Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] My Official Team
Hey guys! This is the layout for my main competitive team! I'm looking for any advice I can get! I prefer VGC Double Battles. All pokemon have max IVs.

Pokemon: Gliscor
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Adamant
Held Item: Toxic Orb
EV Spread: 252 Def, 126 Attack, 126 Speed
Moveset: Facade - Rock Slide - Roost - Swords Dance

Gliscor has been with me since day one of my pokemon journey and cannot be replaced. He is my partner in crime and by far my favorite pokemon! I think that the Poison Heal ability with a toxic orb is brilliant and works wonders with Facade. Roost is a given obvious. Swords Dance is always my first move in battle. It will set up Gliscor for a sharpened attack stat to give Facade more power when the poison kicks in as if 140 damage wasn't enough!

Pokemon: Aegislash
Ability: Stance Change (Duh)
Nature: Impish
Held Item: Weakness Policy
EV Spread: 252 Attack, 126 Defense, 126 SpDef
Moveset: Sacred Sword - King's Shield - Iron Head - Shadow Claw

Aegislash is a fantastic pokemon that is very well rounded considering it can change its battling style at literally any time. The moveset is wonderful. However some people have recommended a special attacking Aegislash. Any thoughts?

Pokemon: Cradily
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Bold
Held Item: Leftovers
EV Spread: 252 SpAtk, 126 Def, 126 SpDef
Moveset: Ingrain - Stockpile - Energy Ball - Sludge Bomb

Honestly, I love this Cradily. It builds up a huge wall on itself with stockpile x3. Then with ingrain AND leftovers, I automatically heal twice every turn. Storm Drain is nice to take water type attacks for other pokemon who can't handle it such as Talonflame. Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb are very good attacks with the ability to lower SpDef and Poison the target. For the EV Sread, should I put 252 SpAtk and 252 SpDef instead of what is above? Because I know Cradily has a huge problem with Ice Types.

Pokemon: Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
Held Item: Life Orb
EV Spread: 252 Atk, 252 Speed (OR 252 Attack, 126 Speed, 126 SpDef) Which should I use?
Moveset: Brave Bird - Flare Blitz - Roost - UTurn

When I got pokemon Y, my first pokemon I actually caught was a Fletchling. I saw it and fell in love with it. It was one of my main pokemon through out the whole game. I decided to put it on my competitive team. The life orb is there to boost attack power. Gale wings gives priority to Brave Bird and Roost. Roost is important in this build considering the fact that the life orb will slowly leech away at my health. UTurn is good to get Talonflame out of a risky situation. Some people have it hold a Choice Scarf and replace Roost with Me First. Someone said thats what they used to combat a dragon dance Dragonite. They also said that this style of Talonflame was a Revenge Killer. Im not sure, because in this case Talonflame is limited to only one attack.

Pokemon: Azumaril
Ability: Huge Power
Held Item: Assault Vest
EV Spread: 252 HP, 252 Atk
Moveset: Aqua Jet - Waterfall - Play Rough - Knockoff

Azumarill also takes out opposing Lando-Ts easily with waterfall while play rough can help deal some nice damage as it provides good power and coverage. Aqua jet is there to finish of some pokemon that are left with a little bit of HP. Would protect be necessary?

Pokemon: Kangaskhan
Ability: Scrappy (Parental Bond)
Held Item: Mega Stone (Parental Bond)
EV Spread: 252 Atk, 252 Speed
Moveset: Sucker Punch - Powerup Punch - Double Edge - Fakeout

Mega Kangaskhan can only be described as BROKEN. In all honesty its so great though. There isnt much I can say about it negatively.

Right now, everything about this team is ok. Im questioning some things though. As of right now, Cradily is my only special attacker. I don't know if that is good or bad. All I know is that some people say Aegislash should be a special attacker. I think Talonflame is fine, but would the revenge killer be better? Then should I run protect on Azumaril? Thank you for your time and all comments are welcome. I want to get some critique here.
(Feb 7, 2016, 01:35 PM)Tanner Harig Wrote: [align=center] I prefer VGC Double Battles.

If this is a team made for VGC then I do have a couple suggestions.

You stated that Cradily is your only special attacker, so a couple things come to mind right away. You could easily replace Cradily for Xerneas or even Mewtwo Y.

M-Kang could be replaced by Mewtwo Y if you're in need of another Special Attacker.

