Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Help Me With Triples (Unova Classic)
I entered the Unova Classic, but I don't know what kind of Team I should go for. I don't have much time left. I was considering Rain or Sun, but I don't know if it is too predictable. I don't really know if Trick Room suits me though, and I don't know any good Triples Team Synergy. Help! Should I go with weather? Ask me questions on my play style of you want.
@Black117 Someone recommended you.
Shimono Hiro!

What I can recommend is making a team according to most used Pokemon. Here's the usage stats for the Unova Classic on Pokemon Showdown. http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-07/move...c-1760.txt
The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long.
If your objective is to learn about Triples then I'd suggest doing some experimentation on the Battlespot or Pokemon Showdown ladder to get some first hand inspiration. Remember, at this stage your objective isn't to win, it's to learn. Unfamiliarity with the meta already puts you at a disadvantage. With that being said, the most I can tell you is that birdspam is your friend in this format as is the use of reliable spread moves. Flying attacks aren't limited to adjacent opponents so you immediately have the option of running a Rain team around Tornadus-Therian or Swanna, both of which are proficient Hurricane users. For a sun team, Ninetales plus Cherrim pretty much means havoc with the attack boost given from Flower Gift when Cherrim is in the sun. This attack boost goes to all your allies so from here you can even consider running a fast physical attacker such as Tauros, Sawk, Heracross, Gallade etc. to take advantage of this or you can be generic and run a simple Chlorophyll/Solar Power reliant sun team. Right now I'd even say weather is your best bet as it gives you advantageous matchups against the most likely centralizing forces, those being Landorus, Thundurus, Latios, Zapdos, Hydreigon, Garchomp, Gengar, Scrafty and many more.

There are other gimmicks such as Frost Breath unto an ally that has the ability Anger Point which pushes them to +6 attack, causing them to fire off extremely power attacks. To be honest, it's all up to you what you want to do to play in this competition because there isn't any solid format that's current and playing against the meta isn't as effective as using the limitations of the meta to formulate an immaculate strategy

TL;DR

Practice on the Triples ladder with random teams until you find something you like then start a discussion as to how to improve on it
@Marcusube

So this is what I came up with, also, it is really hard to find a triples battle on Showdown:

Ninetales @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Cherrim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flower Gift
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sunny Day
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Heal Pulse

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Encore
- Beat Up
- Safeguard

Gallade @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard
- Feint
- Zen Headbutt

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Double-Edge

Lilligant @ Big Root
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Teeter Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect
Shimono Hiro!

@Marcusube
I could also do:

Politoed
Ludicolo
Kingdra
Arcanine
Toxicroak
Scizor

These Pokemon work well together on the Triples Ladder. Scizor is a Fast Physical Attacker that works especially well with Ludicolo. Arcanine with Extreme Speed and Wild Charge can help damage Pokémon that can give the core of Politoed and Ludicolo trouble. Toxicroak can use Feint to damage Protect Users, and wear down Pokémon with Gunk Shot. Kingdra is of course benefitted by Swift Swim and can knock out many Pokemon, and assist with Dragon Types.
Shimono Hiro!

(Aug 22, 2016, 11:34 PM)Allegro Wrote: @Marcusube

So this is what I came up with, also, it is really hard to find a triples battle on Showdown:

Ninetales @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Cherrim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flower Gift
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sunny Day
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Heal Pulse

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Encore
- Beat Up
- Safeguard

Gallade @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard
- Feint
- Zen Headbutt

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Double-Edge

Lilligant @ Big Root
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Teeter Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Alright not a bad team to start with from what I'm seeing. For Ninetales I'd run it with Heat Rock just to get those extra turns of sunlight and run Heat Wave, Energy Ball, Will-O-Wisp and Protect. For Cherrim, Seed Bomb, Helping Hand, Protect and either Worry Seed or Heal Pulse. Beat Up + Justified is a nice combo but with the presence of three Pokemon on the field, Gallade is most likely going to get triple targeted before being able to clear the field so that strategy looks like it'd need more support. Lilligant doesn't really carry any additional coverage that benefits the team especially because two other Pokemon are carrying Grass moves.

