Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS & XY] Pokemon legitimacy thread
Discuss the legitimacy of pokemon using PKHex here! Having tough time trading the pokemon you pokegenned? We're here to help you to see if it is legit!

First before you talk about if your pokemon is not legit, check serebii's pokedex to see if your pokemon matches the met level or met location.
This thread is a great idea, that is all.

Also just a tip to anyone scanning QR codes, make sure the author is legitimate/reliable with putting out legitimate Pokemon. A lot of the people over at /r/PokemonQRCodes state if they're Pokemon they've legitimately obtained or not.
Hey! How would we compare the pokemon we have? Like If I have a breloom, how would I actually check if it's legal? Also what would I do if it isn't legal? I forgot what else I wanted to ask but some answers would be nice :D thanks!
I believe you can check by seeing if it was obtained at a location where it was caught, then checking the routes you can catch them in you PokeDex. But really well done PkHex generations are quite hard to spot.
Yeah, I see that lol. A zekrom met at lvl 1? Really lol
(Feb 24, 2015, 05:22 PM)Nickdance3 Wrote: Hey! How would we compare the pokemon we have? Like If I have a breloom, how would I actually check if it's legal? Also what would I do if it isn't legal? I forgot what else I wanted to ask but some answers would be nice :D thanks!

If you are talking about legality in Pokemon, there are some terms everyone should know regardless if they play competitive or not. First off, there are 3 terms we use to describe the legality of any Pokemon: legit, legal, and illegal. When someone says their 4 iv Cresselia is "legit" (according to their word, I'll get back to this later), it means that the Pokemon hasn't be altered in any way and is natural found in the game through either breeding/soft resetting. When we're talking about "legal" Pokemon, it can mean several things. 1) Probably the most common is that legal Pokemon (and legit) are the only two can be traded online or battle with/against on Wifi. 2) Don't confuse the terms "legal" and "legit" interchangeably since remember both aren't the same. The main difference is legal Pokemon are hacked/edits but follows all the criteria of the Pokemon's location, starting level, gender, poke ball, etc. Essentially these Pokemon are allowed in Wifi because the game cannot determine anything where it can potentially be hacked and can be used alongside legitimate Pokemon.

Now illegal Pokemon fairly easy to spot since those are hacked Pokemon who don't follow the criteria of the what I mentioned earlier (event, location, met, starting level, ball, gender, fixed OT/SID, etc). Hacked Pokemon like Wonder Guard Sableye, preexisting Mega Salamence with an item, Event Mewtwo with wrong ball, etc. Honestly there isn't a way atm to distinguish legit and legal unless the person admits they made the Pokemon in the first place. One misconception I usually hear from people (and it can get rather annoying at times) is the blue pentagon indicates a certain pokemon is hacked, which isn't true. Pokemon without the blue pentagon means they are transfers from any of the Gen 3-5 games while those with the pentagon indicate they were catch/hatched from the 6th (current) gen. A well made hacked/edited Pokemon can pass as "legal" as long as it checks through the rather less scrutinized legality checkers of battle spot, poke transfer, or online wifi. This where much of the debate/strife is considering certain players may accuse another another of having an illegal/hacked Pokemon while others like me just want to play with everything as long as it legal Pokemon standards.

My best advice is to only worry about if the Pokemon is legal or not since its very difficult to determine whether the Pokemon was found naturally or edited other than "trust" (unless you made a video indicating the Pokemon itself). That said, I recommended everyone to look up Bulbapedia/Serebii regarding the distribution of Regular/Event Pokemon since it will definitely help root out bad hacks and "good' ones.
(Feb 24, 2015, 06:27 PM)Black117 Wrote:
(Feb 24, 2015, 05:22 PM)Nickdance3 Wrote: Hey! How would we compare the pokemon we have? Like If I have a breloom, how would I actually check if it's legal? Also what would I do if it isn't legal? I forgot what else I wanted to ask but some answers would be nice :D thanks!

If you are talking about legality in Pokemon there are some terms everyone who plays Pokemon, competitve or not should know. First off, there are 3 terms we use to describe the legality of any Pokemon: legit, legal, and illegal. When someone says a there 4 iv Cresselia is "legit" (according to their word, I'll get back to this later), it means that the Pokemon hasn't be altered in any way and is natural found in the game through either breeding/soft resetting. When we talk about "legal" Pokemon, it can mean several things. 1) Probably the most common is that legal Pokemon (and legit) are the only two can be traded online or battle with/against on Wifi. 2) Don't confuse the terms legal and legit interchangeably since remember both aren't the same. The main difference legal Pokemon are hacked but follows all the criteria of the Pokemon's location, starting level, gender, poke ball, etc. Essentially if these Pokemon are allowed in Wifi because the game cannot determine anything where it can potentially be hacked and can be used alongside legitimate Pokemon.

Now illegal Pokemon are those who don't follow the criteria of the what I mentioned earlier (event, location, met, starting level, ball, gender, fixed OT/SID, etc) and are far easier to distinguish, Hacked Pokemon like Wonder Guard Sableye, preexisting Mega Salamence with an item, Event Mewtwo with wrong ball, etc. Honestly there isn't a way Atm the only way to distinguish legit and legal the person admits they made the Pokemon in the first place. One misconception I usually hear from people (and it can get rather annoying at times) is the blue pentagon indicates a certain pokemon is hacked, which isn't true. Pokemon without the blue pentagon means they are transfers from any of the Gen 3-5 games while those with the pentagon indicate they're from the 6th (current) gen. A well made hacked/edited Pokemon can pass as legal as it checks through the rather less scrutinized legality checkers in battle spot, poke transfer, or online wifi. This where much of the debate/strife is considering certain players may accuse another another of having an illegal/hacked Pokemon while others like me just want to play with everything as long as it legal under the main Pokemon standards.

My best advice is to only worry about if the Pokemon is legal or not since its very difficult to determine whether the Pokemon was found naturally or edited other than "trust" (unless you made a video indicating the Pokemon itself). That said, I recommended everyone to look up Bulbapedia/Serebii regarding the distribution of Regular/Event Pokemon since it will definitely help root out bad hacks and "good' ones.

Okay! Thanks for the advice! Won't confuse the two again! xP
Ok so I am asking out of curiosity, if I make a pokemon with PKHeX and make it under all the "legal" terms so much that it looks like a legit, for an example a Suicune and then I take it to a regional or some official event. Is there a way they will now if a made pokemon? Do they have a special way of checking them (like a machine)? Or is it ok if I can trade, play on battle spot and do the pokebank transfer? is it the same "check" like the battle spot? I know too much questions sorry, but I haven't seen a discussion about this anywhere else.

BTW sorry for my bad grammar, English is not my native language.
If the Pokemon is made properly, including memories, it will be legal to use anywhere.
#TeamForum

(Feb 26, 2015, 04:26 AM)tygaa2 Wrote: If the Pokemon is made properly, including memories, it will be legal to use anywhere.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. It is not legal to use hacked pokémon in a official VGC tournament.

Quote:2.1. Illegally Manipulated Pokémon
The use of external devices, such as a mobile app, to modify or create items or Pokémon in a player’s
Battle Box is expressly forbidden. Players found to have Pokémon or items that have been tampered
with will be disqualified from competition, regardless of whether the Pokémon or items belong to that
player or were traded for. POP recommends players only use Pokémon that they have raised themselves
and items that they have received through normal gameplay. It is always the player’s responsibility to
have legal Pokémon and items during the competition

You can obviously make the argument that you won't get caught if it's done properly, but IMO that is irrelevant.