Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Advice needed
The trainers running the Venosaur/ Mega Charizard Y have been wrecking me pretty hard lately. How have you been able to overcome this pairing in your own battles?
Easy, trick room. Never had an issue with this team as i always have some form of speed control.

If i see charizard and venusaur in the team preview i open with Abomasnow @ focus sash and Cresselia.

Turn one i blizzard + trick room, then the next turn i go frist so helping hand + blizzard for the KO.

Depends on what team mates you have. Maybe heatran as a lead?
Shachi's a monster to go against -  wpendragon

Semolina pilchard, climbing up the Eiffel Tower. Elementary penguin singing Hari Krishna.
Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.
Either you basically can either attack into the "obvious" protects or attempt to have your own setup like Tailwind, Trick Room or Dragon Dance. A modest neutral 252 spe Venusaur has a full speed of about 132 and doubled that if its in the sun thanks to Charizard Y. When I usually face these teams, either have a Pokemon who are either resistant to Grass + Fire who are also strong enough to take the incoming pledge combo. Pretty much Dragon types like Mega Salamence and Hydreigon (especially if they have Cresselia) take any of their hits and retaliate with a powerful Aerilate attack/Draco Meteor or setup with either Dragon Dance or Tailwind (yes both can learn this). Opposing weather like Rain and Sand help disrupt the Sun mode and cuts Chlorophyll Venusaur to 132 (modest) or 145 (timid). Tyranitar and Politoed can come in to fulfill this role though be careful about Venusaur's Grass hits. Talonflame is another Pokemon who can bypass the Pledge orders with its Gale Wings Brave Bird attacks though would like faint as a result of potentially fainting both these Pokemon + recoil.

Fire types like Heatran, defensive Arcanine, Entei, Rotom-H, Blaziken, Chandelure and both Mega Charizard Y/X can beat this archetype by resisting either STAB Grass/Fire hits as well as threatening Venusaur for a knock out and don't take damage from the "sea of fire" (basically like 1/8 residual damage). Pokemon with either Safety Googles can work well (especially with some of the Fire types mentioned here) given how Venusaur usually goes for a Sleep Powder to shut down threats. Assault Vest Pokemon like Landorus-T, Tyranitar, Scrafty, etc should be able to take at least one sun boosted Fire + Grass pledge provided they aren't weak to them.

Back to what I said earlier, sometimes these team tend to go for the double protect to at least outspeed the opposing targets the next turn for a Pledge hit. If you have a fast Pokemon and something with speed control, immediately go for the setup. Mega Salamence after one Dragon Dance will outspeed and KO either Char Y or Venu provided they don't have a sash or are incredibly defensive. Tailwind Hydreigon is usually my favorite way of dismantling this team archetype since it also threatens Cresselia who's seen very commonly with these teams.

Edit: Its entirely possible they elect to go for an immediate pledge hit so be careful when leading with slower Pokemon without Fake Out minimum.
A Safety Googles Fire type with Snarl is the best answer (Arcanine, Entei)