Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Is Alakazam a competitively useful Pokemon?
So, I've been thinking about everyone's favorite Psychic type, Alakazam, and I began to wonder if it was a competitively useful Pokemon. So, looking at its stats, movepool, and all the other things on the Internet, I began to research into it to see if it was really the great Pokemon its cracked up to be. Here's what I got:
Alakazam has a semi-decent base stat total of 500. All of its physical-based stats are terrible. Its base Defense is the absoultely horrible 40, meaning that if it takes a physical attack, its done for. Its Attack is 50, which is very bad. However, this doesn't bother Alakazam very much, as it only learns one physical move from leveling up (Psycho Cut). Its HP is 55, which is also incredibly bad. But enough with all these poor stats! Its Sp. Defense is 95, which, while not spectacular, is not as bad as some of its other stats. Then we get to is best stats, its Speed and Spec. Attack. Alakazam is a fairly fast Pokemon, with a base Speed of 120. This gets even better with its incredible base Spec. Attack of 135. This proves quite useful for Alakazam, as most of its moves are Special. As for its movepool, Alakazam surprisingly learns mostly Status moves. However, considering that Alakazam is such a glass cannon, it is probably better to take the only-Attacks route with its moveset. As for its attacks, they're not too great, except for Psychic or the iffy Future Sight. Alakazam can also learn Recover from Level-up, but, seeing how Alakazam is made to be a sweeper, you may not choose to use it. Alakazam can only learns Statuses and Physical moves from breeding, so don't worry about those. For TM's, they're not too great, and most can be topped by Psychic. There is Psyshock, though (still not as good as Psychic), Hyper Beam, Protect, and Shadow Ball. Also, let's take a look at its Mega Evolution. While Megas were not allowed in this year's VGC, it is good to look at what it could have been.  It now has a base stat of 600. Its HP Attack, and Defense are still awful, but it Speed, Spec. Attack, and Spec. Defense are no longer completely terrible. Now, it can hit much harder and me way more powerful. For using it in battles, you will want to avoid Trick Room, as it will turn its high Speed against it and destroy it with its low Defenses. You may want to pair it with a Tapu Lele for Psychic Terrain to boost its Psychic-type attacks. 
In conclusion, Alakazam is a Glass-Cannon Pokemon that can be used in VGC as long as you use it correctly and keep it in the right conditions.
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
For VGC, as you mentioned, the thing about Alakazam is that is has a low HP and Defense stat so its needs to 2HKO or setup OHKOs for its partners with its high special attack and speed stats. I know Alakazam does has access to support moves like Encore, Thunder Wave, Disable, etc, its still better off attempt to hit as hard as possible with its Psychic STAB options. There's not really much Alakazam can do aside be a glass special attacker, though Tapu Lele is a good partner to boosts its Psychic attacks and prevent any form of priority from harming it. However, Alakazam's best partner, is actually its worse competition since Tapu Lele hits harder in and kinda outclasses it as the main special attacker. Magic Guard is nice to have to pair with Life Orb and Focus Sash, but I feel that it needs a proper player to make the right predictions against its opponent.

Though I haven;'t played singles in awhile, I do know Alakazam Magic Guard ability really shine given the prevalence of hazards, working as an emergency Focus Sash user, or just hitting hard with Life Orb without suffer from recoil. Mega Alakazam is viable in the singles meta given again Tapu Lele helping it out with boosting its Psychic-type attacks and prevent any form of priority form harming it. You probably will need hard response to pesky Steel- and Dark-type like Mega Metagross, and Tyranitar respectively so Fighting-types can help there.
(Mar 30, 2017, 03:53 PM)Black117 Wrote: For VGC, as you mentioned, the thing about Alakazam is that is has a low HP and Defense stat so its needs to 2HKO or setup OHKOs for its partners with its high special attack and speed stats. I know Alakazam does has access to support moves like Encore, Thunder Wave, Disable, etc, its still better off attempt to hit as hard as possible with its Psychic STAB options. There's not really much Alakazam can do aside be a glass special attacker, though Tapu Lele is a good partner to boosts its Psychic attacks and prevent any form of priority from harming it. However, Alakazam's best partner, is actually its worse competition since Tapu Lele hits harder in and kinda outclasses it as the main special attacker. Magic Guard is nice to have to pair with Life Orb and Focus Sash, but I feel that it needs a proper player to make the right predictions against its opponent.

Though I haven;'t played singles in awhile, I do know Alakazam Magic Guard ability really shine given the prevalence of hazards, working as an emergency Focus Sash user, or just hitting hard with Life Orb without suffer from recoil. Mega Alakazam is viable in the singles meta given again Tapu Lele helping it out with boosting its Psychic-type attacks and prevent any form of priority form harming it. You probably will need hard response to pesky Steel- and Dark-type like Mega Metagross, and Tyranitar respectively so Fighting-types can help there.

@Black117 Thanks for your help! I don't think I'll be using an Alakazam too much this year.... Maybe next time!
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!