Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] X-Don VGC16
EDIT: I changed the build on Groudon, a move on Talonflame, and a move on Thundurus. The original post is now updated with those changes.

Hello everyone, so I've been working on this team for about a week now and this has by far been my most successful VGC '16 team. Granted, I haven't been able to play test it for a lot of games, but from the 10-15 games I have played, it's won around 75-80% of the time. I wanted to build a team around the Xerneas/Groudon core. I had been using a variation of @Black117's RayOgre team and while I had success with it, I wanted to put together my own team. The team, just like any other, has it's own challenges. I would like to minimize those though so if you have any suggestions, let me know!

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

This is the gold standard when it comes to a VGC '16 Xerneas set. I opted for a Modest nature because I have Tailwind support from Talonflame. The goal is to get off a Geomancy and then launch off Fairy Aura + Geomancy boosted Dazzling Gleams for spread damage or devastating Moonblasts when my opponent has a Wide Guard user on the field. This set could benefit adding HP Ground for Ferrothorn or Mawile, but that's why I have Groudon, and to a lesser extent, Talonflame.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Protect

I contemplated numerous sets before settling on this one. I was previously using a physical attack build, but opted for the special attack version after getting beaten by it. Drought and STAB boosted Eruption deals massive damage and I usually bring Groudon in after Tailwind is set up so he can launch at least one off with full health. Flamethrower is used to escape Wide Guard or when Groudon's health is low. Earth Power deals with opposing Groudon.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

To me, Kangaskhan is the only Mega Evolution that makes sense for this team. Fake Out allows Xerneas to set up Geomancy. Sucker Punch gets surprise KOs on Pokémon that are weakened. Low Kick is for opposing Kangaskhan and to do significant damage to Ferrothorn. Double-Edge is the main STAB move. Incredibly vanilla Kangaskhan set, but it's tried and true.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

So because Ferrothorn threatens my team, I needed another way to take care of it in case Groudon goes down or the weather isn't in my favor. Xerneas, Thundurus, and my own Ferrothorn can't really deal with opposing Ferrothorn. Kangaskhan can Low Kick it, but it doesn't cause a KO and she damages herself heavily die to Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet. Enter Talonflame. Talonflame fills a couple roles on this team. Priority Tailwind is important to gain a speed advantage that allows my Groudon to take out opposing Groudon, Flare Blitz takes care of Ferrothorn, and Brave Bird is great to either clean up or cause enough damage to get spread KOs from Precipice Blades or Dazzling Gleam. I was originally using a disruption Infernape in this slot and it was working incredibly well, but I needed the Tailwind support.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 132 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferrothorn, to me, is the MVP of the season so far. It deals with Kyogre and Xerneas. It has the offensive power to apply pressure and the defensive capabilities to stay on the field while wearing down opposing walls.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 236 HP / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger

I needed a Taunt user that could offer speed control so Thundurus was the best option. I'm not going to go into detail here because everyone has seen Thundurus builds.
Disgustingly flavour of the month. Everything I see here makes me want to throw up. I see it every game and I hate playing against it. 10/10
it's 2022 and we livin
(Feb 19, 2016, 10:56 AM)Red Lake Wrote: Disgustingly flavour of the month. Everything I see here makes me want to throw up. I see it every game and I hate playing against it. 10/10

Thank you, thank you.
This team is pretty much a-ok for going out into the trenches; nice to hear you're doing well with it. My only suggestion is replacig talonflame with Crobat, as he can do the same things talonflame can do with more bulk, ; even hitting ferrothorn with super fang is a decent trade in my opinion. I can trade you a 5iv Zubat with brave bird if you'd like to try it out :D
X-Don give it to ya, he gonna give it to ya.

I'll show myself out...
it's 2022 and we livin
(Feb 19, 2016, 02:09 PM)El Miguel VGC Wrote: This team is pretty much a-ok for going out into the trenches; nice to hear you're doing well with it. My only suggestion is replacig talonflame with Crobat, as he can do the same things talonflame can do with more bulk, ; even hitting ferrothorn with super fang is a decent trade in my opinion. I can trade you a 5iv Zubat with brave bird if you'd like to try it out :D

That's a great idea! The extra bulk would be nice. If you have a Zubat to spare, I'd appreciate it!

(Feb 19, 2016, 03:00 PM)Red Lake Wrote: X-Don give it to ya, he gonna give it to ya.

I'll show myself out...

