Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS] AidanC97's OR Team Explanation
Hey There. I'm back with another team preview, but i have taken the liberty of trying to find the move-sets of each of the pokemon i have decided to use in this run. Half of my team are new to me, while the other half aren't. Be Mindful this is a long post because i have so much info to implement here. Would love some suggestions about any or all pokemon i display here. Yes, it is Story Mode i am doing here, for reference

My Team:
Masquerain - Level 60
Type(s): Bug/Flying

Ability: Swift Swim

Nature: Bold (-Att, +Def)

Moves:

Quiver Dance (Status)
Bug Buzz (Special)
Scald (Special)
Energy Ball (Special)

Masquerain is one Pokemon that i haven’t used before, and it’s one a lot of people weren’t expecting me to use. It doesn’t have the best stats in the world but Intimidate for it’s ability can at least make it viable and playable. Because it’s mostly a special attacker i restricted it’s move-set to have only special attacking moves. Quiver Dance is a good setup for the other special attacking moves making it a little threatening, but not the best pokemon on my team. Because it has a Special restricted moveset, it’s nature is Bold, and thus it’s a good nature for Masquerian to have in this scenario.

Breloom - Level 60

Type(s): Grass/Fighting
Ability: Poison Point
Nature: Careful (-Sp. Att, +Sp. Def)

Moves:
Brick Break (Physical)
Sludge Bomb (Special)
Sky Uppercut (Physical)
Energy Ball (Special)

Breloom is not my strongest pokemon, but it packs a serious punch (pun intended because it's part fighting). The nature of Careful is the reason why i’m not putting DynamicPunch on it. It is also because unlike Machamp, it doesn’t get No Guard for the ability. But Breloom is still a respectable pokemon to have, for my tastes anyway haha. Sludge Bomb and Energy Ball are in the move-set because of variety and because i just think that they are at least viable in the Special Category, even though Breloom’s Special stats aren’t the best.

Gardevoir - Level 61
Type(s): Psychic/Fairy
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Quirky

Moves:
Calm Mind (Status)
Psychic (Special)
Shadow Ball (Special)
Future Sight (Special)

With Future Sight being the first move it uses, It’s out of the way so that Gardevoir can use the other moves she uses so that it’s out of the way and she doesn’t have to set it up later. Gardevoir is not my Mega-pokemon, but by spamming Calm Mind, it would make the opponent cry because the other moves are going to be so powerful it’s not even funny because they ARE ALL SPECIAL! I would put Moonblast on Gardevoir but she gets it at Level 62. She would be too-OP to have that move on her set (by level and by moveset) so i balanced it out by having her at Level 61.

Seviper - Level 60

Type(s): Poison
Ability: Shed Skin

Nature: N/A

Moves:

Crunch (Physical)
Toxic (Status)
Flamethrower (Special)
Sludge Wave (Special)

Mixed Attacker Seviper is next on my list. Beginning with Toxic, it can get it out of the way so that it can use the other moves without worrying that it forgot to set it up. Crunch can get in the physical damage that it has, the next 2 are special-oriented. Sludge Wave is the highest damaging move in it’s set, with getting the same type attack bonus it gets upon using it. Flamethrower is also good to get some type coverage in there as well. It’s a pokemon that is balanced, but not used often

Flygon - Level 60
Type(s) Dragon/Ground
Ability: Levitate
Nature: N/A

Moves:

Earthquake (Physical)
Fly (Physical)
Dragon Claw (Physical)
Hyper Beam (Special)

Everybody loves this guy, mostly because it has good stats all around. You can’t deny that this thing is good having Earthquake in it’s move-set. Fly is there because i need to have a pokemon that can learn fly in the long run anyway so might as well put it on Flygon for some good Special damage. Earthquake, that’s a given, not sure why i wouldn’t be putting it on it anyway. Dragon Claw for same type attack bonus (goes without saying about Earthquake as well). Not my strongest pokemon but it’s a good one

Swampert - Level 63

Type(s): Water/Ground
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Gentle

Items: Swampertite

Moves:
Earthquake (Physical)

Surf (Special)
Hammer Arm (Physical)
Stone Edge (Physical)

My Starter is the one that not only is the strongest pokemon, but has the mega-evolution. Simply Put, Earthquake and Surf are givens because they deal good amounts of damage. The move-set is designed to take advantage of it’s Physical Attack stat while also giving it’s Special stat some love too. Hammer Arm is a great move to counter Sidney’s pokemon well. As well it has the other moves that are just plain badass on this thing.

