Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] Can somebody help me with my smeargle moveset?
The problem with using hazards in a Battle Spot Doubles is that there's significantly less switching involved. Consider both players have two Pokemon on the field and the other two in the back so the purpose of those hazards become null as soon as either any two Pokemon from one field is knocked out.

Dark Void is generally a staple move on Smeargle given the fact you can effectively place two Pokemon to sleep for up to 1-3 turns. Usually I'd pair this with a strong hyper offensive POkemon or something that can setup immediately like the obvious Mega Kangashan/Salamence. For other movesets, Follow Me is a good support move for redirection and once again to get those mons setup. Some people like to run King's Shield on their Smeargles to punish contact moves, though this will leave Smeargle vulnerable to Taunt.

Tailwind is another move Smeargle can use for offensive players to punish passive double protect plays, though it can be rather risky. Both Quick Guard and Wide Guard are useful to have on Smeargle for surprise tech options, just figure out the team.

(FYI I don't want the Chandelure, so you can give it to someone else).
@ChaseInfinity That's true! but the problem is there's no way a pokemon there would have dark void
(Nov 4, 2016, 10:48 AM)TheDancingRoserade Wrote: @ChaseInfinity That's true! but the problem is there's no way a pokemon there would have dark void

in a double battle you can use your ally, for example if your first pokemon is darkrai and second is smeargle, the darkrai moves first used dark void, them smeargle uses sketch on darkrai
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
@Black117 i'll look a that but the smeargle is more for entry hazards to weaken the mons and break sashes
@ChaseInfinity looking for somebody for that!
That's not entirely true. Reason why Smeargle is moderately used in VGC, BS Doubles, or any Doubles oriented format is its significant support options and the threat of Dark Void. Unless your opponent doesn't know what Smeargle does, people still have to respect the fact a successful DV use can rapidly change the momentum of the game to the your favor. Personally, Dark Void is only incredibly "strong" to the point other people consider banning DV from Smeargle, however I won't get into that debate.

Hazards are not seen at all in VGC or Battle Spot Doubles since again these battles are much faster pace and more offensive oriented. Remember that 4 Pokemon are being used in a Flat Double battle, and then 2 of them are on the field. Problem with the focus sash argument is people are generally going to "lead" with their sash users in doubles anyways. Some of the most common sash users like Gengar, Bisharp, Terrakion, and yes even Smeargle are seen as leads.

Obviously there are some extreme exceptions, but there's way better support moves for Smeargle to run anyways like those I've mentioned in the previous comment. Just removing Stealth Rocks and Sticky Webs greatly gives Smeargle more options to use.
@Black117 you have a point!
what moveset would you think of?
@TheDancingRoserade I have a cool suggestion!
Dark Void
Staple move on Smeargle and generally annoying
Follow Me
Also annoying and gives teammates a turn to do whatever they please
Fake Out
Not for damage, but to immobilize an opposing Pokemon. Also gives a free turn
Some kind of protecting move
Whatever move you choose, a move that protects Smeargle and/or their teammates is extremely good. My recommendations are King's Shield, Spiky Shield, Wide Guard or Quick Guard.
(BTW I'm not trying to copy anybody, this is stuff I made up)
Life only happens once. Make the most out of it.

I main Tracer for some reason...
My Friend Safari is Flying with Pidgey, Fletchiender and Swanna. Feel free to add me!

Also, my name is Hayden... Why am I Johnnyspyguy?
You're in the wrong area of the forums if you need someone to help you get the moves on your Smeargle. The best way to do this on your own is to find somewhere in-game where you can get a double battle. Off the top of my head:

X&Y - Battle Restaurants
OR&AS- Gabby & Ty, Secret Bases (that have double battles)

Also, running Whirlwind on Smeargle doesn't make any sense due to it's inability to sustain a hit to allow you to phase the opponent out. It's better to run something like Fake Out, Endeavor, Baton Pass, Toxic, Will-o-Wisp or even Skill Swap (for Magic Bouncers)