Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Mega Spotlight: Mega Sceptile!
Hello friends! Just like M-Swampert, I'm here to go over his somewhat counter-part: Mega Sceptile!
(Notice how I said "somewhat" counter-part, we'll go over that later.)
Let's take a look at his stats, ability, and typing first off.

STATS: 70 HP, 110 ATK, 75 DEF, 145 SPA, 85 SPD, 145 SPE
TYPING: Grass/Dragon
ABILITY: Lightning Rod (This pokemon draws in all Electric-type moves to boost its Sp. Atk stat. by 1; Electric Immunity)

There are better abilities out there, but I can live with this one. Lightning rod isn't as bad as you think it'd be considering that rotom wash, mega manetric, zapdos, Magnezone, and more are pretty common. However, the dragon typing works against this ability a little because most electric types also carry hidden power ice which our mega here is 4x weak to. But all it takes is one wrong prediction for you to get that boost and potentially sweep an entire team. Lets get down to the build I'll be using.

Modest     -Energy Ball
48 HP       -Dragon Pulse
252 SPA    -Leaf Storm
208 SPE     -Focus Blast

I'm running this amount of speed for many reasons. 1. I don't want to make it timid, I think M-Sceptile needs the SPA boost because it's so frail. You either wanna come in, OHKO something and leave, or 2KO something on the switch in and leave. Only way to outspeed something like timid mega manetric is to make sceptile timid himself, and I don't think thats worth it. 2. With this amount of speed you outspeed max speed timid Greninja, which is really important since it's Ice Beam is a huge threat. Not to mention that Greninja is something that HAS to go in OR/AS since it gets access to Gunk Shot as a move tutor move, meaning those fairy counters are no longer counters to him.

I'm running double grass coverage for those really big threats that need to go. Like specially defensive mega slowbro, specially defensive rotom wash, etc. You know, the things that energy ball can only 2KO. Be wary about when you use leaf storm though. Because it lowers your special attack harshly after its use. So come in, drop it, hit something really hard, and get out of there! (Wish mega sceptile had draco >.>)

Dragon Pulse for the obvious dragon stab and to hit those dragon types hard. and coming from this special attack? It hits REALLY hard. goodbye dragon types.

Focus blast for those pesks like tyranitar, heatran, etc. I was ALMOST wanted to switch this to Earthquake, but I realized that it only really hit heatran hard here. Low kick was another choice, but under use I just got more KO's with Focus Blast.

DOUBLES NOTE: I just wanted to mention this, it's too early to tell if it's viable to make a team over or not. But I was playing some custom matches with friends and I was running a sun team with a mild nature and had rock slide, solarbeam, energy ball, and dragon pulse and KO'd my friends charizard Y with the rock slide, took out his salamence with the dragon pulse, and took out rotom w with the solar beam. Sunny day team mega sceptile with solar beam perhaps? Have to see how the meta goes first.

COUNTERS: Remember how I said that mega sceptiles is mega swamperts "somewhat counter-part"? Yeah. Thats because swampert can easily outspeed mega sceptile in the rain, and ice punch it for the KO. Even with max speed timid nature, a max speed adamant nature swampert will still outspeed you in the rain. Mega Sceptile has much more to fear however. Ice Shard or even Focus Shash Mamoswine is popular. Mega Manetric/Jolteon with HP Ice if theyre timid. Not to mention Talonflame. Be aware of your 4x weakness, and build around it.

The mons that work best will be listed below, unlike mega swampert; These are listed to counter your weaknesses and help out your movepool. Sceptile needs a little bit of a defensive support.
Heatran, Tyranitar, Excadrill, Conkeldurr, Azumarill, Gengar.
-These can really be swapped to any pokemon that can fit these roles. A strong water type to bait out electric moves, a strong fighting type incase you dont want to risk focus blast, a fast earth quaker for those electric types running HP Ice, and some defensive mons for your weaknesses.

CONCLUSION: Mega Sceptile will be a threat in singles for sure. There aren't that many threatening grass types in the meta, but that's changing. It has a strong movepool and can have many different sets making it pretty unpredictable. It's also easy to build a team around, making it a very hard core to break. In VGC I think it's going to be the same. I'm a little worried how it'll hold up because of it's defenses, but it has such a large move pool that I'm hoping that'll make it used more.