From what I can tell you want to either explore a sun team or a Justified + Beat Up strategy team. It's going to be difficult to use both at once so choose the one you prefer and work from there
(Aug 23, 2016, 12:37 AM)Allegro Wrote: @Marcusube
I could also do:

Politoed
Ludicolo
Kingdra
Arcanine
Toxicroak
Scizor

These Pokemon work well together on the Triples Ladder. Scizor is a Fast Physical Attacker that works especially well with Ludicolo. Arcanine with Extreme Speed and Wild Charge can help damage Pokémon that can give the core of Politoed and Ludicolo trouble. Toxicroak can use Feint to damage Protect Users, and wear down Pokémon with Gunk Shot. Kingdra is of course benefitted by Swift Swim and can knock out many Pokemon, and assist with Dragon Types.

Politoed, Ludicolo, Kingdra, Gothitelle, Raichu/Thundurus and Ferrothorn is also an option as Gothitelle can trap the opponent with Shadow Tag and since Politoed gets Perish Song you can use it as a last ditch effort to win a game. Its also worth noting that Kingdra gets Disable and Politoed gets Encore meaning you can immediately shut down a Pokemon and if you have all three on the field, the opponent pretty much has no answer for you. Raichu is good for preventing paralysis via electric attacks plus it provides speed control with Nuzzle/Thunder Wave and carries coverage to combat opposing Water types. Thundurus gets Prankster so it can cripple the opponents speed and fire off priority Taunts to prevent the opponent from spamming Wide Guard, Protect or even Tailwind and Trick Room. Ferrothorn is a solid answer to Fairy and Dragon types as well as opposing weather teams that aren't Sun.

Not sure how I feel about Toxicroak seeing as how it generally needs an attack stat boost to put in work due to its mediocre attack stat and its most reliable Fighting STAB does 75 damage. It works in rain but probably not in Triples. Arcanine in the rain is also unable to pick up KOs with Flare Blitz due to the attack drop from the weather condition and is also unable to fully recover its HP with Morning Sun for the same reason. It really doesn't shine in the rain.
(Aug 23, 2016, 04:23 AM)Marcusube Wrote:
(Aug 23, 2016, 12:37 AM)Allegro Wrote: @Marcusube
I could also do:

Politoed
Ludicolo
Kingdra
Arcanine
Toxicroak
Scizor

Politoed, Ludicolo, Kingdra, Gothitelle, Raichu/Thundurus and Ferrothorn is also an option as Gothitelle can trap the opponent with Shadow Tag and since Politoed gets Perish Song you can use it as a last ditch effort to win a game. Its also worth noting that Kingdra gets Disable and Politoed gets Encore meaning you can immediately shut down a Pokemon and if you have all three on the field, the opponent pretty much has no answer for you. Raichu is good for preventing paralysis via electric attacks plus it provides speed control with Nuzzle/Thunder Wave and carries coverage to combat opposing Water types. Thundurus gets Prankster so it can cripple the opponents speed and fire off priority Taunts to prevent the opponent from spamming Wide Guard, Protect or even Tailwind and Trick Room. Ferrothorn is a solid answer to Fairy and Dragon types as well as opposing weather teams that aren't Sun.

Not sure how I feel about Toxicroak seeing as how it generally needs an attack stat boost to put in work due to its mediocre attack stat and its most reliable Fighting STAB does 75 damage. It works in rain but probably not in Triples. Arcanine in the rain is also unable to pick up KOs with Flare Blitz due to the attack drop from the weather condition and is also unable to fully recover its HP with Morning Sun for the same reason. It really doesn't shine in the rain.
Thank you for the great advice, and it seems like a Solid team. I can't wait to try it out! @Marcusube
Shimono Hiro!

@Allegro No prob man. If anything comes up, you know how to contact me :]