Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS] How do you complete Pokemon?
I put an ORAS prefix, because I feel it would be the easiest to discuss. But this type of discussion is general, covering any Pokemon game.

I'm trying to break in to the forums, and take things easy. Not overly fond of posting just yet.

Greetings Programs!

So, what I ask you today is; How do you personally complete Pokemon?

• Do you rush through the game, leveling one Pokemon?
  • Do you focus on all your Pokemon, trying to keep any Pokemon you catch up around the same level?
  • Do you limit yourself; like playing the game as a Nuzlocke first, or setting other rules?

I myself go through the team, I try to keep main team around the same level. I also forbid moving forward [defeating the next gym] until I have caught all the Pokemon available in each area. I like having a full dex. The resource I usually use is Serebii, to figure out which Pokemon are in each area, and set out for each one. When a new Pokemon is available I go back as far as I can and try to catch the new Pokemon until I catch up to where I was.
I focus on getting a specific pokemon to beat the gym leader of the city I'm at, don't really care about completing the pokedex until I'm at the post-game I also get rid of my starter all the time because I never find any use for it
For some people (many people here), the game is never complete. They might try to beat the E4 just so they can breed and battle, and that's great. Others shiny hunt, others complete the dex, and some just like to play the game for what it it! nice question :D

(May 17, 2015, 03:25 PM)Krispin wah Wrote: I focus on getting a specific pokemon to beat the gym leader of the city I'm at, don't really care about completing the pokedex until I'm at the post-game I also get rid of my starter all the time because most of the time I never find any use for it

Do you find no use for the starter because they are under powered?
Have you always played Pokemon like this, or has this been something that has developed over time?

(May 17, 2015, 03:25 PM)beastmoose Wrote: For some people (many people here), the game is never complete. They might try to beat the E4 just so they can breed and battle, and that's great. Others shiny hunt, others complete the dex, and some just like to play the game for what it it! nice question :D

I consider the game completed for me when I complete the Dex, and beat the main storyline.

I still play afterwards, trying to get shinies, or making a team. So I can understand this.
Also, thank you.

So, how do you complete Pokemon? :3
If it's a new generation I try and complete the national dex before defeating the E4
If it's not I do some kind of challenge like a monotype run
(May 17, 2015, 03:44 PM)terrorkid94 Wrote: If it's a new generation I try and complete the national dex before defeating the E4

Is there any specific way you go about completing the National Dex?
Like say; trading with friends, grinding the Pokemon yourself, etc?

And by Monotype, you mean choose a specific type of Pokemon [Norma, Poison, Ghost] and try to beat the game with that? [Or perhaps you mean you can only use Pokemon with one type?]

I like the idea of what a Monotype run could be.

(May 17, 2015, 03:46 PM)naitre Wrote: ORAS felt like a chore to me, and I honestly just leveled about 3 different Pokemon to power through the story so I could move on to the good stuff at Battle Resort. I had fun in X/Y with a Wondertrade Nuzlocke, but other than that...I really just tend to box my starter and catch a few Pokemon I like along the way to the E4, and beat the gyms with them. If I encounter a Pokemon in the story that I haven't caught yet, I'll catch it, but I don't actively worry about my dex until post-game.

Was it because XY just finished having these Pokemon, and nothing new was added in [other than new Megas]?
A Wondertrade Nuzlocke sounds interesting. How do you achieve this?
Perhaps at specific areas you accept Pokemon from Wondertrade, or do you only start with Wondertraded Pokemon and try to beat the game with specifically those?

Do you like the stories, or are they a bit samey, now?

Also, final note, I think worrying about the dex post-game might be normal. x3
(May 17, 2015, 03:32 PM)Srcsqwrn Wrote: So, how do you complete Pokemon? :3

I take the story to be a very fun part of the game, and to be taken lightly. I really liked my ORAS playthrough, because I limited myself to only using Pokemon introduced in Gen. 3, as well as they had to be placed in Smogon's NU and PU tier (The dream team of Shedinja, Masquerain, Minun, Tropius, Camerupt, and Walrein). I think that adding this small challenge mad the game infinitely more fun, and I was actually screaming with joy when I beat the Champion  :P . I feel like shining the spotlight on the Pokemon that never get any attention was great, plus I got a few new favorites out of it.  :D

I played AS normally, just used whatever I caught, beat the game relatively quickly. For whatever reason gen 3 sticks out to me, so I enjoyed playing through the game but I just expected a little more. Maybe it's because they were re makes, I don't know, but when I got around to playing OR I played through using only Swampert and then I started working on the pokedex on AS but as usual I gave up after a day haha
(May 17, 2015, 03:51 PM)Srcsqwrn Wrote:
(May 17, 2015, 03:44 PM)terrorkid94 Wrote: If it's a new generation I try and complete the national dex before defeating the E4

Is there any specific way you go about completing the National Dex?
Like say; trading with friends, grinding the Pokemon yourself, etc?

