Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Newbie LF help finishing VGC Team
Hey guys :P

I want to start competitive battles, but mostly for fun, do not really plan to go to any event but I need help

Did not play Pokemon for years, so all of this is a mix of what I want to play, infos from the internet and my own thoughts since i like the strategy aspect

Mega Venusaur Venusaurite Thick Fat [Image: venusaur_mega_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a48rr.gif]

Sludge Bomb
Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Protect

Gengar Focus Sash Levitate [Image: gengar_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49lv.gif]

Sludge Bomb
Icy Wind
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt

Garchomp Life Orb Rough Skin [Image: garchomp_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49md.gif]

Rock Slide
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Protect

Clefable Sitrus berry Magic Guard [Image: clefable_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a43ns.gif]

Follow Me
Heal Pulse
Moonblast
Protect

I always liked Venusaur, because Bulbasaur was the hated one :S lol and his bulk+regen is nice in Mega. Garchomp felt necessary for the Rock Slide to cover the Flying weakness. Also Eartquake can be used with Gengar's Levitate. Fairy types would be covered by Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb.
I am stuck on those 4. Seems like this Gengar would outspeed an Adamant Mega Salamence and has 43.8% to OHKO it with Icy Wind, and Clefable would OHKO for sure but won't outspeed it. Mega Kangaskhan should not be a problem since it cannot go through Mega Venusaur bulk + Giga Drain.

I feel like I need some Fighting, and/or something to counter Fire types
I was thinking about Arcanine with Close Combat to make sure to OHKO Mega Kangaskhan and the Intimidate could be usefull, maybe a Tailwind user like Suicune?

I am a Newbie, so I will take all the advices Smile
I like M-Venusaur + Gengar + Garchomp core, we can start from here.

I would put a Lum Berry on Garchomp as Life Orb damage boost doesn't get any additional KO (maybe on 252 HP / 4 Def CharY but it's not the most popular set)

I don't like an offensive set on Arcanine but i guess it can work as you need something to hit M-Kang as hard as possible without adding a Fighting type pokemon (which would add a third Psychic weakness, not good at all)

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

#Outspeeds -1 Speed Landorus-T (after Icy Wind for example) by one point.

252+ Atk Life Orb Arcanine Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 177-208 (97.7 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

It's the best we can have without a Choice Band if you want to use this set. If you want a support Rocky Helmet set which destroys any physical attacker in general, here it is:

Arcanine @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Morning Sun

#Outspeeds Adamant Bisharp by one point

Suicune can complete the Grass+Fire+Water core which is great at the moment. It offers Snarl and Tailwind support too and it deals with Landorus-T which puts pressure on Arcanine. However if you use Suicune, which we are going to use as support mon with a Sitrus Berry, there's no space for Clefable (it can redirect a Brave Bird or a Psychic but that's all.. it fits better as support for other megas like M-Kang, redirecting a Fighting type move for example)

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 100 SpA / 20 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Snarl / Protect (use Protect if you use the Rocky Helmet Arcanine set)
- Tailwind

#100% chance to OHKO 4 HP Landorus-T with Ice Beam
#Jolly M-Kang Double-Edge is a 3HKO on this Suicune
#Outspeeds  Adamant Scarf Landorus-T under Tailwind

For the last slot you can use Bisharp to scare Landorus-T away.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

If you have any other idea please tell me :D
Hi thanks for the reply :P

well wouldnt Arcanine with Rocky Helmet + Suicune mean team would lack damage?

I liked the Clefable for the Heal Pulse, felt like a good combination with Mega Venusaur and to protect Gengar against Mega Salamence. but the Suicune could take care of it on his own

Milotic's Competitive works like Bisharp's Defiant? the opponent would get a disadventage by switching in Landorus T (and Salamence as well)
(May 12, 2015, 10:12 AM)Apo Wrote: Hi thanks for the reply :P

well wouldnt Arcanine with Rocky Helmet + Suicune mean team would lack damage?

I liked the Clefable for the Heal Pulse, felt like a good combination with Mega Venusaur and to protect Gengar against Mega Salamence. but the Suicune could take care of it on his own

Milotic's Competitive works like Bisharp's Defiant? the opponent would get a disadventage by switching in Landorus T (and Salamence as well)

Well it's up to your prefered play-style. If you want to use a more offensive team, you can always use an offensive Arcanine and switch  out Suicune for Milotic -  it will grant you a greater offensive pressure (in particular when Competitive ability activates) and more damage output but that means you will have less speed control and you won't be able to switch momentum in your favour easily (burning a M-Kang or Snarling to death a special attacker for example).

The reason why i've choosen Bisharp is because there are very few Landorus-T EVd to take a Life Orb +1 Sucker Punch, which means that usually a well-played Bisharp is enough to handle Land-T, if that's what you are scared of. Furthermore it adds a lot of balance in your type resistances table: http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/?3m...59|245|625

You can also "play" with that teambuilder and see if you find any other good and balanced core which we can talk about here! I'm not  forcing you to use the pokemon i suggested and i'll appreciate your opinions till we find something that fits for you Smile