What do you think of the team? Again, would love some feedback on this, this took an hour to type so yea!

Edit: The N/A means i haven't caught it yet, as soon as i catch it i will update this
Given this is an in-game team, not going to focus as much as providing feedback, though there are some things I want to say.

1) Breloom is normally known to have an incredibly high attack stat so focus on giving it moves like Seed Bomb. For coverage moves, Mach Punch, Stun Spore, and Stone Edge/ Rock Slide can help alleviate some issues like its low speed, or options against Flying-types. Honestly, I'd consider removing Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb for Seed Bomb or Stone Edge/Rock Slide.

2) Give Gardevoir Moonblast. Yeah I know it would make Gardevoir "OP", but limiting a Pokemon's potential even for in-game is a waste in my opinion. Fairy coverage is one of the best to use during any play through given the lack of strong Steel-types early on. Mooblast would give Gardevoir a strong STAB option, and help deal with Dark/Dragon-types for your team better.

3) Honestly if you are considering getting new Pokemon, I'd get a Salamence over Flygon given you listed the same coverage options both these Pokemon get, not to mention Salamence has a better movepool, ability, and higher attack stat. The only advantage Flygon has over Mence is STAB EQ, and that's it. Just compare the Base Stat Totals of Mence and Flygon and they are virtually the same in Defenses, and Speed, though has a higher HP, Attack, and Special Attack.

Overall the team is somewhat decent for an in-game run, though not as optimal if you'd consider challenging the Battle Maison or competitive. Not much else to say honestly though I'd pay attention to natures if I were you, though not too much.
(Oct 31, 2016, 04:38 AM)Black117 Wrote: Given this is an in-game team, not going to focus as much as providing feedback, though there are some things I want to say.

1) Breloom is normally known to have an incredibly high attack stat so focus on giving it moves like Seed Bomb. For coverage moves, Mach Punch, Stun Spore, and Stone Edge/ Rock Slide can help alleviate some issues like its low speed, or options against Flying-types. Honestly, I'd consider removing Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb for Seed Bomb or Stone Edge/Rock Slide.

2) Give Gardevoir Moonblast. Yeah I know it would make Gardevoir "OP", but limiting a Pokemon's potential even for in-game is a waste in my opinion. Fairy coverage is one of the best to use during any play through given the lack of strong Steel-types early on. Mooblast would give Gardevoir a strong STAB option, and help deal with Dark/Dragon-types for your team better.

3) Honestly if you are considering getting new Pokemon, I'd get a Salamence over Flygon given you listed the same coverage options both these Pokemon get, not to mention Salamence has a better movepool, ability, and higher attack stat. The only advantage Flygon has over Mence is STAB EQ, and that's it. Just compare the Base Stat Totals of Mence and Flygon and they are virtually the same in Defenses, and Speed, though has a higher HP, Attack, and Special Attack.

Overall the team is somewhat decent for an in-game run, though not as optimal if you'd consider challenging the Battle Maison or competitive. Not much else to say honestly though I'd pay attention to natures if I were you, though not too much.

Hey @Black117,

1.) Getting Salamence will be a pain. Not only find a bagon first of all, but to train it up if i'm getting it mid-to-late game, considering that my team already has a head start to levelling up anyway. I understand how good it is, but with this in mind i'll try it out.

2.) I do admit i have been slacking off a bit in the natures department, and i should give it some attention to the future pokemon i'm getting. I'm gonna try and review each nature before i settle on a set that i like.

3.) I appreciate your feedback, and i'll look into the other notes you provided. Thank You!
No Problem Smile. Thing is for in-game teams, normally I don't give out further review / critique than RMTs posted here. In-game is usually geared towards the player themselves and how they want to dictate their own play-through. If you were already late into the game and want to get a Bagon, then completely get why you don't want to get the Salamence. You already advance to the point of the game where Salamence will take longer to get than actually complete the game. As for the natures, if this was a nuzlocke run I'd normally won't give input, except focus on the Pokemon's highest strengths/attributes like giving Gardevoir Moonblast. Doesn't matter as much, but keep this in mind as obviously its difficult to receive a Pokemon with the most beneficial nature. At this point, you should be able to progress through the postgame which is all that matters for IN-game teams.