Haha, I laughed pretty hard at this. Smile
Honestly i would stick with Talonflame since it's an excellent partner for Xerneas (and in general it offers a guaranteed Tailwind for your team). The main reason being priority LO Brave Bird for some damage on opposing boosted Xerneas (we are still talking about a 2HKO on a standard 4HP Xerneas) or to finish off anything you put in KO range with your boosted Dazzling Gleam / Moonblast, which is more important than people think; then you have priority Tailwind to match any opposing Tailwind in the blink of an eye; another great move on Talonflame is Quick Guard, since M-Ray Extreme Speed and Scizor Bullet Punch are really strong, you have a mean to stop those attacks (actually, you make Scizor useless in front of your Xerneas), not to talk about opposing Talonflame Brave Bird targeting your Xerneas, which you can stop. Thanks to Quick Guard you also completely shut down Prankster TWave, Quash, Encore and many other things (Whimsicott, Thundy and Liepard). Then you also have Flare Blitz which is another option to OHKO opposing Ferrothorn, when you can't switch in your P-Don safely or when it's gone.

PS: try Focus Sash on Thundurus :D
Why does your ferrothorn have 0 IV in speed, I think it's safe to give it 31IV? Your kang should be inner focus so you have the option to not mega when you're sure your opponent will fake out for those pesky scarfed smeargles. I use crobat in my own team, as it doesn't have 4x weakness to rock types, with almost the same use with talonflame. You might argue with talonflame having a priority bravebird, but only a few mons outspeed crobat, and I'm biased with crobat because it's part of my ingame team lol. but either way is fine, try both and see what works for you. Although I wanted the precipice blades, I lost some match with its crucial miss. All the mons here are seen very often in pokemon showdown, I guess your fine just practice to improve your decisions in plays, and make sure to keep an eye with new threats. Good luck XD
I'm a logger
recorder
diarier?

I record my Pokemon journey in this diary

so a journeyer?

(Feb 20, 2016, 04:21 AM)GMX Wrote: Honestly i would stick with Talonflame since it's an excellent partner for Xerneas (and in general it offers a guaranteed Tailwind for your team). The main reason being priority LO Brave Bird for some damage on opposing boosted Xerneas (we are still talking about a 2HKO on a standard 4HP Xerneas) or to finish off anything you put in KO range with your boosted Dazzling Gleam / Moonblast, which is more important than people think; then you have priority Tailwind to match any opposing Tailwind in the blink of an eye; another great move on Talonflame is Quick Guard, since M-Ray Extreme Speed and Scizor Bullet Punch are really strong, you have a mean to stop those attacks (actually, you make Scizor useless in front of your Xerneas), not to talk about opposing Talonflame Brave Bird targeting your Xerneas, which you can stop. Thanks to Quick Guard you also completely shut down Prankster TWave, Quash, Encore and many other things (Whimsicott, Thundy and Liepard). Then you also have Flare Blitz which is another option to OHKO opposing Ferrothorn, when you can't switch in your P-Don safely or when it's gone.

PS: try Focus Sash on Thundurus :D

That's true. I suppose I could run either Talonflame or Crobat and both would give me similar results. Quick Guard is a great idea on Talinflame, I just don't know what move to give up to use it though.

(Feb 20, 2016, 05:30 AM)jouzea Wrote: Why does your ferrothorn have 0 IV in speed, I think it's safe to give it 31IV? Your kang should be inner focus so you have the option to not mega when you're sure your opponent will fake out for those pesky scarfed smeargles. I use crobat in my own team, as it doesn't have 4x weakness to rock types, with almost the same use with talonflame. You might argue with talonflame having a priority bravebird, but only a few mons outspeed crobat, and I'm biased with crobat because it's part of my ingame team lol. but either way is fine, try both and see what works for you. Although I wanted the precipice blades, I lost some match with its crucial miss. All the mons here are seen very often in pokemon showdown, I guess your fine just practice to improve your decisions in plays, and make sure to keep an eye with new threats. Good luck XD

I have 0 speed IVs on Ferrothorn so Gyro Ball hits harder. Plus, even with 31 speed IVs, it wouldn't be out speeding anything on the field anyways. I would use a Inner Focus Kang but I unfortunately don't have one at the moment. I'll have to ask around for a HA Kang!
(Feb 20, 2016, 06:20 AM)DanielJames Wrote: I have 0 speed IVs on Ferrothorn so Gyro Ball hits harder. Plus, even with 31 speed IVs, it wouldn't be out speeding anything on the field anyways. I would use a Inner Focus Kang but I unfortunately don't have one at the moment. I'll have to ask around for a HA Kang!

OIC. I checked if I have any HA kang but it seems I don't. sorry I couldn't help you there.
I'm a logger
recorder
diarier?

I record my Pokemon journey in this diary

so a journeyer?