Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] My First S&M OU Team
INTRODUCTION AND THOUGHTS

What's up everybody! I can bet all of you are as excited as I am about the new games that came out today (as this was written November 18, 2016) as well as the metagames that we will be developing over the period of time. Of course with a new region comes a whole new world (not Johto this time) of fresh Pokemon. Now I'll admit that I'm not too impressed with a good amount of this dex, particularly due to most of these Pokemon having subpar to horrible base speed stats. Nevertheless this new metagame should be interesting at least so without further ado, my first team:

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

[Image: lycanroc-midnight.png]

We begin with my boy Lycanroc. Now, when the competitive stats of all the Pokemon were leaked alongside fun stuff such as their abilities and possible moves for competitive, I couldn't help but notice that Lycanroc gets No Guard + Stone Edge. Now Rock hits a lot of types for at least neutral and hits a bit less for super effective. Paired with a base attack stat of 115 and a speed stat of 82, this monster will most likely be outspeeding the majority of the Alolan dex and a bit of the National dex

[Image: vikavolt.png]

Next up, Vikavolt. Now Vikavolt reminds me a lot of Eelektross as it has a decent movepool toppled with a nice defensive typing and access to a very slow Volt Switch. This monster also has a base special attack stat of 145 so those slow pivots really pack a punch. It synergizes with Lycanroc as it's ability and typing allows it to cover Lycanroc's weakness to Grass, Water (hits for supereffective but doesn't wall per say), Fighting and Ground, not to mention Vikavolt's slow Volt Switch allows Lycanroc to get a good matchup and spam some Choice Banded Stone Edges

[Image: toxapex.png]

Now to solidify my core and give my team the overall balanced feeling, I brought in Toxapex. Toxapex is an ungodly amazing wall. Poison/Water gives it so many resistances and its defenses and access to Recover and Regenerator means that this thing is going to be a real pain to take out. Did I also mention that it gets Scald. Toxapex absorbs a majority of the attacks that comes to my teammates and it synergies with Vikavolt's typing as Vikavolt resists or is immune to everything Toxapex is weak to except Psychic which it hits for supereffective. Maaaaagic!!

[Image: lurantis.png]

In no way, shape or form do I run a team that's weak to entry hazards and not run some form of control. Now in reference to the leaks, I found out that Lurantis gets Defog via egg move. My team really needed a solid defensive option, super effective hit against water as well as a resist and hazard control. Lurantis is pretty fun due to the fact that it gets Contrary Leaf Storm! Just like Serperior did in gen 6! But seriously, it can sustain itself with Synthesis and get off Defog safely in most situations (though I don't recall ever needing to use the move while using this team). 70/90/90 bulk isn't all that bad and certainly this Pokemon isn't outspeeding anything so I figured defensive investments would be a better use for it

[Image: kommoo.png]

I originally was going to use Drampa but its speed left much to be desired and it just didn't fit my team. Kommo-o is interesting because of its Dragon/Fighting typing being able to hit everything for neutral outside of Fairies and it's abilities and movepool.

[Image: primarina.png]

And last but not least, the starter that I intend to choose when I purchase this game, Primarina. All I can say is it is a powerful Fairy type and I use it as an attacker because of its movepool. Torrent over Liquid Voice because to be honest, Liquid Voice is just bad when SCALD exists.

THE TEAM

Claus (Lycanroc-Midnight) @ Choice Band
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Brick Break
- Crunch
- Fire Fang

Elekross (Vikavolt) @ Magnet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball
- Bug Buzz

The Wall (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Baneful Bunker
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Mienshao's Bae (Lurantis) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Synthesis

Major Scales (Kommo-o) @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Sky Uppercut
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

Plaris (Primarina) @ Life Orb
Ability: Liquid Voice
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Lycanroc has a pretty horrible movepool so I really just chose moves that looked competitive. Didn't run Sucker Punch because banded Sucker Punch isn't the most ideal thing to lock yourself into. I would've really appreciated if this thing at least got Ice Fang, Accelerock, Superpower or Earthquake but you just gotta do with what this game throws at ya I guess

For Vikavolt, I just took Galvantula's Life Orb set and implemented it. Thunderbolt and Bug Buzz for STAB, Volt Switch for pivoting and Energy Ball to wipe out Ground types that want to stop me from Volt Switching

Baneful Bunker to get an extra turn of passive recovery, Scald...come on really, you've been playing since gen 5 (burns are fun yes yes), Recover for sustain and Toxic Spikes for a form of entry hazard

A shame Kommo-o didn't get Close Combat or Superpower but that may have made it broken. Dragon Dance to boost stats and Outrage to clean up (also this 33% confusion chance has been so forgiving!), Sky Uppercut for the strongest fighting STAB it can have and Poison Jab to hit Fairies

Primarina runs Scald and Moonblast for reliable STAB coverage, Psychic for Poison types and Hidden Power Fighting for Steel types

Again, Sun and Moon just started so this team is really just to mess around and see what's going on for this generation so with all that said, thank you all so much for reading this to the end and please leave a comment rating my team
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-478702444
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-478699307
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-478696022
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-478690926

I totally forgot to put these in the write up
Hey man, nice team you got! I love Lycanroc, although Midday form is better in competitive imo.

Since Sun/Moon doesn't have a very stable meta yet, I won't do a super in-depth analysis, but I'd like to point out something:

Your team is actually pretty slow; in the first replay, the Jirachi boosted its speed and basically swept you if not for the hax that you got, and I would suggest replacing something on your team to add more speed.

Other than that, as I previously said, I would wait to see where the metagame goes before going any further in the rating (if you can call that a rating lol) of this team. Have fun playing with it!
Awesome @Marcusube! So excited to see such an early team write up!
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
Don't think I didn't see your comment @Feax !!

Teambuilding is so much fun and I really wrote this up to inspire the members of the community to get into Gen 7s metagame because it surely looks interesting!

@"Elly" I'm fully aware of the speed tiers of my team. Problem is, the majority of the Alolan dex is slow and I really wanted to experiment more with the new Pokemon than everything Gen 6 and before. Really hoping that this metagame develops a bit sooner because having everything back in OU makes it harder to build against the meta seeing as how there is no stable meta right now

@Justin Thanks man! :]
(Nov 19, 2016, 05:01 AM)Marcusube Wrote: Don't think I didn't see your comment

mb deleted it on accident on mobile
still gona try out your team on showdown and really liked reading it !!!
Why HP Flying over HP Fire on Lurantis? Is it for something specific?
@Bucsfan818 To be honest, I didn't really think the Hidden Power part through but yes, Hidden Power Fire would've been a better option to hit Steel types, Grass types etc. A shame this thing only gets Grass special attacks
@Marcusube yea i know. Before any info was released i was hyped for Lurantis. Now i like Tsareena more since it gets Rapid Spin and High Jump Kick
@Marcusube Understandable, I also love to play around with the new mons right now.