Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] I'm freakin' out
So I'm planning on getting to the regionals in Ft. Wayne IN this weekend and I am lost with my team. I've been breeding a lot of guys lately and at some point just ended up with kind of a donkey of a team that isn't working for me.

So I started because I really enjoy running this guy:
[Image: 214-mega.gif]
Heracross@heracronite
Adamant nature
E.V's:252HP, 252ATK, 4SPE
-Protect
-Pin Missile
-Close Combat
-Rock Blast

I just like him. And he's in my comfort zone... Plus he can take some non flying hits and hit like a truck himself. I decided to go with rain support for him since he doesn't like the heat and I figured he needs speed control to really cut a rug.

So next I went for :
[Image: 186.gif]
Politoed@Sitrus Berry
Bold nature
E.V's 68HP, 188DEF, 108SPATK, 4SPE
-Protect
-Helping Hand
-Icy Wind
-Scald

Veterans of this site will recognize this politoed since that's where I decided on my end build. I wanted her to be heavy support and I like the rain. I've never run weather before and I think that as we get further into this you will see how maybe I let the rain cloud my judgement. heheh, get it? Rain cloud? trololololooo...........

Next I went for Poli's go to partner in crime:

[Image: 272.gif]
Ludicolo@assault vest
Timid nature
E.V's: 84DEF, 228SPATK, 140 SPE
-Fake Out
-Giga Drain
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam

So I like ludicolo but just don't know about him. I think my doubts come from lack of expirience. His Speed EV's are to let him outspeed base 105 scarfers in the rain and his attack is to take out assault vest Lando-t with a possible icebeam OHKO. I wonder if I should try using the life orb instead and try the more basic 252 speed/special split.

At this point I wanted taunt on my team and a secondary method of speed control. I haven't been able to get a worthwhile Thundurus to save my life so I chose:
[Image: 641.gif]
Tornadus@Life Orb
Timid Nature
E.V's: 252SPE, 252SPATK, 4HP
-Protect
-Taunt
-Tailwind
-Hurricane

I'm not sure this guy actually has a place here. With hurricane he pretty much needs the rain and so does ludicolo. Plus I don't know if I wanna dedicate 3 slots to the rain but I really wanted taunt to help keep trick room at bay and I like the tailwind option. I'm really open to suggestions here and more or less chose this bro for the swag.

I like weavile plan and simple. And weavile doesn't mind the rain and is a great alt. lead when rain is innapropes so:
[Image: 461.gif]
Weavile@focus Sash
Jolly Nature
E.V's: 252ATK, 252SPE, 4HP
-Fake Out
-Knock Off
-Ice Shard
-Icicle Crash

Weavile is a favorite lead of mine to back up the main lead of any team. Plus I love that she is adequate at fighting lando and cress. Not that this team has particular issues with them... I just dislike them and enjoy the spiteful vengeance. I wanted to maximize on her attacking power and speed. She out fake outs mooooooost fake out users which is cool.

So then despite previous comments of dislike I thought a solid safe option would be:
[Image: 645-therian.gif]
Landorus-T@Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
E.V's: 252 ATK, 252 SPE, 4HP
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-U-Turn
-Superpower

Not much to say here, he's a safe option. I like his ability and typing to back my bros up. I think He's a solid backup/revengist.

So it just hasn't been working out for me. Please help me with some advice or criticism.... just don't be too mean. I'm freaking out after all. I really think that Tornadus is an issue here and have considered running Whimsicott instead as a prankster that lays down the taunt and tailwind but I think that would be stacking some of his weaknesses with ludicolo and I'm not sure.
You seem to have a solid team here. If you can nail down what Pokemon or what strategies ruin you, then I might be of more help.
(Oct 15, 2015, 02:15 PM)Delta Wrote: You seem to have a solid team here. If you can nail down what Pokemon or what strategies ruin you, then I might be of more help.

Trick room has been messing me up. I can stop it pretty frequently but higher level players are really good at sneaking it in there. Harry's low speed is a good answer to it but he's just not built for that. The other thing is that a couple of times I've wanted not to take the rain option with me but then that means I have either ludicolo or Tornadus who aren't as effective. Maybe you're right and I'm just having a crisis of confidence Blush
Another thing is that I'm not sure about tornadus' ev's and item? He's just not Thundurus. I know I want his speed up there so he has a chance of blasting taunt on thundy before being taunted but do I really need the attack power? He is uncharted territory for me
Tundurus and Tornadus are the same speed, so one taunting the other comes down to RNG.
Shachi's a monster to go against -  wpendragon

Semolina pilchard, climbing up the Eiffel Tower. Elementary penguin singing Hari Krishna.
Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.
(Oct 15, 2015, 02:39 PM)Shachi Wrote: Tundurus and Tornadus are the same speed, so one taunting the other comes down to RNG.

Thundurus never runs max speed timid anymore.

