Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] VGC2017 Team help
Hello, been awhile since posting on here, been working on alot of stuff (SRing, breeding new SM pokemon, job, school, etc) throughout this i was working on a vgc17 team, i tested it in a local tournament and it performed decently, however this was at the beginning of the format, not sure what has changed, if any of these are now obsolite, as i was going off of little to no information, so any tweaks or suggestions would be great! 

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb  
Ability: Psychic Surge  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Moonblast  
- Protect  
- Psychic  
- Energy Ball  
Ive been working on this pokemon awhile, switching between specs and orb, and trying different moves to see what would work decent, or perform semi well. Usualy it manages to get a few things knocked out, previously having thunderbolt i switched it for energy ball after seeing a lot of people playing gastrodon for its storm drain ability. Shes ment to be the real damage dealer of my team id say.

Pheromosa @ Choice Band  
Ability: Beast Boost  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe  
Hasty Nature  
- High Jump Kick  
- U-turn  
- Poison Jab  
- Ice Beam  
Shes fast, but one hit and shes dead. Sums up pheromosa right, but i plan to use this as a Tapu Killer, or something able to kill something powerful off the bat, or switch in to for a powerful revenge kill. I tried with life orb first, which was really nice, but i was wondering about running it with band instead with seeing alot of bulky fini and porygon2 being popular, to make sure they die before they can kill her.

Mimikyu @ Lum Berry  
Ability: Disguise  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Swords Dance  
- Shadow Sneak  
- Wood Hammer  
- Play Rough  
This was something i was playing around with, and it turned out to be quite helpful, the free swords dance and wood hammer knocked out a lot of water pokemon threats, and shadow sneak destroyed a lot of ghost type threats too. However i am having second thoughts on its item, the lum berry is nice but i dont see it being used often.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club  
Ability: Lightning Rod  
Adamant Nature  
- Flare Blitz  
- Bonemerang  
- Protect  
- Shadow Bone  
This is kind of unconventional, putting speed on my marowak, this was mostly to outspeed celesteela and other marowak when trickroom is inactive, probably not my best call. Its attack is great however, able to one shot a bulky celesteela in one hit (this was the result at the tournament).

Bewear @ Fightinium Z  
Ability: Fluffy  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Double-Edge  
- Earthquake  
- Rock Slide  
- Superpower  
This uhh...i dont really know, i didnt know what to put here, so i decided to try a bewear attacker. This one didnt really perform well at all...Fightium helped it alot, but it didnt really do too much damage wise.

Celesteela @ Leftovers  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA  
Lax Nature  
- Flamethrower  
- Heavy Slam  
- Leech Seed  
- Protect  
I needed some kind of bulk, and a bit more sp. coverage, so i put flamethrower on it as a decent sp move to use, and also to counter the celesteela mirror. It also works vs Bulu, as having both heavy slam and flamethrower makes it dangerous if opponent is using a trickroom team.

So that is the team i tried to make together, i feel like it has its strengths, and weaknesses, but i feel like it could use a lot of improvement, just not quite sure where. So any and all help or suggestions are appreciated!
You have an alright start, but some things can be optimized, some not used altogether. I'd say give the following a try:

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Psychium Z is really the best item for Tapu Lele. Shattered Psyche under Psychic Terrain is just massive damage and is usually enough to OHKO just about any threat. Moonblast for STAB and it's gonna hurt Garchomp pretty bad and Energy Ball because.

Pheromosa @ Choice Band
Lonely Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam

I've never used Pheromosa, but you wanted it so I left it, however, at 151 base speed (highest base speed in VGC17) there's not really a reason to go for speed over damage with your nature so try and get a Lonely one.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Wood Hammer
- Play Rough

Shadow Claw does more damage than Shadow Sneak and with Ghostium Z you OHKO Tapu Lele 100%. Jolly Mimikyu outspeeds non-scarfed Timid Lele by 1 point as well.

