Poll: Would you be interested paricipating in a Double Battle Tournament without "Pentagon Rule" ?
This poll is closed.
Yes
36.84%
7 36.84%
Maybe... Depends if I can prepare for the suggested format
36.84%
7 36.84%
No
26.32%
5 26.32%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS] No Pentagon Rule Tourney (Thoughts and Ideas)
No Pentagon Rule Tourney (Thoughts and Ideas)

I was thinking about hosting a double battle tourney where we have standard VGC 2015 rules with the exception of the "Pentagon Rule". This would make for an interesting format considering all Gen 3-5 exclusive moves and abilities from most Pokemon (Eruption Heatran, Sheer Force Landorus, Follow Me Magmar) would legal to use for this format. Obviously not all of us here have access to most of these event exclusive moves and hidden abilities so I'm not going to host the tourney this upcoming weekend, rather sometime around "late" June for sure. I have a poll up in any is interested in partaking in this tourney so please take a couple minutes to answer, and maybe respond here with your opinion.
Yeah like you said I myself don't have access to these things but that doesn't mean I can't ask someone to help me get those Pokemon, the only thing I'm worried about is I don't know if this is just flat rules (probably is) but the game detects these "illegal" moves (or moves that they can only know in previous gens) and prevents you from battling, like I said it's probably just flat rules but I'm just wondering since I haven't tested it.
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
Extreme Speed Linoone returns kappaHD
[Insert signature here]
If this tourney ends up happening. I could help supply Pokemon, well, if you need help that is.

(May 25, 2015, 05:46 AM)Animekid7 Wrote: Yeah like you said I myself don't have access to these things but that doesn't mean I can't ask someone to help me get those Pokemon, the only thing I'm worried about is I don't know if this is just flat rules (probably is) but the game detects these "illegal" moves (or moves that they can only know in previous gens) and prevents you from battling, like I said it's probably just flat rules but I'm just wondering since I haven't tested it.

The game will allow you to battle using the pokemon with friends / passerby as long as the pokemon had access to the move at some time in a previous gen(s). Though if I recall, the pokemon will be restricted from entering Battle Spot.

(May 25, 2015, 07:35 AM)Marcusube Wrote: Extreme Speed Linoone returns kappaHD

Death to all Sad If you don't have a pokemon with focus sash, say your prayers ~

There was actually a way to get a legit e-speed Linoone in Gen VI. Though the event is long gone now qq
I like it and would play if it's a classic bracket tourney. The amount of players lately has been to small for a Swiss tourney.
#TeamForum

Sounds like a pretty cool idea! Id probably partake.
I have 2 questions:

1) Is it "No Pentagon" only?
2) Are there enough interesting illegal moves/abilities to make teams different from each others? If the answer is yes, is there a list or a source that we can use to check what are the existing illegal moves/abilities we can use?
(May 25, 2015, 10:11 AM)GMX Wrote: I have 2 questions:

2) Are there enough interesting illegal moves/abilities to make teams different from each others? If the answer is yes, is there a list or a source that we can use to check what are the existing illegal moves/abilities we can use?

One move I recall is swift for Pidgeot. It's actually so unfortunately they removed it. I actually would have liked to test its viability now that it has a Mega. It's also one of the only moves that can hit both pokemon in doubles without having to worry about accuracy. Though there are a lot others. Serebii has it organized very well actually. It's located on any pokemon page at the bottom, just before the stats.

Edit: Ah naitre beat me to it.
(May 25, 2015, 10:58 AM)naitre Wrote:
(May 25, 2015, 10:11 AM)GMX Wrote: I have 2 questions:

If you look a pokemon up on serebii, it will show you a list of generation specific moves as "transfer only moves" or "gen x only moves," depending on the dex you're looking out. Scroll to the bottom of Weavile's XY entry to find "transfer only moves." Those are the moves Weavile can learn in previous gens (it lists which gen) that aren't VGC legal for 2015.

I'm not sure of any better way to get this info because each Pokemon is unique in its transfer movepool. There are a lot of fantastic moves that aren't VGC legal that can really benefit you, such as Soft-Boiled Clefable and moves from previous gen events, like ExtremeSpeed Entei.

The problem that I see is that Serebii isn't always perfect with showing Transfer-only moves. Weavile is the perfect example. Just compare Weavile's Transfer-only moves to Sneasel's. They should be the same, but they didn't update Weavile's moves to include those that could only be obtained in Gen 3 where only Sneasel was available. Likewise, through XD, it was possible to get a Chikorita with Frenzy Plant, but that move is nowhere to be seen on its Serebii page for Gen 6, while it is on its page for Gen 3. With a little digging, it is possible to figure out all of the legal moves any given Pokemon could have in this format, but it just takes the extra effort.

That being said, I think this is a really cool idea for a tournament, given of course that everyone can find someone willing to gen Pokemon for them that they couldn't get otherwise, just to ensure we're all on an equal playing field.
I still think it's annoying to find all of these infos on Serebii and it will be hard to check if every partecipant is actually using a Transfer-only move on his/her pokemons (for ex. i could bring a Pentagon Entei without ESpeed), plus i don't know if Flat rules allows a No Pentagon pokemon. Another reason for this tourney being a bit unappealing is the fact that our current metagame is so vast that we don't even need to see how Follow Me Magmar or an ESpeed Entei would work (Defiant Tornadus and only a few other things may work and i'm not even sure of it - Belly Drum ESpeed Linoone is not one of these  :P ).  There are many other issues too, but i think all of you understand the problems.

Having said that, i don't mind you if still want to try this thing, but i personally would like to see more viable tourneys so that we can have more people to join it.