Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] VGC team opinions?
I'm a beginner at building teams but I watch team building videos and battles, what I have a hard time kappa with is choosing the moves (knowing what's needed and what's not) and what pokes are a threat to my poke or team because of the stats. Here is my team please tell me what you would change and why (But don't touch my M.Slowbro)

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Slowbro-Mega (F) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Slack Off
- Amnesia
- Scald
- Psychic

PearlyEyes (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Arcanine (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rock Slide
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect
(May 16, 2015, 07:47 AM)naitre Wrote: These are look like the standard sets for each mon. I'm curious as to how well Tyranitar works with the team, though. How has it been working for you?

It's ok I've been able to use all the moves but since they are special they haven't hit that hard. Why? What made you wonder? Do you think Tar or its moves doesn't fit?
This team is going to have issues with Pokemon such as Thundurus, Rotom-W, Swords of Justice (Virizion and Terrakion), Landorus-T and Aegislash.

Your team on paper lacks a lot of synergy and doesn't have much control over speed. The majority of your team gets outsped by mid ranged Pokemon that hit hard such as Kangaskhan, Bisharp and Breloom.

Thundurus is good here. You can also run Swagger over Taunt since it provides better support. All Taunt does is shut down status moves but Swagger can stop attackers in their tracks.

Slowbro has very bulky stats. Spread its EVs to take advantage of its defenses so it can tank Hyper Voices from Sylveon, Double Edge from Kangaskhan and all other strong hits. There is no point in trying to run set up moves like Amnesia in VGC. VGC matches run very fast and not only that but the opponent will most likely double target Slowbro or just aim for its defense stat instead of its SpDef. For a team like this, I would recommend running Trick Room over Amnesia. Since most of your team mates are slow as it is, it would be perfect.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Oblivious
Level: 50
EVs: 228 HP / 100 Def / 32 SpA / 148 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psychic

This spread allows you to take 2 Double Edge from Kangaskhan, survive a Shadow Ball from an Aegislash and a Thunderbolt from Thundurus, both at max SpA.

The set you have there for Sylveon would work better with Choice Specs, but for this case, here is a Sylveon build that works effectively in VGC

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 60 HP / 196 Def / 252 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Detect
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock

This EV spread maximizes on your SpA while allowing you to survive Life Orb Scizor's Bullet Punch which is a milestone in VGC since it is the most common counter for Sylveon.

Choice Banded Arcanine doesn't really work well in VGC not to mention running Flash Fire over Intimidate. A support Arcanine would be good for this team for it can remove threats to Sylveon and Slowbro while keeping an offensive presence.

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 92 HP / 92 Def / 28 SpA / 140 SpD / 156 Spe
Bold Nature
- Snarl
- Bulldoze
- Heat Wave
- Protect

This EV spread is to survive a Hydro Pump from 60 EVs Rotom-Wash, it allows Arcanine to outspeed max speed Jolly Breloom and it takes Physical attacks relatively well. Snarl cuts the Special Attack stat of Rotom-Wash, Bulldoze drops the speed of your opponents so your slower Pokemon can have a chance to attack first and Heat Wave is for taking out threats such as Scizor, Bisharp, Breloom and Amoonguss.

I suggest taking out Tyranitar and using Amoonguss instead. Redirection is key to running a Trick Room team since you can stop the setter from getting knocked out. Also Amoonguss resists everything that comes in Mega Slowbro's way except for Dark types. Spore would really help in disabling Pokemon such as Thundurus, Landorus and pretty much everything that threatens your Thundurus/Slowbro/Sylveon core.

It would be more practical to run Swampert over Ferrothorn since you'll get Wide Guard support plus two great STAB moves.

The only issue here is that there is a bit of imbalance where there are a lot more Special Attackers on this team than Physical ones.

This isn't a bad start for a VGC team, the only issue really is the sets and how the team works together to achieve what it is intended to.
[Insert signature here]
Every change looks good I'll try them out in showdown and see how goes. I got three questions
why detect on Sylveon?
Would amoongus still be a better option if I would've made tyranitar to physical, changing:
fire blast, ice beam and dark pulse
with fire punch. ice punch and chrunch?
How would you run Swampert and Amoonguss?
Detect because people occasionally run Imprison Pokemon with Protect. Amoonguss is a better option because Sand Stream hurts your allies meaning that attacks you would survive, you would end up fainting to.

I think their is an Amoonguss build in the Competitive Builds section where you would run Rage Powder, Spore, Giga Drain and Synthesis/Protect with Rocky Helmet

As for Swampert you would run Wide Guard, Ice Beam/Icy Wind, Scald and Earth Power with Sitrus Berry or Rindo Berry. Just remember to EV Swampert so common special attacks such as Aegislash's Shadow Ball result mostly in 3 hit KOs and so that you can take at least 2 hits from Mega Kangaskhan and Terrakion before fainting
[Insert signature here]
Having Amoonguss in team would help a lot then thnx