Poll: Do you agree with or do Pokegen?
Yeah, it's not that bad
Nah, I don't think it's fair to those who worked hard
[Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Pokegen Ethics
Question 
So I've been trying to get more and more competitive, and one important thing that I use on teams a lot are legendaries like Heatran or Landorus. The thing is, I have NEVER been able to IV train. I mean, I've tried for weeks on end with nothing. I have always considered pokegenning, but I never had because I always felt bad for the people who worked hard to get their competitive shinys or legends. But recently, I've been very tempted to gen in a Cresselia or something, or like a 6 IV Ditto for breeding. I just wanted to know what the community thought of genning for competitive pokes :/ Thanks

IMO it's much more rewarding to acquire the Pokes in a legit fashion, but I can see how some people just don't have the time for that. And if you trade to get them, you can never really tell if the Poke you got was genned or not. In the end, it's not really about whether or not you (or someone else) cheated for the Pokemon, it's about how well you can handle yourself in a battle.

Hope this helps! Smile
IMO it doesn't matter. When it comes down to it, what matters is your battling skill. You're not hacking your Pokemon in a way to give them 9999999 in all stats.

To be real: If I beat my opponent and outplay them the entire time, it doesn't matter if I genned, bred, or even borrowed a Pokemon from a friend. I'm still a better battler than my opponent. It isn't a breeding/soft reset tournament. :b
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
Genning is all about saving time. You could spend days, weeks, months soft resetting to get the 'perfect' legendary pokemon or a few minutes to gen one in. Same with breeding. If i had infinite amounts of time, I'd be soft resetting till it happens (it took me 6hrs soft resetting to get a decent Diancie when it was released). Realistically, life doesn't work that way. So you can spend months getting the perfect pokemon or minutes to get the exact same thing.

Ethically, it is only wrong if the stats, abilities or movesets deviate from the original pokemon. If you do it just to make a pokemon shiny, that's just an aesthetic alteration.

Like it's been said before, it's all about how you battle. A full team of genned in legendaries can die to a single caterpie when done correctly. It's all about battling abilities. That's my two cents at least
I personally don't gen pokémon because i get more like breeding and i get more gratification from, buts that's saying i'm not against people genning, like Ashen said its a huge time saver, as a breeder i can tell you i can spend like 3 days to a week breeding an entire teams, but i don't use legionaries since i don't gen and i don't feel like spending hours soft resetting, if you feel like you dont wanna spend hours apon days to breed a team just gen it, i wont judge you Smile, i want you to finish your team so i can test you skill kappa
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
I don't gen Pokémon myself, mainly because I don't know how, but I have had other people on these forums use Powersave to alter some of the legendaries I caught so I can use them competitively. I work a full-time job so when I have time to play, the last thing I want to do is soft reset 1,000 times to try and get a Thundurus or Heatran with a perfect nature and IVs. Genning and Powersaving have become part of the competitive community. I'd say 99.99% of teams you see on Battle Spot have at least one altered or genned Pokémon.
Who cares what the community thinks. Genning is just a faster method of getting things you want. Everyone has access or at least had access to the method but looked away from it and that's their business. If they don't think highly of genning, at the end of the day that's their opinion. Bottom line - Nothing is wrong with genning.
[Insert signature here]
I'm gonna be honest, I use PKHex (Pokegen) mainly because I don't like breeding. I say as long as the pokemon has legit moves and stats, who really cares? It's the battle that matters not how you got the Pokemon you're battling with.
As long as you're making legal Pokemon and not passing off events as legit, I don't care. Sometimes we all don't have the time to breed a shiny 6IV competitive Pokemon with egg moves. :p