Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Need a bit of help teambuilding.
Hello everyone! I'm a new user interesting in getting into VGC Doubles with a silly little team but I could use some advice and polishing. Basically picked a few favorite mons of mine (Mawile, Goodra, Vaporion, and Heatran), and had made a couple of nice additions to complement them forming a pseudo-immunities team. Hopefully the build could cause some team selection and switch out mindgames.  kappa

[Image: 303Mawile_Mega_Dream.png]

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect
Mega Mawile is intended as a looming physical threat that can clean up a match if unchecked and contributes its immunities to dragon and poison to the team. The speed EVs are meant as a nasty surprise for opponents expecting it to be slower, but I suddenly find myself leaning back towards the tried and true bulk.

[Image: 706.png]

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam/Dragon Tail
- Sludge Bomb
- Overheat
Fairly straightforward. Bulky, specially defensive goodra to take hits and bruise back. If I'm correct 16 speed EVs will let it outspeed most sylveons to hammer them with sludge bomb. Overheat for alpha burst on both opponents pokemon (while being more accurate than fire blast). Meanwhile Sap Sipper brings a rare grass immunity. Can't really decide between Ice Beam or Dragon Tail. Ice beam would provide coverage while dragontail could do decent damage after a sap sipper boost and more importantly provides disruption.

[Image: 134Vaporeon_BW_anime.png]

Vaporeon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Heal Bell
Bulky vaporeon cleric with water immunity and personal taste. Can help grind things out with wish support and keeps status effects off the team.

[Image: Heatran_Pok%25C3%25A9mon_Ranger_3.png]

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- HP Ice/Flash Cannon
Specially Offensive Heatran for a decently damaging special attacker and provides a fire immunity on top of a ton of resistances. Will only be taking HP Ice for coverage if goodra does not take ice beam.

[Image: 640.png]

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Taunt
- Protect
Virizion is kind of a break from the immunities theme, but justified does something similar for dark moves by punishing their use. More importantly Virizon can check Mega Kangaskhan, Landorus-T, and makes Rotom-W less of an issue for the team. Comes with a side of taunt to disrupt supports and smeargle.

[Image: landorus-therian.jpg]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower
Landorus-Therian acts as a great source of offensive pressure on the opponent with its offensive EV spread, as well as threatens Charizard-Y and Thundurus. Between it and Mawile theres no shortage of intimidate effects to make the whole team more survivable against physical powerhouses, especially with fast U-turns into hopefully painless switch-ins. Immunity to Lightning and Ground fits the theme perfectly.
1. Scrap the speed EV's on Mawile unless there is something very specific you want to outspeed. I'll answer that for you. There really isn't anything that Mawile can outspeed, so just go 252 Atk. 252 Hp, and Adamant.

2. Heatran looks very, very good here. I like it.

3. So does Virizion. I love that you have Taunt. Every team should have Taunt.

4. I suppose I should ask what your Goodra wants to be. Does it want to be a hard hitting tank, or a stupdily tanky Pokemon that rides off of supereffective attacks?

5. I've never used Vaporeon, so I really don't know the true ins and outs. If I where you, I'd replace it with Milotic, but that is just me. I don't normally run Heal Bell in doubles because the scariest status is sleep, and with Dark Void Smeargle, Vaporeon will be asleep with the rest of the crew.

6. Here we go with an interesting choice. Landorus is scary, like, mega scary. However, there is a reason that people expect Landorus to be scarfed, and that is because it is his scariest form. Running Adamant and Choice Band is an interesting idea, but with the sheer amount of powerful pokemon at base 100 speed, and the fact that every Pokemon and their mother runs an Ice Type attack makes not going first a very bad situation. I would recommend either running a Choice Scarf, or getting rid of it all together.

Okay, now that you have my rundown of the team, here are a few final thoughts. Trick Room. Your team looks like it could potentially do well in Trick Room. I would recommend Aromatisse, because it can't be Taunted, and it hits dragons hard with Moonblast. Aromatisse also learns Heal Pulse and Heal Bell, so it can support Mawile in Trick Room with Health and can remove status. You can replace Vaporeon with Aromatisse, and maybe replace Landorus with a rock type Pokemon (Rhyperior, Gigalith) that can take out Fire type Pokemon like Charizard.
Yeah, Mawile won't be bothering with speed then. Like I said in the OP I was already having second thoughts.