And by Monotype, you mean choose a specific type of Pokemon [Norma, Poison, Ghost] and try to beat the game with that? [Or perhaps you mean you can only use Pokemon with one type?]

I like the idea of what a Monotype run could be.

(May 17, 2015, 03:46 PM)naitre Wrote: ORAS felt like a chore to me, and I honestly just leveled about 3 different Pokemon to power through the story so I could move on to the good stuff at Battle Resort. I had fun in X/Y with a Wondertrade Nuzlocke, but other than that...I really just tend to box my starter and catch a few Pokemon I like along the way to the E4, and beat the gyms with them. If I encounter a Pokemon in the story that I haven't caught yet, I'll catch it, but I don't actively worry about my dex until post-game.

Was it because XY just finished having these Pokemon, and nothing new was added in [other than new Megas]?
A Wondertrade Nuzlocke sounds interesting. How do you achieve this?
Perhaps at specific areas you accept Pokemon from Wondertrade, or do you only start with Wondertraded Pokemon and try to beat the game with specifically those?

Do you like the stories, or are they a bit samey, now?

Also, final note, I think worrying about the dex post-game might be normal. x3

Grinding and trading for the stuff I can't get on my game and all one type. Psychic was my favorite I my final team was Delphox Slowbro Exeggutor Mr.Mime Medicham and Sigilyph
(May 17, 2015, 03:57 PM)beastmoose Wrote: I take the story to be a very fun part of the game, and to be taken lightly. I really liked my ORAS playthrough, because I limited myself to only using Pokemon introduced in Gen. 3, as well as they had to be placed in Smogon's NU and PU tier (The dream team of Shedinja, Masquerain, Minun, Tropius, Camerupt, and Walrein). I think that adding this small challenge mad the game infinitely more fun, and I was actually screaming with joy when I beat the Champion  :P . I feel like shining the spotlight on the Pokemon that never get any attention was great, plus I got a few new favorites out of it.  :D

That sounds quite fantastic. I'm glad you'd gotten so much joy over limiting yourself like that! :D
There are certainly many ways to go about the Pokemon games, other than vanilla. THe path you chose seemed to have worked out well.

(May 17, 2015, 04:01 PM)naitre Wrote: I felt like ORAS was a bit of a step backwards after X/Y, but that might just be because I'm salty about losing character customization. I think it was a combination of just having put down X/Y for it and some other factors in my life that just took interest away from it. I'm not really a huge fan of the storyline, but I don't think anyone really plays Pokemon for its riveting storyline, haha. Pokemon is just competitive for me and nothing else.

As soon as I was able to Wondertrade, I gave away all my prized Wurmples and played the game with the first 6 Pokemon I received on Wondertrade. It was a nice change of pace and brought some challenge to the scripted game, since I couldn't just go counter-team the gym leader to win.

I really dislike when Nintendo makes a new Pokemon game, but they take out past features. Features that were collectively positive. Having character customization in this would have been pretty nice. I miss seeing the first Pokemon in my party, walking with me, too. ;c
But I understand for the most part I think. Sometimes Pokemon games come out too quickly, I feel.

I do wish the story-lines were better, though. I don't think anyone really plays for the story-line, but that might be because Nintendo misses a large demographic.

If I hadn't started to play the way I normally do, I think I would play this way.
When the next Pokemon game comes out I think this will be a route I'm willing to go. Thanks for the new idea. :D

Competitive seems like it really is the main way to go in the games.

(May 17, 2015, 04:11 PM)Eckley Wrote: I played AS normally, just used whatever I caught, beat the game relatively quickly. For whatever reason gen 3 sticks out to me, so I enjoyed playing through the game but I just expected a little more. Maybe it's because they were re makes, I don't know, but when I got around to playing OR  I played through using only Swampert and then I started working on the pokedex on AS but as usual I gave up after a day haha

That's unfortunate. I really do feel that the Pokemon games could be expanded on a bit more, and each version of the game could have decent differences.
But, I've spoken to someone about this in the past. They basically say; "If they formula works the way it is, and sells as much as it does, Nintendo doesn't have to care who they sell to. People already buy it up as it is."

(May 17, 2015, 04:28 PM)terrorkid94 Wrote: Grinding and trading for the stuff I can't get on my game and all one type. Psychic was my favorite I my final team was Delphox Slowbro Exeggutor Mr.Mime Medicham and Sigilyph

Very cool. You basically played through the game as if you were a Gym Leader. I like that. Commendable, and sounds difficult to go against your weaknesses.