Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[GUIDE] How I Shiny Hunt Salazzle! - Tips and Tricks
[Image: zsfxHDZ.png]

Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, and I just recently got a Shiny female Salandit that I intend on evolving into a Shiny Salazzle!

Shiny Salazzle is easily one of the those prized Shinies from Gen 7 because of the skewed gender ratio. Approximately 7 males to 1 females makes Shiny Salazzle quite the rarity, or so you'd think. As it turns out, people discovered quite quickly how to use legtimate in-game mechanics to increase their odds of finding this reptilian ranchera. Since you're only reading this if you intend on hunting this beauty for yourself, allow me to share some of the tips and tricks that I used to obtain this Shiny for myself. This post will follow the same format as my last tips and tricks guide pretty closely, so if you only care about the tips and tricks, then you can scroll right down to them. Otherwise, let's get into it.

How I Shiny Hunt Salazzle! - Tips and Tricks

Tip 1 - Make sure you have the Shiny Charm!

Unless you're a full odds hunter and don't want it, the Shiny charm will increase your odds of finding a Shiny pokémon by roughly a 1/3. In an S.O.S. chain, this means your odds of finding a Shiny between 1 - 69 allies is about 1/1,365. After 70, through about 255, your odds will be approximately 1/683. That doesn't guarantee a Shiny any time fast, but it does increase your odds. The chain resets every 70 allies, so don't think your window closes after the first 255 allies. I don't think I have to mention that you get the Shiny charm by completing the Alola Dex, but I will say that doing so is easier than ever thanks to forums like ours! Head on over if you need help getting the last few mons for your own Shiny Charm!

Tip 2 - Use a Cute Charm Pokémon

The most obvious trick regarding this hunt, a Charm chamer will up the odds of having the ally pokémon be the opposite gender of the Charmer by about 66.6%. Therefore, if you have a male Cute Charm pokémon, the Salandit will be female about 2/3 of the time. Again, this guarantees nothing, but it certainly helps. By extension, there's a little debate about which Cute Charm pokémon to use. Most people I've seen will use Sylveon because it's one of the only mons with a high chance of being male with Cute Charm. However, I used a Clefable. Here's the set.

Clefable
Clefable
@ Leppa Berry
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Moonlight
- Recycle
- Water Pulse

I prefer a Clefable over a Sylveon for the simple reason that it gets Recycle, so it's almost like using a Smeargle. Substitute is necessary for avoiding getting poisoned by Smog from wild Salandit, and Moonlight is for recovery. The move you chose to damage the Salandit is really up to choice, I just liked having super-effective damage, so I used Move Tutors to teach it Water Pulse. You'll lose quite a bit of health before you have to reuse Substitute, so I wouldn't worry about packing too many healing items. That being said, though...

Tip 3 - Bring healing items anyway!

It is unwise to go into any kind of hunt unprepared, as I mentioned in my last tips and tricks post. Even though Substitute is there to avoid poison from Smog, every once in a while, Salandit will use Smog on the turn your Substitute fades and you will get poisoned anyway. It happened to me several times, and that means it's bound to happen to you. Bring along a sizable collection of Antidotes/Full Heals and you'll be golden.

If you stick to these tips, and hunt with due patience, you'll one day end up like me, and all the other Shiny hunters that gambled on Salazzle. And frankly, I think my little Salandit is quite a prize to be had. Again, sorry for the low quality photo. I don't own a capture card.

[Image: 0mqor7s.jpg]

Trick 1 - Do not use a fainted Cute Charmer!

I know this goes without saying, but I was surprised by how many people thought that you could use a fainted Cute Charmer in the first slot and have the same effect. Using a fainted Cute Charmer only affects the first encounter, after that it's the regular 7:1. That's why I recommend using a Clefable. It has longevity with Moonlight and Recycle, and it has Cute Charm. Sure, Clefable's male to female gender ratio is 3:1, but that's FAR better than Salandit.

Trick 2 - Remember how to use the Skill Swap/Leppa Berry trick!

Basically the core of all S.O.S. shiny hunting, it applies to this hunt as it does to every other. In case you've forgotten how this trick works, here's a link to aDrive's video on the subject to help remind you. You need either an Exeggutor or a Trevenant, and they need to be holding a Leppa Berry. Dan's got the rest.

Well, that's all for my Saturday posts! Hope you all enjoyed both. Stick around until Monday when I have a rather venomous post planned for your entertainment! And if any of these tips and tricks help you obtain a Shiny female Salandit for yourself, let me know in the thread below! Congratulation in advance, Shiny hunters! I will see you all on Monday!

Thanks so much for reading, everyone! Battles onwards, friends!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

@0kamii 

Nice guide, congrats on the shiny salandit  Smile

I got a Shiny female Salandit in Sun in March, and I had an issue with it, cause I use Skill Swap to put it on Smeargle from Sylveon, but I realised something.

It won't swap, and keep its effect. It gave me 5 Shiny Males (in over 1000 calls) before I realised my mistake. I did however have a Harvest Skill Swap 'mon.
I got a 5iv modest shiny female salandit on the 32nd encounter, and now i am scared to shiny hunt since I feel like karma will rip me apart
...i got a shiny salandit in 14 encounters. with a random team i had. that was also female.

If anything, no shiny could compare to owning a marshadow. which i missed the event for. so now i have infinite sadness cause il never get one. and no shiny can fix that
Salazzle becoming """"rare"""" was a joke. It's not THAT hard to get.
OU MASTER RACE
@Tenebris_Kane

Thanks, TK! Hope you get one for yourself one day. I didn't mention it anywhere in the main post, but I found my Shiny female Salandit after only 232 allies called. And that was the first attempt too. I was chaining for about 4 hours continuously, and then closed my DS and whent back to chaining in the morning. Several allies later, she appeared! By comparison, I got really lucky. I wonder if I'll be so lucky on my Shiny male Burmy hunt?

@dmann

Was that a full odds encounter?

@Reis

That is the exact same fear I had going into my full odds Volcarona hunt. Especially since I just got a Shiny Gligar via horde hunting in only three hordes.Sad

@Umbreon9004

You could always have someone powersave one for you? I don't usually suggest powersaves, but if you want one that bad, as the event is over, there's really no other option.

@Kris

Hence the reason I began this post with, "Approximately 7 males to 1 females makes Shiny Salazzle quite the rarity, or so you'd think." Hopefully this'll encourage more people to try and hunt this lizard. It's really a fun hunt once you get into the swing. Not the groove. The groove is grizzly to the unprepared hunter...Angry

@0kamii 

not sure what power saving is really, and i dought anyone would give me one anyways
@Umbreon9004

I'd still suggest keeping an eye on the Giveaways forum. Why not go to @moo311's thread and ask for one? They might be able to help you gen one.

- 0kamii

@0kamii It wasn't full odds, it was with SOS chaining, and a Shiny Charm. I went to 255 4 times, With 5 Salandit showing up between 70 and 255, but not being female. The last time, It was 160 calls to get a Shiny Female. Does that help?