Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Help building team around M-Altaria OU
Im trying to build a team around Mega- Altaria to use in OU, so far this is what I've got, I'd love some feedback, recommendations, etc. 

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite  
Ability: Pixilate  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Return  
- Dragon Dance  
- Roost  

Heatran @ Air Balloon  
Ability: Flash Fire  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Earth Power  
- Flamethrower  
- Dark Pulse  
- Flash Cannon  

Skarmory @ Life Orb  
Ability: Sturdy  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Stealth Rock  
- Defog  
- Brave Bird  
- Roost  

Gengar @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Destiny Bond  
- Sludge Wave  
- Focus Blast  
- Shadow Ball  

Raikou @ Leftovers  
Ability: Pressure  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  
- Thunderbolt  
- Volt Switch  
- Shadow Ball  

Chansey @ Eviolite  
Ability: Natural Cure  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Seismic Toss  
- Aromatherapy  
- Soft-Boiled  
- Thunder Wave
Have you tested the team out on Pokemon Showdown? And I feel like Destiny Bond is too predictable now-a-days w/ Focus Sash unfortunately
Feel free to post your favorite Pokémon FanArt here ϞϞ(๑⚈ ․̫ ⚈๑)∩
its been a little rough, its gone 12-5 (technically 7 but i got disconnected twice so I'm not counting those pff) I just want to make as many modifications to improve it as possible
Unfortunately, you can't expect to win them all, so that's fairly decent I'd say. I'll test it out some and get back to ya in about an hour or so. I'm thinking of switching Leftovers to Specs on Raikou, it gets more kills that way

EDIT: @Trompelemonde  Went 3-0 (was DC'd on the 4th, but all he had left was a paralyzed Slaking to a Gengar & Chansey) , I gave Raikou a Choice Specs, and changed Focus Blast to Dazzling Gleam on Gengar. Also, I'd recommend Healing Wish over Aromatherapy on Chansey, and perhaps Toxic somewhere. Overall, this team works very well! I like it! :D
Feel free to post your favorite Pokémon FanArt here ϞϞ(๑⚈ ․̫ ⚈๑)∩
Hello there @Trompelemonde, I looked at the team and there were some notable issues that I made some notable changes. Overall, all six Pokemon were kept, though I'd strongly recommend that you find a strong physical attacker for this team. Aside that, most of the Pokemon here cover each other's weaknesses and can decently well on the ladder. A couple of the items and EV spreads were rather off, but I'd change some of them to be kinda similar to the standard builds, though if you want variation, try testing different Pokemon out. Again the defensive synergy of the team is strong, though it lacks Rock-type resists, just to let you know. Aside that, here's an updated team.

Altaria-Mega (M) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Frustration / Return
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake

Since the original Mega Altaria had 252 HP, I figured I'd change the set to the Defensive Dragon Dance, or DDD which honestly is Mega Altaria most optimal set to check most Pokemon. Though the first set does lose out in power, this set enables Mega Altaria to setup on Pokemon who don't want to stay in, or can't 2HKO it. At +2 Dragon Dance, Mega Altaria can outspeed both Mega Manetric/Mega Lopunny and basically can sweep the opposing teams with the combination of Frustration (or Return since both are the same), and Earthquake for Steel-types like Heatran. Just try to keep away from Mega Scizor or Mega Metagross, but given this team has Heatran and Skarmory, that shouldn't be to much be an issue. 

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Honestly most Air Balloon Heatrans need the speed in order to win out against opposing Heatrans, or other Pokemon with a higher base speed nor more than base 76. Most offensive Mega Scizors tend to carry enough speed to outpace Heatran and hit it with a Superpower, so I made the set with Timid max speed. The last change on this set was to have Stealth Rocks on Heatran, though Chansey can use it, but I'll get to that later.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird / Iron Head
- Roost

Don't know if the EV spread or item on Skarm was a mistake when making the team, but typically most of them carry Leftovers and have max defense to tank physical attacker better. Changed Stealth Rocks to Spikes as either Heatran, or Chansey can have those, allowing your team to have access to more hazard options. Whirlwind is here to phaze, or shuffle out Pokemon to get extra residual damage from Spikes/Rocks, and possibly remove setup Pokemon like Dragon Dance Dragonite. The "attacking" moveslot is honestly up in the air as I think Iron Head can be useful to hit Fairy-types, notable Mega Diancie as this mon in particular will prevent any hazards with Magic Bounce.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt 

The problem with Focus Sash Gengar is that rarely players will be able to keep the Sash intact with things like Stealth Rocks, sand damage, and other attacks it might take during the battle. Decided to give Gengar the Life Orb item to deal massive damage and can easily 2HKO many Pokemon with its STAB options. Taunt was added kinda there to block any form of status move, like hazards, setup, recovery, etc.

