Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Is Competitive Pokemon Dying? | Spoilers, yes
Yes, end of story.

Ok but in all seriousness, let's actually talk about this, as it's undoubtedly a problem, whether you want it to be or not. Competitive Pokémon was, at one point, one of the biggest factors of Pokémon, and in recent times has started dwindling in popularity. Don't believe me?

[Image: ZwreELr.png]

As you can see the views have drastically dropped in literally just two years, how embarassing really, to see arguably what use to be the biggest event in Pokemon history now turn to just a past time, a shadow of it's former self. We know competitive is dying, but why? What killed this titan of an event so quickly? Simple. The bland and outdated battle system. Yes I said it, Pokemon's current battle system, although able to work, is now an outdated mess. Relying on RNG rather than skill for literally every battle. No matter how "good" you are at comp. Pokemon, there's always RNG to factor in, while so many people don't see this as a problem, there's not as much skill, there can't be in a system like this. Take Fortnite for example, Bloom is an RNG based factor. Yes. RNG in a shooter. RNG can determine if your shot hits or not, especially with stuff like ARs and such, so every ends up using Shotguns, and it's no longer a skill based game, but rather a game of luck to see who can do the most damage. This is what Pokemon has already become. Timer stalling is more common than ever, and in a meta dominated by "the most reliable" Pokemon, it leaves little room for new players to come in and try to perform well. Look at something like Pokken. That game. That's Pokémon at its best. It's straight up just fighting but you actually have to think. Nobody in the game is like Bayonetta broken, when you get beat it's YOUR fault. The game doesn't cheat with crits, parahax and things because it doesn't have it. This is somewhat of a bad comparison but I don't care. Competitive Pokemon is no longer a skill based game, It's always going to be a tedious and often repetitive same Pokemon filled meta. Tier lists while certainly interesting, are admittedly flawed. Dugtrio: has Arena Trap, but has many, many Pokemon that counter it, gets banned anyway. Lando-T: has a large variety of problematic moves for a Pokemon with it's typing and Stats, doesn't get banned because it has plenty of common checks. ???? If Pokemon is so skill based then why can't I use a) whatever Pokemon b) however I want? VGC and Competitive Pokemon as a whole is a repetitive slew of the same 10 "good" Pokemon, every time.

So no, Comp. Pokemon isn't dying. It's already dead.

all right see ya
OU MASTER RACE
comparing World championship vs American International...

compare the right things:

as of today (26th august 2018):

American International 2017: ~3000 views
American International 2018: ~3100 views (and 8k+ on the channel Pokemon)

the replay of day 2 of World Championship already has 4k views on the channel PokemonVGC and 5300 views on the channel Pokemon.

so your statement is...false?
(Aug 26, 2018, 07:45 AM)Apo Wrote: comparing World championship vs American International...

compare the right things:

as of today (26th august 2018):

American International 2017: ~3000 views
American International 2018: ~3100 views (and 8k+ on the channel Pokemon)

the replay of day 2 of World Championship already has 4k views on the channel PokemonVGC and 5300 views on the channel Pokemon.

so your statement is...false?
His statement might be false but the truth is pokemon players and competitive players tend to get lower and lower.This is a fact.