Thanks for those who read this. ^^; I plan on doing all the megas, of course. Let me know if you wanna see a certain one next!
Decent build for Mega Sceptile. Please post your builds using the Pokemon Showdown Text format so it is easier to read.
[Insert signature here]
(Nov 4, 2014, 06:47 PM)Rogue Wrote: I don't want to make it timid, I think M-Sceptile needs the SPA boost because it's so frail. You either wanna come in, OHKO something and leave, or 2KO something on the switch in and leave.

Focus blast for those pesks like tyranitar, heatran, etc. I was ALMOST wanted to switch this to Earthquake, but I realized that it only really hit heatran hard here. Low kick was another choice, but under use I just got more KO's with Focus Blast.

DOUBLES NOTE: I just wanted to mention this, it's too early to tell if it's viable to make a team over or not. But I was playing some custom matches with friends and I was running a sun team with a mild nature and had rock slide, solarbeam, energy ball, and dragon pulse and KO'd my friends charizard Y with the rock slide, took out his salamence with the dragon pulse, and took out rotom w with the solar beam. Sunny day team mega sceptile with solar beam perhaps? Have to see how the meta goes first.

OK SO BASICALLY THIS IS YOUR BEST SET:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite  
Ability: Lightning Rod  
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe  
Mild Nature  
- Rock Slide  
- Earthquake  
- Focus Blast  
- Solar Beam

#48 HP to survive a -2 Choice Specs Hyper Voice Sylveon

-2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 48 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sceptile: 126-150 (83.4 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

#208 Spe EVs hits 191 Speed which is the same as Greninja's (....wait... why do we even have to speed tie with Greninja when we can outspeed it...)

#Rock Slide to "KO" M-Charizard Y

0 Atk Mega Sceptile Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 112-136 (72.7 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 0 Atk Mega Sceptile Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 72-88 (38.9 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

#Earthquake "only for Heatran"

0 Atk Mega Sceptile Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 116-140 (69.4 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Mega Sceptile Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 58-70 (34.7 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

#Focus Blast has a 70% chance to OHKO Tyranitar, M-Kangaskhan and so on. Why? BECAUSE IT IS A 70 ACCURACY MOVE.

#Solar Beam, best Grass type move coverage against Rain teams

252+ SpA Mega Sceptile Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 40+ SpD Politoed: 216-254 (109.6 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed you have to charge your attack on turn 1 because of Rain anyway
(Oct 14, 2015, 05:39 PM)GMX Wrote:
(Nov 4, 2014, 06:47 PM)Rogue Wrote: I don't want to make it timid, I think M-Sceptile needs the SPA boost because it's so frail. You either wanna come in, OHKO something and leave, or 2KO something on the switch in and leave.

OK SO BASICALLY THIS IS YOUR BEST SET:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite  
Ability: Lightning Rod  
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe  
Mild Nature  
- Rock Slide  
- Earthquake  
- Focus Blast  
- Solar Beam

#48 HP to survive a -2 Choice Specs Hyper Voice Sylveon

-2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 48 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sceptile: 126-150 (83.4 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

#208 Spe EVs hits 191 Speed which is the same as Greninja's (....wait... why do we even have to speed tie with Greninja when we can outspeed it...)

#Rock Slide to "KO" M-Charizard Y

0 Atk Mega Sceptile Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 112-136 (72.7 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 0 Atk Mega Sceptile Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 72-88 (38.9 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

#Earthquake "only for Heatran"

0 Atk Mega Sceptile Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 116-140 (69.4 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Mega Sceptile Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 58-70 (34.7 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

#Focus Blast has a 70% chance to OHKO Tyranitar, M-Kangaskhan and so on. Why? BECAUSE IT IS A 70 ACCURACY MOVE.

#Solar Beam, best Grass type move coverage against Rain teams

252+ SpA Mega Sceptile Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 40+ SpD Politoed: 216-254 (109.6 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed you have to charge your attack on turn 1 because of Rain anyway

I like the idea of mixed mega sceptile... .but I don't know if it's the best set for sceptile really. The original set Rogue put up was to maximize on sceptile's special attack and to get the most out of it. When you run something like Mega Sceptile you just gotta assume that your team is gonna need an option or two for guys like MegaZard Y.

Also did you mean sun teams talking about Solar Beam? Because even if that was just a typo I still think it's foolish to make it your only grass stab for any situation that doesn't involve opposing sun teams
You know what Mega Sceptile is to a Mega Swampert? A nice Salad - Lord shofu
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
GMX get out of this thread you fiend this was before the game even came out I understand you have an insane crush on me and have to follow my baby posts when i was but a child, but please; You're going to force me to get a restraining order.
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.