Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[BUILD SUBMISSION] [Smogon] [PU] Meganium (Stall/Tank)
HELLO People!!!
Huge Shoutout to @"Elly" for being a great moderator on the moveset forum Smile

today i have a special quiz for you... and the question is name the best 5 starters in your opinion...

i give you my 100% gurantee that you didn't even consider Meganium (or remember it existed Sad...)

Anyway here it is

(im too lazy to insert a picture so just imagine one Smile )

STATS: Meganium has some pretty good stats with
80 hp/ 82 Att/ 100 def/83 Spa/100 Spd/80 Spe

So onto the set:

Firstly the moves:

Giga Drain (good atack that recovers health for sustainability adn allows for a lot of health back eith overgrow and rock leads such as golem and relicanth that will get punished if they choose to stay in to set up rocks)
Aromatherapy (heals status so allows meganium to stay around for longer and gets rid of pokemon such as gourgeist that just wants to burn it making it basically useless or annoying scald burns from politoed or lummineon that can get beaten by meganium)
Synthesis (recovery!!! Although saddening in rain also allows for more reliable recovery than leech seed and leftovers and giga drain which can be unreliable at times so allows for consistent recovery)
Leech seed (allows for recovery as well as wearing down opponents, not grass types though and allows for whittling down bulky mons such as regice, torkoal and muk that just want to stay in all day and wear you down)

Item: Leftovers (allows for chip recovery at end of each turn)

EV'S: 252 HP
        220 Def
        36 Spd
Calm Nature
Ability: Overgrow (for more giga drain damage when you get low on health so you can recover more)
Rundown: basically you use anicent power to attempt to get the boosts and then set up a leech seed and wreck lives from there Smile
Calcs:
DEFENSIVE: (all done at neutral stats)
252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 36+ SpD Meganium: 236-282 (64.8 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 36+ SpD Meganium: 230-272 (63.1 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (it has a chance to miss though)
252 SpA Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 36+ SpD Meganium: 109-129 (29.9 - 35.4%) -- 22.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Monferno Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 220 Def Meganium: 248-294 (68.1 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Gorebyss Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 36+ SpD Meganium: 172-204 (47.2 - 56%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Muk Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 220 Def Meganium: 188-222 (51.6 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mothim Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 36+ SpD Meganium: 338-402 (92.8 - 110.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Dodrio Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 220 Def Meganium: 284-336 (78 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
To put it simply +1 meganium beats OU sometimes (well i did at least, not bragging i swear) with mega metagross ice punch as well and stalled it out with leech seed and giga drain

Counters and pokemon to counter the counters

Roselia:

Roselia stops this set extremely well with it having 80 base SPdef and an eviolite with it you cant touch it for much damage at all. Roselia can also hit you for a Sludge bomb which is a 2HKO... On the bright side though it can be easily countered so on a team you could carry any of the following:
Fire Types such as Ninetales that can take a special hit and hit back with a fire type move
Steel types such as WORMADAM TRASH hinder roselia massively as giga drain is 4X resisted and immune to sludge bomb it's other STAB
Most physical attackers Having a horrible defence of 45 physical types cripple it especially if they can carry Knock off which removes it's eviolite such as pawniard (which is also steel Smile )

Monferno:

Monferno also carries an eviolite mostly and can resist giga drain as well as 2HKO Meganium with a STAB Flare blitz... although this is easily countered
Priority: priority specifically on a basculin or a floatzel can do severe damage to it as well as out prioritise mach punch
Bulky water: POLITOED is a great check for monferno it can take a close combat fairly well as well as dish out a nice scald to strike back
Swanna: Swanna resists both of monferno's STAB's and can cripple it with a scald as well as carry defog for it if wants to set up rocks
Mr.Mime: Mr.Mine dosen't want to switch into it unless on a mach punch but can strike back heavily with a psychic, Grumpig is also a fairly good option as well but i think personally Mr.MIme is a slight bit better

Arbok:

Basically meganium dosen't want to face of against poison types especially Arbok that can freely det up in your face wihtout you being able to touch it

Dragon tail: Most arbok run coil so if you are able to switch them out they loose their boosts and become useless until they get the boosts up again
Will-o-wisp: If you burn it Arbok becomes useless...simple as that really it is has half attack meganium isn't as scared by it and your opponent would have to get lucky with shed skin.Also paralysis can be a good cover for burn
Physical attackers: it has a pitiful defense so as long as you can survive a sucker punch you can retaliate back and kill it instantly

Team options: By no means is this a sweeper set but that dosen't mean you can't build mons around it. i mostly reccomend the ones above and some forms of speed control such as webs or tailwind. Masquerain is good as a lead with focus sash and webs to allow for speed controlas well as letting meganium in freely.

Other options:

Moves:  Sunny day(set up or for more efficient recovery 75%)
            Screens (reflect and light screen for support)
            Toxic(cause you can never have enough stall!)
            Ancient power ( stops most fire and flying pokemon and allows for an occasional boost)
            HP Fighting (to cover for steel types such as pawniard and probopass that are annoying for meganium to deal with on it's own)
        NOTE: if you choose HP Fire and Ancient power i reccomend going to offensive with 220 special Attack instead of defense)
            Dragon Tail (to stop set ups)

Items :  Light clay (screens)
           Heat rock ( For more turns on sunny day)

CONCLUSION: give him/her a go meganium is seriously good just noone gives it a go... EVER!!

Thank you for reading this moveset and have a great day Smile

Sidenote: Please tell me how good/bad i did as it is my first submission Thank you
Sadly, using Ancient Power to get boosts is very hax-reliant and since it's not a very reliable/viable strategy, I would modify some stuff if you want it approved. Mostly a replacement for Ancient Power (maybe Aromatherapy to act as a cleric). Otherwise, it's not too bad and I would consider approving it after some changes Smile
Great attempt at the write-up, however, I did have trouble reading through all of it due to it not being edited in a fashion that's organized and easy to read. I also realized that when you make mention of the team options and counters to and for Meganium respectively that you didn't really state in detail exactly why the specific Pokemon support or counter Meganium. At least 2 full sentences for why each move is viable on the Meganium set would be nice as well (for instance, "Giga Drain is one of Meganium's STAB moves that allow it to restore it's HP Stat while dealing super effective damage to Pokemon such as Vaporeon, Keldeo, Samurott, Golem among other Ground, Rock and Water types"). Lastly, what exactly makes this set effective? Have you ever used it before in a battle and do you have any replays of such battle(s)?
(Oct 6, 2016, 07:52 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Great attempt at the write-up, however, I did have trouble reading through all of it due to it not being edited in a fashion that's organized and easy to read. I also realized that when you make mention of the team options and counters to and for Meganium respectively that you didn't really state in detail exactly why the specific Pokemon support or counter Meganium. At least 2 full sentences for why each move is viable on the Meganium set would be nice as well (for instance, "Giga Drain is one of Meganium's STAB moves that allow it to restore it's HP Stat while dealing super effective damage to Pokemon such as Vaporeon, Keldeo, Samurott, Golem among other Ground, Rock and Water types"). Lastly, what exactly makes this set effective? Have you ever used it before in a battle and do you have any replays of such battle(s)?

^ also this, ty marc.
@"Elly"  ok will do
@Marcusube  Ok thank you for your advice Smile