As for the team, I'm not the most experienced at VGC but it looks like bulky waters could be annoying. Obviously they (a long with everything) won't appreciate anything Heracross uses, but they can fish for a burn with scald, beat Lando 1v1 and wall Weavile and Politoed. particularly Rotom-W as it resists Tornadus' Hurricane and has a higher chance to burn Heracross. I'm not too sure about the viability of Bullet Seed on Heracross in VGC, but its a possibility to have a nice chance to OHKO Rotom and have a guaranteed 2HKO on Suicune and Milotic. That's really the main thing that I see, and in testing you might find it not to be a big issue.
(Oct 15, 2015, 02:46 PM)RebornFX Wrote:
(Oct 15, 2015, 02:39 PM)Shachi Wrote: Tundurus and Tornadus are the same speed, so one taunting the other comes down to RNG.

Thundurus never runs max speed timid anymore.

As for the team, I'm not the most experienced at VGC but it looks like bulky waters could be annoying. Obviously they (a long with everything) won't appreciate anything Heracross uses, but they can fish for a burn with scald, beat Lando 1v1 and wall Weavile and Politoed. particularly Rotom-W as it resists Tornadus' Hurricane and has a higher chance to burn Heracross. I'm not too sure about the viability of Bullet Seed on Heracross in VGC, but its a possibility to have a nice chance to OHKO Rotom and have a guaranteed 2HKO on Suicune and Milotic. That's really the main thing that I see, and in testing you might find it not to be a big issue.

Has thundy not been running max speed lately? That's reassuring actually.

As for bullet seed on Harry, I've used him a lot and found that rock blast is frequently a better option. It's hard to give up protect in the doubles format but four attacks on him is somewhat viable.

I too was worried about bulky water guys. I wonder if I should take an electric type with me. This is the first team I've run in some time without a rotom of my own. A lot of the time Ludicolo can take them and Harry can still hit pretty hard with his stabs.

I'm starting to think I just need to get on battlespot and do thirty or fourty battles to get used to these guys.

One last thing though, should I worry about running fire? I've hit a wall trying to get rid of ferrothorn a couple times and that worried me.
Based on the team itself, you need to figure out how to beat Fairy types like Mega Gardevoir or sylveon since those two can pretty much steamroll this team with support. What your team needs is a Steel type like Aegislash who can threaten both these Fairy types and gives Trick Room mons like Cress a run for their money. Aegislash can run a Sub-Leftovers with Dual Stabs (or maybe with Wide Guard for Flash Cannon) so it can gradually keep attacking while gaining health little by little. It would appreciate the rain as well since most Ground types and Fire Pokemon (bar Charizard Y) won't risk taking rain boosted attacks. Here's the set I'd run:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 12 Def / 92 SpA / 100 SpD / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Substitute

With Tailwind support already, I think your team should be sufficient enough to get speed control. Icy Wind is great on Politoed just to slow down the opposing teams enough so that Heracross can outspeed. Tornadus is the only Pokemon I'm not so sure about since if its just me using Thundurus often or not having experience with Tornadus.
(Oct 15, 2015, 03:13 PM)Black117 Wrote: Based on the team itself, you need to figure out how to beat Fairy types like Mega Gardevoir or sylveon since those two can pretty much steamroll this team with support. What your team needs is a Steel type like Aegislash who can threaten both these Fairy types and gives Trick Room mons like Cress a run for their money. Aegislash can run a Sub-Leftovers with Dual Stabs (or maybe with Wide Guard for Flash Cannon) so it can gradually keep attacking while gaining health little by little. It would appreciate the rain as well since most Ground types and Fire Pokemon (bar Charizard Y) won't risk taking rain boosted attacks. Here's the set I'd run:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 12 Def / 92 SpA / 100 SpD / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Substitute

With Tailwind support already, I think your team should be sufficient enough to get speed control. Icy Wind is great on Politoed just to slow down the opposing teams enough so that Heracross can outspeed. Tornadus is the only Pokemon I'm not so sure about since if its just me using Thundurus often or not having experience with Tornadus.

You hit that wavelength with me black. I've considered aegislash. I just don't know what to give up for it. Maybe either tornadus or landorus. But I like them here so it's a tough call. And I hear you on thundurus. But I have omega ruby and it does not contain thundurus. I've had bad luck trying to get one as well so I decided to go with the tailwind troll.

I like the lefties aeg too, cause you only ever see it with the weakness policy. This sustain set you've put forth is neat. Tonight and tomorrow night I'm gonna do some more extensive battle testing for sure as I just aquired a BR aegislash.
You hit that wavelength with me black. I've considered aegislash. I just don't know what to give up for it. Maybe either tornadus or landorus. But I like them here so it's a tough call. And I hear you on thundurus. But I have omega ruby and it does not contain thundurus. I've had bad luck trying to get one as well so I decided to go with the tailwind troll.

I like the lefties aeg too, cause you only ever see it with the weakness policy. This sustain set you've put forth is neat. Tonight and tomorrow night I'm gonna do some more extensive battle testing for sure as I just aquired a BR aegislash.
[/quote]
If you give me something good I could give you one of my three thundurus that is modest with hp ice and no evs so you can build it how you want