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

As BoneheadMarowak said, Choice Specs Raikou can hit hard, though just watch out from being "blocked" by Ground-type switch ins. Sub Calm Mind is another set Raikou can utilize, though I feel this team need more offense and won't have Volt Switch for initative. Chances are this Raikou is going to be Volt Switch around to get in Gengar, or one of your walls on the field. 

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Not much changed, though Aromatherapy and Heal Bell are the same. Chansey can also use Stealth Rocks to allow Heatran to use something like Toxic, HP Ice, Wisp, etc.

Well that's all the changes I'd recommend, though having a wallbreaker on this team could make it better, though not sure which one. Anyways good luck testing this on Showdown.

Lakitu (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
EVs: 252 Atk / 28 SpD / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Cauldron (Heatran) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Flash Cannon

Scrambled (Chansey) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Arctic Monkeys (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt

Iron Sky (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Starships (Starmie) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

First things first is to deal with the original problems of the original team posted. Max HP Max Attack Altaria isn't a good set for it needs the speed EVs to make the Dragon Dance boosts matter. Don't use the suggested EVs that Showdown gives you because its automated in a way where all Pokemon with a base speed under 90 is set to that default EV spread. Dark Pulse is not good on Heatran in this metagame and it's better to run Lava Plume over Flamethrower strictly for the high chance to burn. Skarmory should never be running Life Orb especially because it breaks its Sturdy ability. Leftovers or Rocky Helmet make a more suitable item. Sash Gengar isn't good either with Tyranitar (sand) and the amount of hazard setting in the tier. A Life Orb set with Sludge Wave, Shadow Ball, Substitute and Focus Blast generally works best in the tier though some like to opt for Taunt. Only run Leftovers on Raikou if it's a Calm Mind set, otherwise Zap Plate, Assault Vest or Choice Specs

This team is pretty good in terms of composition and checking/countering the metagame, however, it lacks a strong physical attacker and a wallbreaker to help Altaria sweep.

In the spoiler section are my suggestions for this team:

228 EVs on Jolly M-Altaria to outspeed scarf Excadrill after one Dragon Dance. Very important due to how prevalent this Pokemon is in the tier and how easily it switches in on Altaria barring EQ and Fire Blast. The rest was dumped into Attack with a little SpDef though the SpDef investments don't achieve any notable benchmarks

I placed Taunt on Heatran so that it can check Calm Mind Clefable more effectively as well as make 1v1s with M-Venusaur more managable. The passive recovery from Leftovers is generally more useful than the Ground immunity Air Balloon gives. Leftovers allows you to take on SereneFlinch Togekiss and Jirachi as well as shrug off hits from resisted attacks such as Moonblast, Hyper Voice, Giga Drain etc.

SpDef investments on Chansey make more sense as the HP Stat is already vast enough. What I mean is, by increasing the lower stat, a Pokemon benefits more defensively. An example of this is running HP investments on Dusclops over Defense due to its very low HP but insanely high Defense

Kyurem-B is this team's go to wallbreaker. It is capable of removing the most annoying Pokemon that Altaria have to deal with. Landorus-T, M-Venusaur, Ferrothorn (after chip damage), Volcanion, Chansey among many more. You can replace Outrage for Roost if necessary, I just have Outrage there to deal with bulky walls or to pull a late game sweep

Both Spikes and Stealth Rocks are on Skarmory due to the amount of opportunities it gets to freely set up on a chunk of the meta. A physically defensive set was chosen to complement Chansey's special bulk as well as check Excadrill and Weavile better

Starmie is just here as Rapid Spin support and to possibly check Mega Medicham...possibly. I don't even know. The utility it provides is appreciated on this team. Maybe run Thunderbolt over Psyshock if the coverage is necessary to beat Slowbro, Volcanion and opposing Starmie

Let me know what you think :]
@Marcusube I'm gonna try it out  now Smile