Gengar could pose as a major threat to M-Kang, especially if it has Skill Swap (because then gengar is getting parental bond, allowing it to hit twice). I believe Sylveon also gets skill swap but im not too sure, dazzling gleam could be very deadly if so. I feel like Weavile would be a decent sub, if you're using M-Kang mainly for fake out. Weavile doesnt have a good defense though. Smeargle also wouldnt be bad if you had something that could protect it while it set-up a dark void.
Formerly Sir Absol

Genning/Powersave Expert            #SylveonIsOP
(Feb 7, 2016, 02:09 PM)Sir Absol Wrote:
(Feb 7, 2016, 01:35 PM)Tanner Harig Wrote: [align=center] I prefer VGC Double Battles.

You stated that Cradily is your only special attacker, so a couple things come to mind right away. You could easily replace Cradily for Xerneas or even Mewtwo Y.

M-Kang could be replaced by Mewtwo Y if you're in need of another Special Attacker.

Gengar could pose as a major threat to M-Kang, especially if it has Skill Swap (because then gengar is getting parental bond, allowing it to hit twice). I believe Sylveon also gets skill swap but im not too sure, dazzling gleam could be very deadly if so. I feel like Weavile would be a decent sub, if you're using M-Kang mainly for fake out.  Weavile doesnt have a good defense though. Smeargle also wouldnt be bad if you had something that could protect it while it set-up a dark void.

@'Sir Absol' Something to keep in mind is that I refuse to fight with legendaries. I like to show that you can win a battle without using them.
Run a special Aegis with this team. I personally like it to have wide guard in its moves but it limits it takes up a move set sp it's up to you.
I usually run my Aegis
Impish Nature
Stance Change
244 HP, 156 SpD, 100 SpA
- King Shield
- Wide Guard
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball

Protect is such a great move for VGC doubles since the outplay potential it brings so yes replace Aqua Jet or Knock off with it

Maybe put knock off on Gliscor?
Eckley is best grill
Go on and on, grow into a phenomenon
(Feb 7, 2016, 03:09 PM)Tanner Harig Wrote:

Gengar could pose as a major threat to M-Kang, especially if it has Skill Swap (because then gengar is getting parental bond, allowing it to hit twice). I believe Sylveon also gets skill swap but im not too sure, dazzling gleam could be very deadly if so. I feel like Weavile would be a decent sub, if you're using M-Kang mainly for fake out.  Weavile doesnt have a good defense though. Smeargle also wouldnt be bad if you had something that could protect it while it set-up a dark void.

@'Sir Absol' Something to keep in mind is that I refuse to fight with legendaries. I like to show that you can win a battle without using them.

Try using a Sylveon or possibly Togekiss then :P They won't be as good but theyll still do their job
Formerly Sir Absol

(Feb 7, 2016, 03:32 PM)Sir Absol Wrote:

Try using a Sylveon or possibly Togekiss then :P They won't be as good but theyll still do their job

@'Sir Absol' The problem is not knowing which pokemon to replace. Plus adding another fairy type wouldnt be good considering I already have one. Azumarill
(Feb 7, 2016, 03:52 PM)Tanner Harig Wrote:
(Feb 7, 2016, 03:32 PM)Sir Absol Wrote:

@'Sir Absol' The problem is not knowing which pokemon to replace. Plus adding another fairy type wouldnt be good considering I already have one. Azumarill

True. Maybe Alakazam? It's a pretty good special attacker.
Formerly Sir Absol

This team cannot work in this format. Too many bulky legendaries that literally OHKO everything here. Maybe Kangaskhan, Aegislash and Talonflame but Gliscor, Cradily and Azumarill are pretty much not viable in this format.

It's a waste of time and a pretty foolish pursuit to do the "I can win a format that legendaries dominate using non-legendaries". It isn't impossible for a normal Pokemon to pull such a feat but the battleground of VGC 16 literally makes it impossible for such strategy to work

Either learn the hard way or play the Battle Spot option that bans the newly introduced legendary Pokemon

This team can, however, function in VGC 15 but this is an outdated metagame
[Insert signature here]
@Marcusube listen to this guy hes practically a Pokemon competitive master!
Piggybacking off of what Marcusube said, this team as it stands is at a huge disadvantage in this format. That doesn't mean it can't win however. You definitely should make Aegislash a special attacker. I run King's Shield, Flash Cannon, Shadow Ball, and Wide Guard on mine which is pretty standard. I would consider swapping Cradily with another Pokemon because it takes way too much setup to be effective. All it takes it for your opponent to double up on it and it's done, especially since you're not running Protect on it. Speaking of Protect, you don't have any Pokemon running it besides the King's Shield on Aegislash. Protect is a must for most sets in VGC. It allows you to out predict your opponent while keeping your Pokemon safe for one turn, which can make all the difference.

Personally, I would take advantage of the restricted legendaries in the VGC2016 format to boost your team and make it more competitive.