Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Need help with Sandslash EV spread
Hello all!

Sandslash is my favourite pokemon and I will be/have been shiny hunting him (masuda method) for a competitive sandslash. I am a little bit divided on what I should do, though. Can you, the helpful people of the forums, help me out?

I was thinking one of the following options
(The moveset is going to be: EQ, Rock slide, knock off and poison jab - poison jab open to debate. It will also be sand rush ability) Feel free to suggest another move to use over poison jab.

1. Adamant nature, choice band, 252 Attack and defense, 4 in HP.
Hits really hard.

2. Impish nature, choice band, 252 Attack and defense, 4 in HP.
Hits a little less harder but can survive a bit more.

3. Impish nature,choice band, 252 attack, 124 in speed, 128 in defense and 4 in HP.
This set needs a little explanation. the 124 speed Evs give it 101 speed at level 50 allow it to, in a sandstorm (because of Sand Rush), outspeed a timid max speed Jolteon. Jolteon is one of the fastest non-mega pokemon so outspeeding Jolt is probably a good speed benchmark to surpass.

I am unsure what I should do. Right now I'm leaning towards option 3. What do you think I should do - feel free to mix the options together.

Thanks in advance!
(+1 rep to all helpful replies. I will not accept replies of 'But Excadrill is better gaghaihphae')

Also, feel free to help me in this thread
http://pokemonforever.com/Thread-Kanto-Cup-Help-Needed
Here's how I would set him up.

Code:
Sandslash @ Choice Band  
Ability: Sand Rush  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Rock Slide  
- Knock Off  
- Poison Jab
The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long.
Excalibur0126,

I'm not sure I Sandslash will need that much speed. I also feel that my sandslash should still be bulky, hence the defense and Impish nature option.

It would be like Serperior or Lopunny - before their HA and Mega evolution were a thing - where they would be fast but bulky.

I think that max speed is unnecessary and that the rest could go in bulk so Sandslash could live an extra hit then retaliate with a strong attack.

I would like some more opinions.

Thanks for your help, Excalibur!
+1 rep to ye!
I second Excalibur0126's suggestion. I don't know Sandslash's stats offhand, but I don't think it's very bulky to begin with. If you're running a Choice Band set, maxing out it's attack and speed is the best option.
Danieljames,

Thank you for your reply and your explanation. My main concern is the scenarios without the sandstorm. With the bulk, I might live.

Also, is max speed needed? Sandslash outspeeds timid max speed jolteon with 124 speed EVs at level 50. If a pokemon outspeeds me, such as a [insert name of commonly scarfed pokemon], I will know immediately know that they are scarfed.

Thanks for your feedback!
+1 rep to ye!
(Feb 22, 2016, 12:53 PM)Excalibur0126 Wrote: Sandslash can't outspeed max speed timid Jolteon. At level 50, Sandslash has a max speed of 128 with a beneficial nature while Jolteon has a speed of 200.

I probably didn't make this clear. Even without a beneficial nature, with 124 Speed EVs, Sandslash has 101 speed at level 50. This will (will the help of sand rush) outspeed timid max speed Jolteon (who caps out at 200)
What about something like this:
Bold Nature
252 hp 124 speed rest in def.

Sand tomb
Sandstorm
Dig
Protect

Item leftovers
Ability sandrush

The ide is:
-use sandstorm
-use sand tomb (ur opponent is now trapped)
-use protect
-use dig (if your opponents speed stat is between 100 and 200 you will stay undergrund for Two turns and when you finally strike, your opponent has lost between 10/16 and 9/16 of his life.

PS. Dont take this as a serious set, i think your 3. Set is the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-4_1vbi6c

Here's what I'd recommend you should watch.
Mathias156,

Thank you for your feedback. Could you possibly explain why you think set 3 is my best option?

+1 rep to ye!

Flapster,

I have seen his video and It's just fast Sand Rush set (I can't even get body slam on Sandslash legitimately!) An annoying evasion set that would be annoying to go up against and boring to use. The third set is a support set. As you can see by the EV spreads I have given and the choice band as well as the lack of moves like rapid spin and stealth rock, that not's really what I'm going for. Your help is still appreciated.

+1 rep to ye anyway!
I did get a Shiny Sandshrew, its level 11, got it from the horde method in the desert, which is 5iv. Here is how I would setup my Sandslash

Sandslash @ Choice Specs

Nature:Jolly

Moves:

-Focus Blast

-Stealth Rock

-Poison Jab

-Earthquake

I'd prefer to give it choice specs as Sandslash's downside is Special Attack, and the choice specs can give it a boost. As for the nature, Jolly it increases Speed, but it decreases Special Attack, to be honest, I wouldn't go for a Jolly Sandshrew if you really want some decent Special Attack stats.

As for the moves, I'd start with stealth rock as sandslash can sometimes be killed quickly, so, starting off with that is worth it. Or, you can go for Toxic as it can lose HP after every round, so that can come in handy. But, stealth rock can do damage to all the enemy's pokemon, which is worth it.

You'd need a move set of different types. Focus Blast is 150 power, 100 accuracy, and can lower your target's special defense, and that can come in handy.

For Poison Jab, if you don't want to go for the toxic strategy, poison jab might be it. Posion Jab can do damage, aswell as can also poison the target. That can go in handy if you don't want the Toxic.

Earthquake can do decent damage, but the problem is, since Sandshrews can shine in double battles, its teammate would be damaged, unless the teammate has levitate or its a flying type, then you'd be fine. If you're one of them too worried about earthquake hitting teammates, then go for night slash.

As for Night Slash, it can do decent damage, and critical chances are more with this move. Can come in handy if your Sandshrew is about to faint.

I hope this helped! Smile