As for Goodra the former seems better at first glance, what did you have in mind?

Maybe something like a Lum Berry on Vaporeon to counter dark void in conjunction with heal bell?

I'll play around with both items on Landorus-T but you're probably right about the scarf.

Trick room is an interesting idea, but Aromatisse is in a funny situation where on paper I love it but I just can't find anything at all to love about its aesthetics.
I understand not liking Aromatisse's aesthetics. Audino would work well too, but it works like Vaporeon would. It does get Regenerator, which is AMAZING!

I wouldn't run Lum Berry on Vaporeon, although, looking back on it's stats, I do like it. I would say replace Heal Bell or Protect with Ice Beam. Ice Beam is so important against Mega 'mence and Landorus.

I did some calcs with Goodra, and I found that, if you invest 76 EV's and have a Defensive boosting nature, you can survive a Mega Kangaskhan's Double Edge 100% of the time, but, at max damage, it cuts it close. If you invest 124 EV's, you will survive with a minimum of 7% health, and a maximum of about 22%. I would also not run Draco Meteor and Overheat on the same Pokemon (unless it is a Contrary Pokemon, and in that case, you win). I would recommend running this set:

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Bold Nature (or Relaxed in Trick Room)
252 Hp, 124 Def, 128 SpA, 4 SpD
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
Replacing heal bell for ice beam is probably the best choice of the two unless burns are a really high priority concern on Landorus-T and Mega Mawile.

As for the Goodra I can't believe I forgot about sludge wave, especially since it makes for some funny synergy when used while Mawile is on the field. How does the set hold up offensively with the lowered SpA?
just be careful with sludge wave as it does hit your allies if they are not heatran/mawille (its SE on virizion)
Evilsabre
Winning a Pokemon battle is not so much about being a step ahead of your opponent but rather being 2 steps behind them
(Jul 26, 2015, 09:34 AM)evilsabre Wrote: just be careful with sludge wave as it does hit your allies if they are not heatran/mawille (its SE on virizion)

Thats true, although every mon on the team has protection from it, mostly in the form of protect while Landorus can U-Turn into one of the two steel types. Its a touch predictable for the opponent though if they know Goodra is carrying wave instead of bomb, which worries me a little more.
just a few notes off some of your team members:

Mawile:
i recently made an EV spread regarding mawile, however the standard one is 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 S.Def with adamant/ brave nature many people have tried to modify this. i just made a mawile spread on a recent RMT after which it outspeeds a 252 spe jolly salamence behind a tailwind. this is the spread, in case you wish to run a faster mawile:

Mawile @ Mawilite
Level: 50
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 40 SpD / 132 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

Goodra:
Goodra is a great pokemon with a wide movepool that people can take advantage of. you may wanna recheck on overheat as it's accuracy is a bit shaky and also goodra loses any potential left from the offensive side (god forbid if trapped or in 2 on 2 doubles situation. i personally would be running flamethrower. as you are on a 50/50 b/w dragon tail and ice beam, i like the recently popular going dragon tail choice but it isn't much off an option with popular mega gardevoir. ice beam can be a surprise and takes off the usual 4x ice weaknesses off the field

Vaporeon:
Vaporeon in my opinion is a great choice as i like to prefer more obscure pokemons. though i think that it's set isn't modified well enough. i would be running some move known as "icy wind" as a form of speed control over wish, it works great with mid-tier like goodra and heatran specially. heal bell is an awesome thing as it is an unexpected move and can work whenever you like, as for ice beam goodra packs that up. *btw a nice way of countering rain Wink *

Heatran:
nothing much, i completely like this mon, as for flash cannon/ HP ice. your team carries coverage for both, flash cannon won't hit anything hard other than t-tar for stab but earth power does it too (mawile packs iron head OHKO'ing any faries wihout a question), HP ice can be good, have you considered other moves in it's movepool? like: support moves W-o-W, taunts too Wink, substitute? or my favorites surprise snatchers like: rock slide, overheat too.

Virizion and lando can't be questioned though they are great.

some overall suggestion:
. i consider running tailwind to you, as you are running one slow and 3 mid-tier speed mons, lando-t without a scarf can't outspeed the base 100's.
. you need a better way of countering off the threat of trick room modes, maybe your on but that would change the whole team.

