that I've seen hiding in this map. Now at face value, it probably doesn't look like all that much has changed, minus a few very distinct features, but as a creative type myself, I can tell you right now that the devil is in the details. Along with the big changes, I also want to point out all the little details too. After all, we all know how much I love the little details in Sun and Moon. So brace yourself, for today I present to you:

Everything Awesome About the Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Map!

1) The Wormhole

Let's get the most obvious detail out of the way first. In case you hadn't noticed, there is a massive purple void hovering dangerously close to Poni Island. Trainers have been speculating what this means since we saw the map for the first time, and frankly I have a few theories of my own. The biggest one is probably that it has something to do with how we access Ultra Megalopolis. That and all of the new Ultra Beasts that have been revealed will probably come through there and populate Alola as they did in the first two games. Not only that, but notice how the wormhole casts a giant shadow over Poni Island, blocking all the light. I have a sneaking suspicion that this has something to do with how Necrozma reportedly stole all the light from Ultra Space, and that he may be trying to do the same in Alola using the mascot legendaries as a crutch. As the player, I speculate that Necrozma nearly succeeds, and it is your job as the player to end his nefarious scheme by catching him after he absorbs Solgaleo/Lunala. While we're on Poni Island, Exeggutor Island looks oddly untouched. Something to do with the mystic flute found there? We'll just have to see.

2) The Change in Color

This is a detail that some people probably wouldn't think twice about, but I've dabled in color theory. I know a change in tone when I see one based on a shift in spectrum. Notice how in the original map of Sun and Moon the water was a very deep blue, and here it's a sharp blood orange, or even straight up red in some places. Blue is a color that is used commonly in advertisement to evoke feelings of serenity, or easement. That's why most signs that say things like "Think Lot Term," or "Buy in Bulk" are in shades of blue. Red, on the other hand, is often associated with urgency, and even danger. Have you ever wondered why 'Stop' signs are red? Or why red lights are used to control traffic as opposed to blue, or purple? It's because various studies have suggested that the mind has a subconcious reaction to the color red, sparking fear or haste in the human brain. Therefore, I believe that the color change of the water from blue to red for the map of Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is not just because of the setting sun in the background, but rather because our second trip to Alola won't be nearly as welcoming as the first. Serious things are going to happen around the islands this time, and judging by the clouds rolling in, they aren't pleasant.

3) Shapes in the Clouds

Speaking of the clouds, this is another obvious one that I don't want to go too into because it's already been covered by many sources. I love that you can vaguely make out the shapes of all three primary Gen 4 legendaries in the clouds. Palkia is to the left, Dialga towards the bottom, and Giratina in the upper right. Hints that Sinnoh remakes are already in development? I sure hope so! Also, is that a Gyarados to the right, above Ula'ula Island? How'd he get up there?

4) The Pod of Wailord

Lastly, I want to say that this detail is probably my favorite! We knew beforehand that they were probably going to introduce more pokémon into the Alola Dex after the VERY conducive 302 that we had to choose from before. Even fewer if you consider that the mascots and mythics were banned in competitive. However, seeing that pod of Wailord swimming between the islands is a great, frankly subtle way of letting all of us know that this isn't the same Alola that we travelled through the first time. There's going to be more pokémon, and we're sure to make friends with all the new additions to the islands along the way. Which, in and of itself, is a great reference to the fact that on the real Islands of Hawaii, many of the native species are actually invasive, having come from other islands, the mainland, or introduced by humans. No doubt that this means a broad new horizon of pokémon to choose from, and I can't wait to see the full selection! I don't know what took them so long to add Tropius to the Alola Dex, but better late than never, I suppose!

Well, that's all for Monday's post! It's really fun looking over the map and scrutinizing over every detail. Hopefully I've pointed out something that y'all hadn't noticed before. Make no mistake, I'm just as hyped for these games as I was when this map was first released, and looking further into it only made me more excited. I'd love to share more of my personal theories about the events in Alola come Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, but that'll be a post for a different day! Don't forget to tell me what you love about the new Alolan map below, and I'll see you all on Wednesday with my next post.

Thanks so much for reading, everyone! Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

I could care less about the new map honestly. Not that I don't like it, I just care about it lol
OU MASTER RACE
@0kamii I am trying to not look at the USUM news as much as possible to stay hype so I did not re all you wrote but hey, looks cool to me! I can't wait for release, really hope they add alolan forms or something  (crossing my fingers for fire steel klingklang)
One word: Amazing

I was reading from top to below everything , its like reading an official famous site of pokemon descriptions like corocoro.

Good thing that you are here Okami.

The most interesting thing of the 4 that i liked is the part 2 ''change in colors'' About the danger of going to happen in New games (even if it was kind of expected)
Can't wait to see your Theories post, want to see if mine are similar
OU MASTER RACE
@Drangor2

Thanks for the feedback, Drangor. Unfortunately I lack the resources to be as efficient as CoroCoro, but it's fun interpreting information my own way.

@Kris

It seems there's some demand for it, so I'll have to put that into the posting queue. Big Grin

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

Great read i always like how game freak has little hints spread out here and there whenever they release a new pic or trailer.
Words i live by - Good Luck and Chance.