Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] The Dark Algae - Smogon UU Dragalge Team
What is up everybody! I haven't posted a RMT in a long while now have I. Now, less focus on me and more on the team. For about 1 week now, I've been longing to use Specs Dragalge on a UU team. The reason for this is because it has so much raw power and wall breaking ability which really pressures the opponent when making switches. Of course, the greatest hindrance with Dragalge is its abysmal speed tier. Upon noting this,  I had to develop a core around Dragalge that can offensively and defensively support it so it can have opportunities to drop some dracos and all that jazz.

THE TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

[Image: dragalge.png] [Image: tentacruel.png]
Dragalge has issues switching in and switching out due to entry hazards. Because of this, I knew immediately that I needed a spinner. Not only this, I figured as much that since Dragalge has access to Venoshock, I could incorporate my own entry hazard, being toxic spikes, to this team. Tentacruel seemed like the perfect fit here.

[Image: dragalge.png] [Image: tentacruel.png] [Image: honchkrow.png] [Image: florges.png]
I then had to look at what Dragalge is weak to. It has weaknesses to Psychic, Ground, Dragon and Ice. Tentacruel stacks with the Psychic and Ground weakness but it cancelled out my Ice weakness. At that point I realized I needed a Pokemon that was immune to both Psychic and Ground. At first I considered Mandibuzz but then the problem was that it didn't provide as much offensive pressure as I'd hope for it to so I went with Honchkrow instead. Of course I still had an outstanding Dragon weakness. Seeing as how all the Dragons barring Dragalge can't do much of anything to a Fairy type, I knew that it would of been a perfect fit. I also needed a cleric. Florges this job well

[Image: dragalge.png] [Image: tentacruel.png] [Image: honchkrow.png] [Image: florges.png] [Image: salamence.png]

My team at this point felt lacking in terms of having any real means of defense. All the mons I've chosen so far seemed to play mainly either a offensive or supportive role. With this in mind, I knew I needed a physically defensive wall. I chose Salamence because I also needed a means of phasing out opponents when they try to set up. Also Salamence walls out Infernape and Mienshao which can deal pretty huge chunks of damage to my team.

[Image: dragalge.png] [Image: tentacruel.png] [Image: honchkrow.png] [Image: florges.png] [Image: salamence.png] [Image: mienshao.png]

Lastly, I needed a pivot and fighting coverage. Mienshao does this the best seeing how it has Regenerator and a good movepool that doesn't get walled out by much completely.

THE TEAM

Disclaimer: All the reasoning behind EV spreads, item choices, basically the build of each Pokemon and the analysis behind it is on Smogon. Not posting it because it'd be pretty irrelevant

[Image: dragalge.gif]

Kelp Shake (Dragalge) @ Choice Specs  
Ability: Adaptability  
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Draco Meteor  
- Venoshock  
- Sludge Wave  
- Focus Blast  

[Image: honchkrow.gif]

Bawling (Honchkrow) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Moxie  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Pursuit  
- Sucker Punch  
- Brave Bird  
- Superpower  

[Image: tentacruel.gif]

Kalamari (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge  
Ability: Liquid Ooze  
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe  
Bold Nature  
- Toxic Spikes  
- Rapid Spin  
- Scald  
- Sludge Bomb  

[Image: florges-blue.gif]

Bouquet (Florges) (F) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Flower Veil  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Aromatherapy  
- Moonblast  
- Wish  
- Protect  

[Image: salamence.gif]

Tobbae (Salamence) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe  
Impish Nature  
- Roost  
- Earthquake  
- Dragon Tail  
- Fire Blast  

[Image: mienshao.gif]

Sock Hands (Mienshao) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Regenerator  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- U-turn  
- High Jump Kick  
- Knock Off  
- Stone Edge  

CONCLUSION AND BATTLE VIDEOS

I haven't played much with this team and to be honest, I made this RMT the exact day I finished it which explains why my write-up didn't have as much content as you may have expected. I still felt the need to share this team because I haven't lost a match with it yet (at the time I posted this) plus I wanna get the community interested in playing Smogon alongside the VGC format. Thanks again for reading guys and catch you in the next one  Cool

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-278866422
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-278864239
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-278862986
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-278862441
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-278861232
[Insert signature here]
(Oct 7, 2015, 01:59 AM)naitre Wrote: Dragalge, Honchkrow, and Mienshao are some of my UU favorites. Fantastic work, Marc. Smile It looks incredibly solid and I might just have to steal it and try it out since I haven't run Florges since XY.

Swiper no swiping kappaHD

Thanks for the rating Naitre :D
[Insert signature here]