And *Important*: you are making a waste of EV's on pokemons like goodra with 16 speed EV's and vaporeon with 8 sp.atk EV's i need you to look into that stuff online.
Although i think that playstyle is an important part that often clashes b/w RMT members, hoped as always these suggestions or at least some of them worked out for you. Bye!
Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

This is a Mawile from top 8 in the European regional's used by Ninjasyao. If you're not using trick room, this is my favorite Mawile set. A lot of people will try to run low attack and more bulky mawiles, but I think high attack works best in this format. Just my opinion though. The speed investment makes it easy for you to go first against opposing mawiles, azumarills, and more. Making it easy to get unexpected KO's/not have to worry about dumb speed ties/small speed creeps from slower mons.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 164 Def / 188 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb

Unless I'm really stupid; I might be that is; I'm not sure how you got overheat on your goodra? I can't find that it learns it anywhere. Anywho, here is a basic spread for damage and bulk. You don't have to use it honestly. Yours basically does the same thing really.

Vaporeon @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 140 HP / 116 Def / 250 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Protect

A very old Vaporeon set, but the best in my opinion. I get what you want to do with wish/heal bell; but sadly i don't see it coming through in vgc. Especially with thundurus being so rampant; its kinda hard to use heal bell to get away from the most common status effect (t-wave) when the same thing thats dropping t-waves can hit you supper effectively (thundurus) I like offensive bulky vaporeon. Muddy water is disgusting but funny, hp grass for obvious reasons, and ice beam is one of the best moves in the game imo because of landy, thundy, salamence, etc.

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

I'm a big believer of 2 things: 1. Fast heatran is best heatran. 2. Flamethrower/Heatwave 80% of the time. Heatwave is weaker, and can miss. Sure you can hit 2 pokemon at once, but most good teams pack wide guard. Making heatran's stab fire move kinda useless. Not to mention things like Aegislash which are so common pack wide guard. Sure, you can predict the wide guard and earth power it. But it won't do as much as flame thrower + weakness policy would be triggered and it'd be easy for your opponent to double down on heatran. It also doesn't help that you have choice band landorus, meaning 2 of it's moves are ALSO blocked by wide guard. Plus if you take my vaporeon advice, muddy water is also blocked by wide guard. TLDR; Your team could be trumped by an unexpected wide guard user.

Safety goggles is for a reason: To beat amoongus. You don't really have anything on your team that beats amoongus. Goodra is a very good hard counter to it, but goodra is also pretty easy to take out within the current meta. Sylveon, M-Salamence, M-Gardevoir, etc. Also there's the idea of what if you can't bring goodra due to team match up. An Amoognus could spore/pop off sludge bombs on your virizion and have fun. Especially under TR. Maybe I just hate Amoongus, but there's been times where I'd get wide guarded on my heat wave and my heatran gets spored by amoongus. I dunno, I love fast flame thrower safety goggles tran. I rarely wish I had heatwave, flamethrower racks up a big amount of KO's/hits 2HKO's that heat wave can't.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Protect

Woop woop, Virizion is dope.

EVs: 164 HP / 60 Atk / 4 Def / 28 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Earthquake

My only use of Bandorus is under a trick room team, and I loved it. I used a brave nature with no speed ev's and I just got to toss it all into bulk and it was so much fun living hydro pumps/ice beams sometimes. This spread was used by Majorbowman in the Missouri regionals. Here's what they said:

"The EV spread is adapted from a bulky Choice Scarf set that Braverius had previously posted on his blog. Andykins actually made the adjusted Band spread and gave it to me after using it himself to some good success. The HP and Special Defense ensure that Landorus survives Hidden Power Ice from neutral nature Zapdos and Thundurus, while the HP alone allows Landorus to survive +1 Sucker Punch from Life Orb Bisharp. Max Speed was used to outrun neutral nature base 101’s and below, including Kangaskhan, Charizard, and Thundurus-Therian. The remaining EVs were dumped into attack, but still allow Landorus to OHKO Kangaskhan, Terrakion, and Heatran with one (or both) of Earthquake or Superpower. 252 HP / 4 Defense Mega Mawile has a 75% chance to be OHKOd by Earthquake even with the spread damage reduction. The combination of bulk, speed, and power that Jolly Choice Band Landorus-Therian brought to the team was invaluable."

weeeee hope I helped.
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
Sorry I was away, had to sleep for awhile. Anyway, back to team stuff.

