Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Question about Masuda Method
I looked at multiple sites for an answer, but ended up confused, so I'll ask you guys for help ^^;;

So I'm currently MMing for a shiny treecko in XY and I'm at 480 eggs, but my 3DS died and now I'm set back to 450 (30 egg progress gone QQ). My question is, when are the stats for the eggs determined? Is it once the man HAS the egg or when you TAKE the egg? I want to know because I don't want to have rehatch 30 eggs identical to the 30 I took before my 3DS died (all of them non-shiny lol) :/

Which leads me to a new question, if all the eggs are indeed different when you pick them up, would it be possible to SR them (not like picking up 5 eggs, saving, and then SRing after you hatched them all (since at that point the stats are 100% set), but I mean save in front of the daycare man, take eggs, hatch them, and if they aren't shiny then SR and take 5 NEW eggs from him).

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I can clear things up more if you have questions!

EDIT: When I mean the eggs being different, I mean having different stats, kind of like it being a random string of code that's always changing until I take the egg from the daycare guy, meaning the eggs I REHATCH are 100% different from the 30 I hatched (and then lost) earlier.
Found a shiny? Talk about it here!!
you cant pick up 5 eggs and save because every egg already is either a shiny or not ^^ but you can soft reset and pick up new eggs to save time
Watch the time travel method breeding video. to an extent the same principle should apply
@Feax Thanks for the response, yeah I assumed that from trying to do it years ago with tyrunt LOL So all the eggs I'm picking up from the daycare man and hatching now are different from the ones I lost when my 3DS died?
Found a shiny? Talk about it here!!
Like wsnider said, watch time machine method when breeding competitive shiny for a specific pokemon, saves a lot of time. Basically, characteristics of the egg is determined the moment there's an egg.
I'm a logger
recorder
diarier?

I record my Pokemon journey in this diary

so a journeyer?

IVs are determined when you get the egg. Yes, your eggs are 100% different.
O
That's why there are two ways to MM. You can just store of discard the non shiny's when they have hatched which saves time. Or you can save and the SR which will save money but takes a tad longer. 

They both work the same though. And as others have said your eggs will be different.