Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] First competitively bred team
Hey guys would love to hear your thoughts on my team - unfortunately Mega Gengar is banned on Smogon so I can't test the effectiveness of my team on showdown so I'm breeding them into my game blind - your thoughts would help a lot!

[Image: gengar_mega_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49lt.gif]
Mega-Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA | 252 Spe | 4 HP
Nature: Timid
- Protect
- Disable
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball

Most people run M-Gengar with Taunt, Destiny Bond and Focus Blast for coverage, but the only time I'd see myself trying that is if I'm in the red and can out speed my opponent, I wouldn't even bother with taunt. So instead I chose protect and disable to try and prevent the revenge sweep before I hit them with a STAB. I chose Energy Ball over Focus Blast because I don't like the accuracy of Focus Blast. RNG hates me. SLudge Bomb over Sludge Wave purely for breeding purposes - couldn't get Sludge Wave.

[Image: bisharp_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a43b7.gif]
Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk | 252 Spe | 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Bisharp is here to pretty much try counter any ghost types that try to take out M-Gengar. He resists ghosts so makes him an easy switch in, then between Sucker Punch and Pursuit he's almost guaranteed an effective STAB. Iron Head thrown in for extra STAB.

[Image: talonflame.gif]
Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EV: 252 Atk | 252 Spe | 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Bulk Up

His typing makes a pretty good switch in for any ground or fighting that might try take out Bisharp + he is just an awesome physical sweeper. I like the Bulk Up option because if you can predict the opponent well you can become almost unstoppable with a free Bulk Up on switch or something. Roost adds longevity.

[Image: gastrodon_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49m0.gif]
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpDef
Nature: Relaxed
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Gastrodon is my obligatory check for Rotom-W. He is resistant to anything he might try throw at Talonflame and can check him with an Earthquake - which is much needed ground coverage anyway. I was considering going for all out SpDef with Gastro but thought I'd try balance his overall defence instead since his SpDef is pretty high anyway. Scald for the STAB + chance to burn, Toxic to annoy and Recover to assist his bulkiness.

[Image: skarmory_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a490f.gif]
Skarmory @  Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 Atk
- Roost
- Whirldwind
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird

Pretty much thrown in due to a lack of physical defence. Skarmory is my wall for any physical sweepers. Brave Bird is a great STAB and with Roost should be easy to get off a few times. Stealth Rock and Whirlwind thrown in with Rocky Helmet to annoy and prevent anyone from setting up.

[Image: sylveon_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a48wx.gif]
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP | 252 SpDef | 4 Def
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Hyper Voice

Thrown in a special wall, with Wish and Protect to ensure a recovery option. Will also enable her to heal others alongside with heal bell. Hyper Voice becomes a great STAB thanks to pixilate - which gives me my much needed coverage for dragon.

I haven't had a chance to test them out fully so I'm not sure how good the synergy is or where my weaknesses are - if you could hook a brother up with your opinion that'd be great thanks Smile
Hey there I really like your team but as far as I know of you can't hit Rotom-W with a earthquake thanks to the Levitate ability but that's all I have to say about what you wrote. It looks like a great team for as far I can see :D
Oh crap that's a good point! Would Earth Power hit?
That also sadly wouldn't hit. But Gastrodon is a great counter against Rotom-W thanks to her ability Storm Drain which makes it immune to Water STAB, and being ground type, it's immune to Electric STAB so I would definity keep her in your team to toxic stall him.

But if you want to deal with it quickly I would recommend using a life orb Excadrill with mold breaker. Then you will be able to hit Rotom-W with earthquake.
I made a quick damage calc and found out that you can take Rotom-W out in 1 hit with these EVs 120HP/136ATK/252SPDef

136+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 315-374 (103.6 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It also will survive a hydro pump from Rotom-W for sure

0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Excadrill: 254-302 (64.9 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Excadrill: 320-378 (81.8 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The only Rotom you should be afraid of then is Choice spec Rotom-w as it will probably take it out in one hit

0 SpA Choice Specs Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Excadrill: 380-450 (97.1 - 115%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

The downside to this is that you will have two pokemon who are weak against water/no way to counter that.
Yeah I'd be worried about the typing then with Excadrill, I reckon the way to go will be to figure out a moveset that will work with Gastrodon. I'd go SpDef EVs + Nature and use mirrorcoat but I'd have to rebreed him since it's an egg move Sad
How did you get the sprites in? O.o
There's a link to the .gifs in the general discussion forum. Just surround the like with the img /img tags and done deal Smile
Thanks ^_^