Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS] Battle with Treasured Pokémon in the Johto Classic!
[Image: detail_en_d25e9884-b57f-4744-97f7-3faaf1ab3d54.jpg]

Revisit the gilded age of Pokémon Gold, Pokémon Silver, and Pokémon Crystal in the Johto Classic! Create your best team using only the first 251 Pokémon in the National Pokédex—all the Pokémon you could have originally acquired through the Kanto and Johto regions (with the exception of Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, and Celebi, which will not be permitted). You’ll compete in Single Battles, and out of your team of up to six Pokémon, only three will enter each battle. Mega Stones will not be allowed.

All qualified participants in the Johto Classic will receive a special Pokémon to be announced prior to the sign-up period. Keep checking the Pokémon Global Link for further details.

All battles will be played in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. You may bring in Pokémon from earlier games via Poké Transporter. All Pokémon above Lv. 50 will be set to Lv. 50 for the duration of the match.

Registration for the Johto Classic Online Competition begins Thursday, May 19, 2016, at 00:00 UTC. You’ll need a Pokémon Trainer Club account and your own copy of the Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire video game with a party of eligible Pokémon. And you’ll need to read and accept the regulations on the Pokémon Global Link before the battle period begins on May 27 at 00:00 UTC.

For more information on the Johto Classic Online Competition, keep checking Pokemon.com and the Pokémon Global Link!
The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long.
Anyone can singup?
@PokeTony All trainers are allowed to participate. This competition is international.
hi i want to know what pokemons are op in this format?, i dont have any idea about the meta hear XD
@phantonlara They released the format on Pokemon Showdown today so you can see what's popular by battling there.
ok tnx Smile
Well this is an easy format from what I can tell. Drizzle Politoed plus Kingdra and Kabutops should dominate, however, I can see Tyranitar surfacing as well not to mention the legendary beasts Entei, Raikou and Suicune, specifically CroCune. It should be an interesting metagame but I can tell these mons will surely centralize it
Rain Rain go away and come again another day... or get banned with all the other weather abilities.

Yeah I have to agree with Marc on this one that most of the initial teams will have some variations of Rain with Drizzle Politoed being extremely influential. Kingdra is an absolute monster in rain teams so be prepared to deal with these things with special walls like Snorlax, Clefable, Chansey/Blissey, Azumarill, or heck Ninetails to reset the weather to Sun. Honestly, there Johto Pokemon are either extremely good or mediocre in this format since we have things like Scizor, Heracross, Suicune, Tyranitar, Politoed, Feraligatr, Raikou, Entei, Azumarill, etc. Then you have... the lackluster ones like Meganium, Yanma, Unown, Sudowoodo, etc which I like... there's no way I'm not using these when the others are far better for a reason. One example is Azumarill as this thing can take on all three weather Pokemon: Ninetails, Tyranitar, and Politoed with hard damage from either Play Rough or Waterfall and its the only strong Fairy-type Pokemon not named Clefable that's really good. Porygon2 is going to be really annoying to kill if players don't have some responses for it like Toxic, Knock Off, or a Fighting-type. Despite all the weaknesses it has, Tyranitar is just as versatile and strong in this format as in almost any kind with its wide movepool, Dark/Rock STAB to hit everything neutrally, Sand Stream and unpredictable sets. Probably the biggest threat is Suicune as the Crocune set alone can beat most things in a 3v3 sitiuation unless the Pokemon has Water Absorb or is an Electric-type (why I think Lanturn might be good this time). The Kanto Pokemon are just as potent given we have things like Clefable, Drought Ninetails, Venusaur, Dragonite, Zapdos, Gyarados, Snorlax, Starmie, etc that are just going be as good as the Johto starters. Heck we might even see Rain v Sun weather wars.

I'm going to list all the "viable" Johto Pokemon that will be in the competition so here they are.

Feraligatr
Lanturn
Crobat
Ampharos
Azumarill
Politoed
Quagsire
Espeon
Umbreon
Slowking
Misdreavus
Wobbuffet
Forretress
Granbull
Steelix
Scizor
Qwilfish
Shuckle
Heracross
Ursaring
Sneasel
Skarmory
Donphan
Porygon2
Smeargle
Hitmontop
Blissey
Miltank
Raikou
Suicune
Entei
Tyranitar

thx guys this info is really useful Smile
I actually didn't take the Kanto Pokemon into much consideration @Black117 but good points. This entire thing can blow up into a huge weather war or we have something centralizing it again like how Calm Mind Unaware Clefable nearly centralized the Kanto Classic. I believe Pokemon like Meganium, Typhlosion, Togetic (specifically the NastyPass set), Piloswine and Houndoom may be getting some play as well seeing as how the latter do well competitively in Smogon.