EVs: 116 HP / 140 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

I personally used this exact Marowak for the longest time. 140 Att with Thick Club OHKOs Celesteela 100% of the time. Bonemerang isn't the greatest move as it doesn't typically OHKO anything so for the third moveslot I like to run Will-O-Wisp.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect
- Taunt

When in doubt, put in Tapu Koko. This particular set will OHKO the standard Z Crystal Garchomp with HP Ice, as well as Celesteela with Thunderbolt. Taunt for Eevee/TR disruption.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect

This is another one I just sorta guessed at. Celesteela is already slow so being slower doesn't hurt. Flamethrower will OHKO Kartana and Leech Seed and Protect will allow you to be really annoying and put that HP to use.

Feel free to totally disregard any or all of this if you'd like. This is just what I would do to your team. I haven't done any Showdown testing with this though so I might even change some things like get rid of Mimikyu, add Kartana, get rid of Marowak, add Arcanine.

Team in spoiler to easily copy and paste into Showdown.

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Pheromosa @ Choice Band
Lonely Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Wood Hammer
- Play Rough

EVs: 116 HP / 140 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect
- Taunt

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect
Just a fossil from the days of olde.
Sword and Shield Trades
Hmm yeah the Z crystal lele seems really nice! I might switch out Mimikyu for Arcanine for the Intimidate use, and yeah i have noticed the issues with bonemerang, I think i will try to breed a few growlithe and see what i can do with it! Kartana sadly isnt in my version, so finding one for VGC may be a bit tough(main reason why i went with phero). Koko is interesting, i forgot to SR mine but my friend may have one i can possibly use for testing. Thank you for the input, i think i may go breed a few growlithe now!
(Feb 22, 2017, 12:07 PM)Ryouyashi Wrote: Hmm yeah the Z crystal lele seems really nice! I might switch out Mimikyu for Arcanine for the Intimidate use, and yeah i have noticed the issues with bonemerang, I think i will try to breed a few growlithe and see what i can do with it! Kartana sadly isnt in my version, so finding one for VGC may be a bit tough(main reason why i went with phero). Koko is interesting, i forgot to SR mine but my friend may have one i can possibly use for testing. Thank you for the input, i think i may go breed a few growlithe now!
Let me know how the Arcanine works out! I'd probably go physical support Arcanine myself.
Sword and Shield Trades
(Feb 22, 2017, 12:11 PM)Hojunhu Wrote:
(Feb 22, 2017, 12:07 PM)Ryouyashi Wrote: Hmm yeah the Z crystal lele seems really nice! I might switch out Mimikyu for Arcanine for the Intimidate use, and yeah i have noticed the issues with bonemerang, I think i will try to breed a few growlithe and see what i can do with it! Kartana sadly isnt in my version, so finding one for VGC may be a bit tough(main reason why i went with phero). Koko is interesting, i forgot to SR mine but my friend may have one i can possibly use for testing. Thank you for the input, i think i may go breed a few growlithe now!
Let me know how the Arcanine works out! I'd probably go physical support Arcanine myself.
It seems to be doing very well! I replaced koko at first to keep Marowak in for lightningrod if need be, im shocked at how bulky this arcanine gets! The one i was testing with is this setup:

Arcanine @ Aguav Berry  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Flare Blitz  
- Snarl  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Protect
@Ryouyashi Another Arcanine to try out is:

Arcanine @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp/Roar
- Protect

Just be careful with running two fire types with minimal coverage against water types.
Sword and Shield Trades
(Feb 22, 2017, 02:39 PM)Hojunhu Wrote: @Ryouyashi Another Arcanine to try out is:

Arcanine @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp/Roar
- Protect

Just be careful with running two fire types with minimal coverage against water types.

Ill give it a try, thanks! yeah, its risky but if i take arcanine i usually leave marowak benched, If i need to ill switch out something for more grass coverage.