Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] VGC Trick Room advice needed
(Dec 9, 2016, 11:06 AM)ShinyMisty Wrote:
(Dec 8, 2016, 09:32 PM)Marcusube Wrote: I hate to sound selfish or offensive but I'd really appreciate if you didn't use fine print as it makes your post harder to read. I apologize in advance if any comments come across as offensive if they ever so happen to be. There is an importable of the fixed team at the bottom of this post in case you really don't have the time to read the post and want to get in as much Showdown as possible (still read it though)

You have a solid core of Oranguru / Marowak-A / Hariyama going on here. Together, these three have near perfect offensive coverage and defensive synergy. Less can be said about the remainder of the team because it looks like you slapped a Dragon+Steel+Fairy core together just to fill the remaining slots.

Shiinotic isn't as viable as the current mons in this metagame from my experience. With Marowak-A, Celesteela and Tapu Lele running amok alongside Torkoal, Nihilego and Arcanine, it won't be impacting a lot of games as it is easy to OHKO. It also struggles against Rain teams despite being a Grass type.

Celesteela is practically dead weight on your team as it doesn't perform well defensively and offensively, it is very mediocre. Without reliable recovery, it falls prey to Tapu Koko, Marowak-A and pretty much every Electric, Fighting and Fire type in the metagame and there are a lot. Sure Celesteela is S rank in VGC standings but not because it's good on it's own means that it will fit any team.

Drampa does do well on this team, however, supporting a Choice Specs set is very hard in this metagame due to the presence of Marowak-A, Tapu Lele and Celesteela which generally force Drampa to switch out to reset its move. Maybe Life Orb would be a better item.

With all that said, here are my suggestions

Oranguru @ Mental Herb
Ability: Telepathy
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 4 Spe
- Trick Room
- Instruct
- Psychic
- Protect

Pretty much the same as the Oranguru you had but with a few tweaks. Firstly, I changed the nature from Bold to Calm to capitalize more on Oranguru's dominant SpDef stat. With the added SpDef Oranguru can do this:

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Oranguru in Electric Terrain: 87-105 (44.1 - 53.2%) -- 26.6% chance to 2HKO

Pretty amazing benchmark here as Tapu Koko hits very hard with Thunderbolt. This EV spread achieves a better effect than 252 HP/ 252 SpDef / 4 Def Bold as it allows Oranguru to take more special hits as 2HKOs or near 3HKOs which is essential for a Trick Room setter

68 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Oranguru: 79-94 (40.1 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Arbitrary calculation but I just want to show it off either way. Oranguru will not be living any Life Orb boosted super effective hit from any physical attacker but it does have a chance to live Marowak-A's Flare Blitz

I'll explain the Speed IVs later

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 36 Def / 68 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 156 HP / 44 SpD Marowak-Alola in Psychic Terrain: 130-154 (83.8 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 148+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 174-206 (120 - 142%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Golisopod Liquidation vs. 236 HP / 36 Def Marowak-Alola: 138-164 (83.6 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 236 HP / 68 SpD Marowak-Alola: 138-163 (83.6 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

152 Attack EVs still allow Marowak to OHKO Celesteela as well as everything else it usually would. There is no reason to go 252 as Marowak is fully capable of dealing the damage it needs to with 152 plus using less EVs in one stat allows you to distribute EVs more defensively

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Def / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 22 Spe
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 28 HP / 176 Def Hariyama: 193-228 (86.5 - 102.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 28 HP / 52 SpD Hariyama: 200-236 (89.6 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 28 HP / 52 SpD Hariyama: 110-133 (49.3 - 59.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

The calculations are my benchmarks for this set. Yes, these attacks have a chance to OHKO, however, very low chances plus 252 HP EVs is less effective. 28 HP EVs lets Hariyama take minimum damage from burn recoil and Sand/Hail damage

I put Poison Jab on this specifically to hit the Tapus, however, Stone Edge is an option if hitting Bug and Flying types is more important to you

The Speed IVs go as followed
  • Marowak is IVd to underspeed opposing non-Trick Room Marowak by one point as well as outspeed 63 and under Pokemon. This is key in case you don't want to set up Trick Room due to slower Pokemon such as Drampa and Torkoal being on the field
    • Oranguru is IVd to outspeed Hariyama and Marowak under Trick Room so Instruct won't fail
      • Hariyama's speed IV allow it to outspeed Pokemon at 65 by one point such as Exeggutor-A, Marowak-A, Golem-A etc. This is key for when these Pokemon lead to stop Trick Room set ups

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide

Tapu Bulu performs 2 roles.

• It removes opposing terrain:

Tapu Fini stops Hariyama's Flame Orb, Tapu Lele stops Fake Out and can make Psychic hit very hard allowing it to OHKO most of your mons and Tapu Koko makes Electric moves hit ridiculously hard

• It swats everything that doesn't resist Wood Hammer and/or outspeeds it

Very critical against Rain and Sand teams (yes, weather discourages Trick Room, primarily Rain this year due to Araquanid and Pelipper being so busted), very critical against bulky Water types like Tapu Fini and Milotic who shrug off damage from the first three Pokemon and either KO or wear them down with easy and very critical against everything else. Seriously, Life Orb Wood Hammer OHKOs a lot and Grass/Fairy makes Tapu Bulu resistant to a lot of common typings

Weavile @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Throat Chop
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Fake Out

Dark STAB and Ice STAB is very necessary on this team, so is speed. Weavile does both plus its priority makes dealing with Pheromosa a bit easier. Darkinium Z is specifically for Oranguru as it escapes the KO from Throat Chop and not every game you want Trick Room to be up

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 40 SpA / 60 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Trick Room

For an all out Trick Room team, you need a secondary setter. Porygon2 is the best one as it is very bulky, gets access to Download which can make it hit like a train and it has a wide movepool. Also it gets access to Recover which allows it to stay around longer and it functions very well in and out of Trick Room. Very solid Pokemon indeed.

That's about as much as I can suggest @ShinyMisty

IMPORTABLE (in case you can't bother reading all of this and just want me to fix your team):

Oranguru @ Mental Herb
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 4 Spe
- Trick Room
- Instruct
- Psychic
- Protect

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 36 Def / 68 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Def / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 22 Spe
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide

Weavile @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Throat Chop
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Fake Out

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 40 SpA / 60 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Trick Room

Sorry about the text. I am still trying to get use to things around here. ^^; You didn't sound selfish, just warning me of the difficulties the text could cause. Thank-you for that.

AND thank-you for the advice. I read through it and you make very valid points.
I have a tournement coming up tomorrow, so I'll have to do make due with what I am able to get ready from your suggestions. 

Although, I want to ask why make Tapu Bulu Jolly if he is meant to be in Trick Room? For the same reason you suggested Wevile, I presume? It makes sense, I just wanted to make sure.

Yep, same reason
[Insert signature here]