Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Team Building Inspiration Thread
Hi, so this thread is going meant to give people (newbie and veteran) ideas for builds. It is also a chance for the veterans to teach the newbies (like me) how to build a decent team for battle spot, VGC, etc. If anyone has any good builds and/or teams, please post them below.
Here is my own team I made earlier today (feel free to give criticism as I know its far from the best team ever; also, please note that none of these pokes are ev trained):

Poke: Azumarill (F)
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Huge Power
Item: Sitrus Berry (more health after belly drum)
Moves:
Waterfall (STAB and coverage + that chance to flinch is always helpful against slower but more threatening pokemon)
Play Rough (Again, stab and coverage)
Superpower (yet more coverage; a lot of base power + huge power + adamant nature + belly drum = mass destruction)
Belly Drum (+6 attack... yes please!, also activates sitrus berry [in theory])

The purpose of this pokemon is to be a general tank. Soaks up damage like... well, a tank, and deals damage like a... you guessed it. It also has one of the best typings in my opinion. I only just realised my love for this pokemon today... and it will be on my top 10 pokemon of all time list for a long time to come. The main issue is how common it is, so people are mostly prepared for it. (I always believe that you should start with a pokemon you want to use).

Poke: Diggersby (M)
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Cheek Pouch (I am working towards Huge Power)
Item: Rawst Berry (Burns scar diggersby)
Moves:
Quick Attack (STAB + priority)
Power-Up-Punch (Increase attack while dealing damage, and provide more coverage... do i need say more)
Earthquake (We all know the power earthquake has)
Smack Down (Deal with flying types)

This pokemon is meant to cover the few weaknesses of azumarill such as poison types. I'm not a huge diggersby fan, but i do feel like this pokemon is well underused, and because of that people dont prepare for it. Its biggest enemy, fighting types (but thats why we have azumarill)

Poke: Heatran (F)
Nature: Lonely (I really want modest or calm)
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Shell Bell (With the amount of damage this pokemon dishes out, more times than not, this item will heal more than leftovers)
Moves:
Dark Pulse (Coverage + chance to flinch is really nice)
Protect (To scout what your opponent is up to)
Flash Cannon (STAB + base damage makes this move pretty good, also by having the chance to lower the Sp.Def of the opponent, this move can do more damage than the turn last if this occurs)
Lava Plume (STAB + chance to burn + base damage makes this move a good choice [Flamethrower is an option as well but i dont hav the tm for it])

This pokemon is your special tank, again, like azumarill, it is meant to annihilate the opposition with powerful stab move and scouting moves, if you play this pokemon right, you can outpredict your opponent with ease. The biggest weakness is of course, Earthquake.

Poke: Virizion
Nature: Hasty (Want careful)
Ability: Justified
Item: Focus Sash (Lets face it, 1 brave bird from a talonflame or staraptor and its bye bye Virizion without it)
Moves:
Stone Edge (In the off chance ur faster than a flying threat, u can knock it out with ease due to its high base power and high crit rate)
Aerial Ace (Coverage, always hits... yes please)
Sacred Sword (Stab + high base power + high natural physical strength + stat changes dont matter... my lord, you'd be kinda mental to take this pokemon to battle without it)
Swords Dance (Boosts all your moves... why not)

This pokemon is just there to insure you can take on special pokemon such as gengar and 2HKO them due to there fragile natural bulk. Also, gotta love the way it looks!

Poke: Thundurus
Nature: Bashful (Want modest or timid)
Ability: Prankster (Works well with T-Wave)
Item: Zap Plate (Passive boost to T-Bolt)
Moves:
Incinerate (Takes care of any berries anyone wants to use)
Thunder Wave (Dumb to not take with prankster)
Thunderbolt (The main attacking move on this pokemon)
Flash Cannon (Bye Bye rock types)

This pokemon is ur status mon, it also doubles as a berry counter due to incinerate. Send this out on any pokemon you feel will bring a berry.

