Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] need advice for my next tournament "VGC 2015"
Hello everyone, this is my first post in here. I began with a little introduction: i'm Hildart,  started playing pokemon since yelow version but VGC 2015 is my first competitive year, I almost got a entrance for nationals but the inexperience and nervousness of my first tournaments made me do a lot of mistakes.

Long story short: in 2 weeks I have a official tournament in my city and I was testing a lot of teams and options (using mega char X, perish trap, etc), but without a lot of succes, I ladder up using chalk but I don't like it a lot. Finally I ended up with a team I feel confident but there is some slots I don't know if I can optimize, please lend my a hand, any advice is welcome.

And finally: THE TEAM

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy  
Ability: Stance Change  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Quiet Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Shadow Ball  
- Flash Cannon  
- Wide Guard  
- King's Shield  

Common set, wide guard to counter landorus, more offensive variant and wp because reasons

Raikou @ Shuca Berry  
Ability: Pressure  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Thunderbolt  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  
- Snarl  
- Protect  

This is a diamond, is awesome how well it works, one of the fastests snarls in the game, not sure about the spread, mbe assaul vest coul be better, dunno

Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry  
Ability: Flame Body  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Rage Powder  
- Giga Drain  
- Heat Wave  
- Quiver Dance  

This slot was initially an amoongus, but I never bring it, because I always think "there is a better option", the switch was because I ran a charizar X, and after changing it for a mega khan, I needed a fire pkm and I still need redirection (the spread is to survive a double edge khan 98% of the time)

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite  
Ability: Scrappy  
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 60 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Return  
- Low Kick  
- Sucker Punch  
- Fake Out  

Just OP mega, I want to win so I quit gimmicks and decide to bring what its op

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Rock Slide  
- Earthquake  
- Knock Off  
- Superpower  

Not sure about this slot, it was my last choice, I had 4 special attackers and needed another ofensive pkm, I ran a scrafty but I lag of speed control so landorus did the job better (maybe) still not sure if I need to switch this pkm

Milotic @ Maranga Berry  
Ability: Competitive  
EVs: 228 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpA / 12 SpD / 12 Spe  
Bold Nature  
- Scald  
- Icy Wind  
- Toxic  
- Recover  

another (maybe or maybe not), this slot was initialy a rotom-w, but I wasn't sure if I really need another electric pkm, and I'm a little too afraid of landorus

Well that's my team, give me some feedback I'll apreciate every comment Smile
http://pokemonforever.com/Thread-IMPORTA...NG-A-BUILD there is still things missing in this build, we needs calcs and more in dept reason why you chose this set, for instance, I run max speed on my Salamence with Jolly nature because it still OHKOs other mences and dragon claw cant even with max Attack.

But as for the team, goes, you need forms of recovery in more than 1 pokemon. Other than Sitrus berry on volcarona, you have no way of recovering HP. This is not vital but it does help very much in keeping pokemon alive and not just one and done. The longer a pokemon sticks around, the better chance you have at winning. Also Toxic doesnt really help in VGC although some people make it work, but with the time limit stalling isnt too good of a strategy. Work on this team a little and tell us more about the sets, good luck.
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
Hello there, Hildart and welcome to the community!

Now, I apologize in advance for having to be a bit hard here but your post is under the wrong prefix. You're asking for help with a team so use the "Request" prefix.

As far as this team goes, it appears you have simply thrown 6 Pokemon together to cancel out weaknesses and check the threats of the current metagame. I'd suggest not taking this approach, but rather, create a team from scratch using mons that you like and/or are viable in this format. As to the performance of this team, it is pretty much a standard set of mons used in the format.

Each of these sets independently function well by their own right, so I'll give you props there.

What I would really need you to do is to explain further what your game plan is, why you chose each mon, why you chose a specific EV spread and the problems/merits each Pokemon has put forward in the practice games you've done with this team.

TL;DR - All you have here is six Pokemon. I can't deduce your game plan or game style hence I can't critique your team. If it isn't too much to ask, just provide a bit more detail on your team so I can give you a better analysis
[Insert signature here]
Hello, i'm Hildart and this is an extensive analisis of each pokemon in my team:

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

I like slower aegislash to semicounter other aegislash, to catch them in attack form. also 0 IV in speed was an idea of being slower than scrafty and survive his knock off giving the boost os wp. Wide guard was to counter and mindhax oposites charizards, heatrans and landorus. I used tu use substitute instead of flash canon with lefties but I notice gardevoir and sylveon were a trouble to the team.

I usually bring aegislash with mega khan against posibles fire pkm with spread attacks, milotic + aegislash against landorus, or raikou + aegislash if there is a landorus + something that can counter milotic.

also, it's my answer to trick room.

Good sinergy with raikou, khan

Raikou @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Snarl
- Protect

I don't like to use legendaries but for this metagame they are necesaries, I wanted something with a fast snarl to nulify special attackers and when I added Raikou I wanted a way to destroy opposites landorus (yes, Im afraid of him because everyone use it). I'm not really convinced about the spread, maybe less speed and special attack and more bulkyness, maybe with assaul vest, my first intencion was to counter and surprise landorus because I'm faster if not scarf but now I have milotic to counter, maybe I can switch the role to a more suportive one.
Shuca Berry was there because assvest landorus has a roll to survive hp ice and with shuca Raikou live to fight another turn.

Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Heat Wave
- Quiver Dance

As I said before, this was an amoongus before, but I never bring amoongus I don't know why, but I'm not confident with him, so I switched to volcarona. The spread is to survive 98% of the time a double edge khan, I tried this moves but after a few test I think I should use a mere supportive volc, with w-o-w and protect, without quiver dance, and meybe change hw for overheat to max dmg output.

I always use it to check another khan, because it wall it a lot, rage powder is a great move when I have my own khan with it, and flame body is very usefull, also counters amoongus that is very common nowadays.

Also another chet to trick room (?)

good sinergy with khan, maybe milotic (?)

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out

I always liked the bulky version of khan over the faster one, usually I ran protect but I lack fake out in the team. Low kick to counter heatran and other khans alse, ferrothorn is always scary and low kick helps a lot

The spread is based in the world champion so I supose is good :^)

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Superpower

this was a fill, I said earlier that I don't like megas a lot, but everyone use it, and the reason is rock slide, I always ran an scarf version, but being able to survive an ice beam is clutch. also knock of help me against cresselia and a posible scarf landorus

the spread is to survive Ice beam, maybe the cresselia one (not 100% sure) also this slot could change because I needed a psysical attacker but not sure if landorus was the correct answer, initially was an scrafty, but my team was the slowest thing in the world so I thought: landorus is faster than scrafty, the end XD

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 228 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpA / 12 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Toxic
- Recover

This one was a rotom-w but I notice the lack of speed control and as I said before "I'm affraid of landorus" so icy wind milotic seem a good idea, toxic was my option co counter set up pkm like calm mind cresselia or cradily (?).

this is the basic spread for maranga berry, and milotic fullfill the role of special defensive wall and also has good phisical deensive stats. Not sura about this slot too, but I though I needed some water coverage

I hope this is enough for you to analice my team and give me some advices thank you very much Smile
Thanks for the effort, Hildart. +1 Rep Cool

I have taken the liberty of testing this team and reworking it into a way where it would function more effectively in my opinion. I had a lot of fun with this team to be honest and gladly on your part there were little to no flaws.

I have to state that the Aegislash + Raikou lead is pretty solid. It does exactly what you said it does - stop Landorus-T and slow down bulky water types.

Weakness Policy Aegislash is a perfect fit on this team so you have no need to change it. Raikou, however, gave problems where Snarl had little to no impact on the matches it was brought to, mainly due to the presence of Milotic, Heatran or physical attackers. Another problem was with Tailwind. Since your team has no clear way of countering Tailwind, it runs shop easily on this team.

I would like to recommend running Thunder Wave on Raikou as a means of speed control.

Shuca Berry has been very helpful as well. If you aren't feeling Shuca Berry, I strongly recommend running Safety Goggles as matchups with Breloom and Amoonguss were pretty tedious seeing as how you have no way to OHKO or prevent them from using status moves. Also note, HP Ice DOESN'T OHKO Breloom

Bug Buzz is more ideal for Volcarona to deal with Hydreigon who walls out half of your team. The Quiver Set, however, has worked out tremendously. I want to say run Swarm in conjunction with Bug Buzz for crazy damage but Flame Body is more ideal for picking up those clutch burns. It's here or there to be honest

Keep Protect on Kangaskhan. Trust me, a lot of matches I was forced to have Landorus EQ which resulted in Kangaskhan meeting damage rolls ideal for the opponent (basically, RIP Kanga)

Landorus doesn't really do much for this team at all. In a lot of games, it got erased easily by HP Ice. It's offensive presence is questionable as well because Rock Slide hasn't proven useful, Superpower doesn't OHKO Kanga or any other mon I've used it on so far so it turns Landorus into dead weight, extremely hard to find openings to Earthquake because nothing on your team levitates and Knock Off does very little damage. Either change the spread, the moveset along with the item or drop Landorus all together.

Milotic is hard to bring to games but it has shined where it counts. I remember how its Toxic made it possible to take out a Weakness Policy Zapdos, how its Scald picked up a very important burn on Kangaskhan in the same match and how Icy Wind slowed down said Zapdos so that Kangaskhan could get more openings. Milotic does what it needs to get done. My only recommendation is to find a Pokemon that resists or is immune to electric attacks so Milotic has a safe switch into.

My final recommendation is to switch Landorus for Mamoswine.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Protect

I hope this helps you with your team building for the tournament. Best of luck! Smile
[Insert signature here]
Thank you very much for the effort and for testing the team. These days I tried rocky helmet on volcarona with w-o-w instead of quiver and I have to say that I like it a lot, but I'm not sure which moves do more for the team.

The second think I tested was:

Raikou @ Assault vest
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 76 HP / 204 SAtk / 228 Spd

It help to survive a one more hit of spread attacks, turning stab hyper voice and heat wave 3HKO

And now I'm hyped about mamoswine XD as I said I don't enjoy playing legendaries a lot, and your mamo fullfill a lot the role. Gonna test it soon Smile

Thanks again ^^
Assault Vest isn't a bad idea at all but sadly you'll miss out on Thunder Wave. You still have moves like Extrasenory, Snarl, Shadow Ball and Volt Switch up your sleeve. All a matter of preference I guess

Glad to hear I helped :D
[Insert signature here]