(Jul 26, 2015, 11:59 AM)Pokeventurer Wrote: just a few notes off some of your team members:

Mawile:
i recently made an EV spread regarding mawile, however the standard one is 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 S.Def with adamant/ brave nature many people have tried to modify this. i just made a mawile spread on a recent RMT after which it outspeeds a 252 spe jolly salamence behind a tailwind. this is the spread, in case you wish to run a faster mawile:

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 40 SpD / 132 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

Goodra:
Goodra is a great pokemon with a wide movepool that people can take advantage of. you may wanna recheck on overheat as it's accuracy is a bit shaky and also goodra loses any potential left from the offensive side (god forbid if trapped or in 2 on 2 doubles situation. i personally would be running flamethrower. as you are on a 50/50 b/w dragon tail and ice beam, i like the recently popular going dragon tail choice but it isn't much off an option with popular mega gardevoir. ice beam can be a surprise and takes off the usual 4x ice weaknesses off the field

Vaporeon:
Vaporeon in my opinion is a great choice as i like to prefer more obscure pokemons. though i think that it's set isn't modified well enough. i would be running some move known as "icy wind" as a form of speed control over wish, it works great with mid-tier like goodra and heatran specially. heal bell is an awesome thing as it is an unexpected move and can work whenever you like, as for ice beam goodra packs that up. *btw a nice way of countering rain Wink *

Heatran:
nothing much, i completely like this mon, as for flash cannon/ HP ice. your team carries coverage for both, flash cannon won't hit anything hard other than t-tar for stab but earth power does it too (mawile packs iron head OHKO'ing any faries wihout a question), HP ice can be good, have you considered other moves in it's movepool? like: support moves W-o-W, taunts too Wink, substitute? or my favorites surprise snatchers like: rock slide, overheat too.

Virizion and lando can't be questioned though they are great.

some overall suggestion:
. i consider running tailwind to you, as you are running one slow and 3 mid-tier speed mons, lando-t without a scarf can't outspeed the base 100's.
. you need a better way of countering off the threat of trick room modes, maybe your on but that would change the whole team.

And *Important*: you are making a waste of EV's on pokemons like goodra with 16 speed EV's and vaporeon with 8 sp.atk EV's i need you to look into that stuff online.
Although i think that playstyle is an important part that often clashes b/w RMT members, hoped as always these suggestions or at least some of them worked out for you. Bye!

Mawile:
Starting off, this is a neat Mawile set. But what could I bring in for the tailwind to outspeed Mega Mance, and more importantly what would need to be cut to make room?

Goodra:
As for goodra my switch to ice beam and flamethrower is pretty much confirmed.

Vaporeon:
Thanks, glad you like the idea. :D Anyway I had forgotten about icy wind, definitely need to consider it.

Heatran:
Well, I had considered substitute but that seems a bit difficult to pull off properly. Other than that I was a pretty big fan of torment tran.

Overall Suggestions:
Well, again getting tailwind in would require some reconfiguring of the mon choices. Suggestions on that would be appreciated for consideration. Shy
No idea what to do about trick room beyond treating it similarly to how I would a tradition team that outspeeds me.
On the topic of EVs. Goodra's 16 speed EVS will let it outspeed adamant azumarill, which would otherwise cause it to have a very bad day. Vaporeon's extra SpA EVs are a result of hitting what is supposedly optimal HP EVs and having a little extra for a bit more punch.

(Jul 26, 2015, 12:24 PM)Rogue Wrote: Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

This is a Mawile from top 8 in the European regional's used by Ninjasyao. If you're not using trick room, this is my favorite Mawile set. A lot of people will try to run low attack and more bulky mawiles, but I think high attack works best in this format. Just my opinion though. The speed investment makes it easy for you to go first against opposing mawiles, azumarills, and more. Making it easy to get unexpected KO's/not have to worry about dumb speed ties/small speed creeps from slower mons.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 164 Def / 188 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb

Unless I'm really stupid; I might be that is; I'm not sure how you got overheat on your goodra? I can't find that it learns it anywhere. Anywho, here is a basic spread for damage and bulk. You don't have to use it honestly. Yours basically does the same thing really.

Vaporeon @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 140 HP / 116 Def / 250 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Protect

A very old Vaporeon set, but the best in my opinion. I get what you want to do with wish/heal bell; but sadly i don't see it coming through in vgc. Especially with thundurus being so rampant; its kinda hard to use heal bell to get away from the most common status effect (t-wave) when the same thing thats dropping t-waves can hit you supper effectively (thundurus) I like offensive bulky vaporeon. Muddy water is disgusting but funny, hp grass for obvious reasons, and ice beam is one of the best moves in the game imo because of landy, thundy, salamence, etc.