Poke: Togekiss
Nature: Bold
Ability: Serene Grace (Real good with fire blast/flamethrower and air slash)
Item: Cheri Berry (No more paralysis)
Moves:
Air Slash (Coverage + STAB + high flinch chance... please, dont be foolish and bring this along)
Aura Sphere (Never misses, deals with rock types, nice power)
Fire Blast (Get flamethrower if you can, but this is still a semi-decent move to use, with a chance to burn)
Dazzling Gleam/Solarbeam (STAB + Coverage OR Solarbeam offers an extra counter to rock types [just be sure to bring a power herb if you choose this move])

This pokemon is ur main special sweeper, it is commonly used though, so expect people to counter it.

Please, what is your best team, tell us below, and leave any advise below.
Simply typing the team like this would have made this post easier to read:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Diggersby @ Rawst Berry
Adamant Nature
- Quick Attack
- Power-Up Punch
- Smack Down
- Earthquake

Heatran @ Shell Bell
Lonely Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Protect
- Lava Plume

Virizion @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Thundurus @ Zap Plate
Ability: Prankster
- Thunderbolt
- Incinerate
- Thunder Wave
- Flash Cannon

Togekiss @ Cheri Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

A majority of the points you made are pretty much invalid but whatever.

In explaining your team and sets, don't state the effects of each move. Every Pokemon player knows what they do. Rather, you need to make mention of what each move in your set hits or what utility is has if said utility isn't obvious. EV your Pokemon in the stats you need eg. Azumarill needs max attack alongside with enough speed to outrun base 65-85 uninvested mons and put the rest in HP for bulk.

http://pastebin.com/raw/ybLhEX6B
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tea...e.3552468/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dou...y.3538709/

I recommend reading these articles for learning the basics of teambuilding

Looking at your team, I'd bet my money that you pushed this into Team Magma's Synergy Calculator. Seeing as your playstyle is balanced, here's a disclaimer - You can't possibly be prepared for everything AND this calculator is useful but proves redundant if you forget to take the defensive stats of each Pokemon into account.

I'm not saying scrap the team though. It can work but you have to make a few changes. Firstly, we need to know what metagame you plan to use this team in. Is this for VGC 16, Battle Spot Doubles, Battle Spot Singles or Smogon (OU, UU, NU, RU, PU)?
[Insert signature here]
Bidoof @ Lum Berry
Ability: Simple
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Return
- Protect
- Yawn

Since we all love Bidoof, I have decided that I would make a team around it so here it is. Make sure its built like this since it allows for great pairing with any poke with Swagger/Trick room set as the simple ability makes its attack stat go 4+ and lum cures of confusion. Once set up, this set allows for it to one shot pokes like thundurus, landorus Mega charizard Y, and any non bulky mewtwo megas.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 8 SpA / 52 SpD
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Trick Room
- Swagger
- Psychic/Scald

The one and only support to the Bidoof. I chose to use Slowking in this set as its slower than the bidoof which allows for it go before it after trick room is set up so it can swagger the bidoof. I prefer to run Pyschic on Slowking now since of P-Groudon's ability not allowing it to use water atks but if you bring a cloud nine poke or P-Kyogre then Scald be better

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam

Power Herb Xerneas set, there are other threads on this site that explains it better than I could ever

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
Brave Nature
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

I then thought hmmm what is a decent Mega that also works in Trick room?
MAWILE. Ok so Physical P-Groudons can be seen so Intimidate can either slow it down a bit or make it switch out which is useful I guess

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SpA / 100 SpD
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball

I just love wide guard in this meta since of EQ, Origin pulse etc, and what else than the mighty Aegislash, It also is a great way to deal with fairy types so thats a plus

