Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[MUSIC] Do you play an instrument?
I'm interested to see what instrument, if anything, people here play. If so, for how long? What music do you like to play? How often do you practice?

Me personally, I've been playing bass for about 5 to 6 years. I practice roughly 1-2 hours a day and although I wouldn't say I limit myself to particular genres I play mostly Jazz, Funk and Metal.
(Sep 27, 2015, 03:00 PM)naitre Wrote: I played the clarinet in junior high for three years. That counts, right? Wink Really, though, I wish I was musically inclined and envy people who are.

Hey 3 years isn't bad. Honestly you probably just didn't find the right instrument for you. I played piano for 5 years before I picked up the bass and I was pathetically bad. 5 years in and it was like I never played the instrument in my life.
Naitre is Squidward, confirmed

I played drums for about 3-ish years. I had three different teachers, and was also partly self taught. I don't have a preference of what I play, mainly because I wasn't that good. I wish I had learned to play jazz style.
(Sep 27, 2015, 03:11 PM)Eckley Wrote: Naitre is Squidward, confirmed

I played drums for about 3-ish years. I had three different teachers, and was also partly self taught. I don't have a preference of what I play, mainly because I wasn't that good. I wish I had learned to play jazz style.

Man I've always loved the drums, if I had better co-ordination with my feet I probably would have learned to play them. Jazz drummers are amazing especially coming from a bass players perspective, often having to follow the feel they're trying to get across.
Im currently in the Marching Band in my High School, i play the Flute, ive been playing it for about 5 years now (and yes a guy can play a Flute Kappa)
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
Well i play the trumpet in my school (which is a concert and marching band) for 4 years now.
A legend fallen from grace.
Oh dear, the old music question....

Let's see... Violin, Viola, Cello, String Bass, Guitar, Piano, some Percussion here and there, and dabble a test run with Drums....

The two that have been longest are Piano (8 years), and Violin (15 years)

Played in Elementary School Orchestra, Middle School Orchestra, High School Orchestra, and then I short timed it with an Orchestra for the year between High School and the start of college. For the past 2 years I honestly haven't touched an instrument besides the occasional tune on the Piano because that's easy to get up and use. I wouldn't say I, personally, limit myself to a specific genre of playing, but due to the majority of places where I played, the obvious genre is classical.... After my stint with non-school related orchestra, I was so done with classical T_T (and don't get me wrong, classical is nice and all, but you play an instrument for 15 years and tell me the music you played for all 15 doesn't get a little boring)
Lead guitar. 6 years. Raunchy rock n roll, old school death metal, power metal.
Well, I play the piano... I've played for about... 12 years almost? Honestly, I'm not all that good because I'm pretty stumped where I am... I'm not getting any better but my parents still make me do it...
I also sing but just for fun or for my Music assessments since I do Music at school u vu [Not great at that either]
So to be honest, I'm a pretty mediocre musician ; w;
Practice-wise, my parents pretty much make me sit down from 1-3 hours a day... but if I'm out all day, they won't. But after a lot of going out, my mum will probably make me sit at the piano for the whole day... It's happened on a few occasions. [From 12pm-7pm]
Although I'm forced to play the piano, I do have my preferences while playing... Usually I like playing chords and singing over them... but when I'm not doing that, I prefer Rag Time or Romantic Period pieces... Two contradicting ideas but they're fun. :D
(Oct 2, 2015, 07:13 AM)RumiRenellia Wrote: Well, I play the piano... I've played for about... 12 years almost? Honestly, I'm not all that good because I'm pretty stumped where I am... I'm not getting any better but my parents still make me do it...
I also sing but just for fun or for my Music assessments since I do Music at school u vu [Not great at that either]
So to be honest, I'm a pretty mediocre musician ; w;
Practice-wise, my parents pretty much make me sit down from 1-3 hours a day... but if I'm out all day, they won't. But after a lot of going out, my mum will probably make me sit at the piano for the whole day... It's happened on a few occasions. [From 12pm-7pm]
Although I'm forced to play the piano, I do have my preferences while playing... Usually I like playing chords and singing over them... but when I'm not doing that, I prefer Rag Time or Romantic Period pieces... Two contradicting ideas but they're fun. :D

That's really sad to hear that you're forced to play. If you feel like you're stuck where you are, try playing in a group. For example, I had a friend who was classically trained who was getting tired of it so she joined a small jazz group I was in. It made her want to play, and just practicing a different genre and enjoying it is better than not enjoying it and not pushing yourself. At the end of the day you need to play because you want to, it'll be more productive and a lot better.

And don't put yourself down, I'm sure you're a lot better than you think/say you are.