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

I'm a big believer of 2 things: 1. Fast heatran is best heatran. 2. Flamethrower/Heatwave 80% of the time. Heatwave is weaker, and can miss. Sure you can hit 2 pokemon at once, but most good teams pack wide guard. Making heatran's stab fire move kinda useless. Not to mention things like Aegislash which are so common pack wide guard. Sure, you can predict the wide guard and earth power it. But it won't do as much as flame thrower + weakness policy would be triggered and it'd be easy for your opponent to double down on heatran. It also doesn't help that you have choice band landorus, meaning 2 of it's moves are ALSO blocked by wide guard. Plus if you take my vaporeon advice, muddy water is also blocked by wide guard. TLDR; Your team could be trumped by an unexpected wide guard user.

Safety goggles is for a reason: To beat amoongus. You don't really have anything on your team that beats amoongus. Goodra is a very good hard counter to it, but goodra is also pretty easy to take out within the current meta. Sylveon, M-Salamence, M-Gardevoir, etc. Also there's the idea of what if you can't bring goodra due to team match up. An Amoognus could spore/pop off sludge bombs on your virizion and have fun. Especially under TR. Maybe I just hate Amoongus, but there's been times where I'd get wide guarded on my heat wave and my heatran gets spored by amoongus. I dunno, I love fast flame thrower safety goggles tran. I rarely wish I had heatwave, flamethrower racks up a big amount of KO's/hits 2HKO's that heat wave can't.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Protect

Woop woop, Virizion is dope.

EVs: 164 HP / 60 Atk / 4 Def / 28 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Earthquake

My only use of Bandorus is under a trick room team, and I loved it. I used a brave nature with no speed ev's and I just got to toss it all into bulk and it was so much fun living hydro pumps/ice beams sometimes. This spread was used by Majorbowman in the Missouri regionals. Here's what they said:

"The EV spread is adapted from a bulky Choice Scarf set that Braverius had previously posted on his blog. Andykins actually made the adjusted Band spread and gave it to me after using it himself to some good success. The HP and Special Defense ensure that Landorus survives Hidden Power Ice from neutral nature Zapdos and Thundurus, while the HP alone allows Landorus to survive +1 Sucker Punch from Life Orb Bisharp. Max Speed was used to outrun neutral nature base 101’s and below, including Kangaskhan, Charizard, and Thundurus-Therian. The remaining EVs were dumped into attack, but still allow Landorus to OHKO Kangaskhan, Terrakion, and Heatran with one (or both) of Earthquake or Superpower. 252 HP / 4 Defense Mega Mawile has a 75% chance to be OHKOd by Earthquake even with the spread damage reduction. The combination of bulk, speed, and power that Jolly Choice Band Landorus-Therian brought to the team was invaluable."

weeeee hope I helped.

And another cool Mawile set. I feel like this one most represents what I am going for without having to redo team comp to include tailwind, thanks! Definitely a keeper in my book.

As for goodra, first of all you've pointed out a prime example of why I should never be allowed to work on teams while sleep deprived. Goodra cannot learn overheat and I mixed that up with heatran. Silly me. I like the set, although it looks like it has some key differences. I am a little concerned about the lowered HP, although it does have more defensive EVs to help with physical attackers but is that worth it over more HP? Secondly what do the extra speed EVs let it do, just curious.

Not a huge fan of sacrificing any bulk on vaporeon, besides that I'll favor scald over muddy water for better accuracy and as a possible source of burn the team otherwise lacks.

You had a lot so say about heatran so lets get started lol So flamethrower > heatwave. I find myself agreeing with you on this. So clearly I should take flamethrower or go big or go home and pack overheat here kappa Faster heatran seems good but this set loses HP while losing the shuca berry, little concerned it'll just get knocked out if an EQ so much as glances at it. Safety goggles is a neat choice here since you're definately right about amoongus which could indeed run rampant if goodra is unavailable. I'll take this under careful consideration when I start putting together the teams improved incarnation.

Lastly I feel myself falling in love with Majorbowman's Lando-T set.

And yes, you've most certainly helped! Danke schoen.