Hippowdon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

When I got this far it hit me, P-Groudon is a threat to majoirty, if not all my pokes, so then this Hippowdon happened, it 2 shots against 252/252 P-Groudons and deals alot of dmg to other sets. If your really daring and RNG loves you, change to life orb and hope for the 6.3% to OHKO a 252 atk /252 Spe groudon

Try this out in VGC 16, 10/10 had great fun 1 shotting people with Bidoof.
Eckley is best grill
Go on and on, grow into a phenomenon
(Jan 17, 2016, 06:09 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Simply typing the team like this would have made this post easier to read:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry  
Adamant Nature  
- Belly Drum  
- Waterfall  
- Play Rough  
- Superpower  

Diggersby @ Rawst Berry  
Adamant Nature  
- Quick Attack  
- Power-Up Punch  
- Smack Down  
- Earthquake  

Heatran @ Shell Bell  
Lonely Nature  
- Dark Pulse  
- Flash Cannon  
- Protect  
- Lava Plume  

Virizion @ Focus Sash  
Hasty Nature  
- Stone Edge  
- Aerial Ace  
- Sacred Sword  
- Swords Dance  

Thundurus @ Zap Plate  
Ability: Prankster  
- Thunderbolt  
- Incinerate  
- Thunder Wave  
- Flash Cannon  

Togekiss @ Cheri Berry  
Ability: Serene Grace  
Bold Nature  
- Air Slash  
- Aura Sphere  
- Fire Blast  
- Dazzling Gleam  

A majority of the points you made are pretty much invalid but whatever.

In explaining your team and sets, don't state the effects of each move. Every Pokemon player knows what they do. Rather, you need to make mention of what each move in your set hits or what utility is has if said utility isn't obvious. EV your Pokemon in the stats you need eg. Azumarill needs max attack alongside with enough speed to outrun base 65-85 uninvested mons and put the rest in HP for bulk.

http://pastebin.com/raw/ybLhEX6B
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tea...e.3552468/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dou...y.3538709/

I recommend reading these articles for learning the basics of teambuilding

Looking at your team, I'd bet my money that you pushed this into Team Magma's Synergy Calculator. Seeing as your playstyle is balanced, here's a disclaimer - You can't possibly be prepared for everything AND this calculator is useful but proves redundant if you forget to take the defensive stats of each Pokemon into account.

I'm not saying scrap the team though. It can work but you have to make a few changes. Firstly, we need to know what metagame you plan to use this team in. Is this for VGC 16, Battle Spot Doubles, Battle Spot Singles or Smogon (OU, UU, NU, RU, PU)?
Hi, thanks for the advice, this team is meant for Battle Spot Singles.
Also, your right on the money with the fact I used the calculator (see what i did there, haha...)
Finally, what changes do you suggest. As I said, i'm extremely new to competitive team building, and hope to get much better.

Thanks in advance!
My New Team (On Showdown, Haven't Made It Ingame)

Absol-Mega @ Absolite  
Ability: Magic Bounce  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Sucker Punch  
- Psycho Cut  
- Play Rough  
- Superpower  

Scolipede @ Leftovers  
Ability: Speed Boost  
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Baton Pass  
- Protect  
- Swords Dance  
- Poison Jab  

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite  
Ability: Synchronize  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Hyper Voice  
- Calm Mind  
- Psyshock  
- Will-O-Wisp  

Miltank (F) @ Sitrus Berry  
Ability: Scrappy  
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def  
- Heal Bell  
- Earthquake  
- Milk Drink  
- Body Slam  

Serperior @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Contrary  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Dragon Pulse  
- Leaf Storm  
- Hidden Power [Electric]  
- Frenzy Plant  

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD  
Bold Nature  
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD  
- Hydro Pump  
- Volt Switch  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Rest  

Also, if someone could tell me how to make the spoiler things, that would make me happy Smile

Damage calcs:
+4 252+ Atk Absol Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 226-267 (124.8 - 147.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

More added Soon!
Test your team and any issues you have, come back to the thread with them
[Insert signature here]