Poll: Do you like Luxray?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[FUN] Unconventional Sets #1 : NU Special Luxray
Decided to make my unconventional sets into a series thing. Hope you enjoy.

Today we're looking at Luxray. Luxray is a pure Electric Type and is a Physical Attacker. So why am I building a Special set? Because you know me lol.

Stats:
Hp: 80 | Attack: 120 | Defense: 79 | Special Attack: 95 | Special Defense: 79 | Speed: 70

Abilities:
Intimidate | Rivalry | Guts {HA}

Type:
Electric Dark 
Weak to: Ground
Strong against: Flying, Water

The Set
[Image: 405.png]
Luxray @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 124 HP / 132 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Discharge / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Signal Beam
No matter how you look at it, Luxray is not cut out for anything higher than NU, although it's tier is an even lower PU, it's abilities are good, and it has a 120 Base Attack, but it's Speed and Defenses are mediocre, if it were a Dark type, we may be seeing it used more, but that's not the case. Anyways, set explanation.

Luxray faces Ground type disadvantages in PU and NU in the forms of Rhydon, Claydol, Alolan Dugtrio and Gastrodon. The set EVs allow it to survive what would be an OHKO Earthquake from Alolan Dugtrio, and if you invest in 124 Special Defense instead it will survive a Modest 252 Special Attack Earth Power from Claydol. I opt Modest Nature on Luxray to ensure that with the Choice Specs, Luxray will be doing as much Damage as possible.

Moves are standard for the most part with Discharge having a 30% chance to Paralyze, I prefer it over T-bolt, Volt Switch allows good damage and a safe Switch out. HP Grass is where things start to get not as standard, HP Grass, although non-STAB, deals huge damage to Seismitoad, and the aforementioned Gastrodon. Signal Beam is a more powerful counter to Claydol.

Damage Calculations
OFFENSIVE

252+ SpA Choice Specs Luxray HP Grass vs. 252 Hp / 6 SpD Seismitoad; 440 - 520 {Guaranteed OHKO}
252+ SpA Choice Specs Luxray HP Grass vs 252 Hp / 0 SpD Gastrodon; 408 - 484 {75% chance to OHKO}
252+ SpA Choice Specs Luxray Discharge vs 0 Hp / 4 SpD Charizard; 396 - 468 {Guaranteed OHKO}

DEFENSIVE

252+ SpA Claydol Earth Power vs 124 Hp / 132 SpD Luxray; 224 - 266 {Guaranteed 2HKO}
252 SpA Seismitoad Earth Power vs 124 Hp / 132 SpD Luxray; 230 - 272 {Guaranteed 2HKO}
252+ Atk Sheer Force Life Orb Druddigon Dragon Claw vs 124 Hp / 132 Def Luxray; 144 - 169 {2% chance to 2HKO}
252+ SpA Life Orb Clawitzer Scald vs 124 Hp / 132 SpD Luxray; 185 - 218 {Guaranteed 2HKO}

Notable Team Options

- Togetic is a bulky Pokemon, thanks to Eviolte, and can use Tailwind to boost Luxray's Speed, Wish to recover Luxray's HP, and if you're feeling adventurous, slap Reflect + Light Screen on.

- Clawitzer is a great answer to Luxray's Ground weakness with it's STAB Scald to deal more damage to an opponent.

- Sunflora may seem like a weird choice but don't forget Sunflora gets access to Grassy Terrain, a move crucial to Luxray's healing options. Alternatively you can use Torterra to cover for Clawitzer's weakness to Electric

- Emolga's Motor Drive Tailwind combo may be a better option than Togetic in certain situations, Focus Sash Tailwind > Volt Switch / Nuzzle saves lives. I think a certain @0kamii will be pleased I mentioned this guy.

Counters

- Any Ground type is capable of shutting down Luxray instantly, but the most dangerous counter would be Steelix. It forces Luxray to switch and is able to get a Curse off making this brute even harder to beat.

- Motor Drive users like Electivire and the previously mentioned Emolga render Luxray's Volt Switch useless and a good prediction switch can make things tougher for you.

- Knock Off users will get rid of the only thing boosting Luxray's Special Attack, meaning less damage overall.

- A Defiant Braviary / Primeape / Purugly lead won't care about Intimidate. All three will gladly take the +1 Attack boost and potentially Sweep if you're unprepared.

Luxray Set requested by @iRogue
Please rate, feedback is appreciated
OU MASTER RACE
@Kris

I always appreciate the inclusion of my favorite, electric momonga.  Smile

On a side note however, can Luxray really take advantage of Choice Specs without any Speed investment? Even by NU standards, 70 base isn't very fast. I know I ran a Supportive set with Naive nature and max Speed.

Just a thought.

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

@0kamii I do agree that the max speed variation of Luxray is much more useful, especially given that Naive nature
OU MASTER RACE
@Kris

I can't remember the exactly spread, but I know the rest of its set. This was mine:

Luxray
Luxray @ Air Balloon
Abilit​​​​​​y: Intimidate
​​E​​​Vs: ?/?/252 Speed
​​​​​​Naive Nature
- Protect
-​​​​​​ Ice Fang
- Volt Switch
-​​​​​​ Snarl

Protect is always good in Rec Doubles. Intimidate + Snarl make opposing mons far less threatening, regardless of which kind of attacker they are. Ice Fang was mostly for Garchomp and other 4x Ice weaknesses like Landorus and Gliscor. Volt Switch is good momentum and let me recycle my Intimidate if needed. Air Balloon is admittedly kind of a sloppy item choice, but I honestly couldn't think of a better option.

That was my set. What do you think, Kris?

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

@0kamii Yo I really like it, I never noticed Luxray got Snarl
OU MASTER RACE
Yoooo! Thank you so much for accepting my request! I personally love your sets cause you change things up so much, and this time is no exception. Thank you for the time you put into your threads too! Amazing set can't wait to have it and use it on my game.

THANKS!  Big Grin
You could almost use this luxray in TR if you made him brave and 0speed and such :p
Dont know why I never thought to put this here...
All your Hidden Ability needs in one place <3
@iRogue Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoy them.

@wartty I think the + SpA - Speed nature is Quiet.
OU MASTER RACE
Wouldn't you want hidden power ice? I understand Quagsire is a big threat, but ice also clears dragons and grass types, where as grass gets water, which except for gastrodon is covered by volt switch?
HP Ice is better, but in this case HP Grass just seems so much more useful. Dealing x4 Damage to Rhydon, Gastrodon, Quagsire, and besides Clawitzer can use the far superior Ice Beam. But I definitely too HP Ice into consideration.
OU MASTER RACE