Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SMOGON] [OUTDATED] [Smogon] [OU] Tapu Lele Moveset - Offensive (4 Options)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[Image: tapulele.png]

Type: Psychic / Fairy
Weaknesses: Steel, Poison, Ghost (X2)
Resistances: Psychic (X0,5), Fighting (X0,25) and Dragon (X0)

Abilities:

Psychic Surge: Activates Psychic Terrain for 5 turns when the Pokémon enters a battle.

Base stats: 70 HP / 85 Attack / 75 Defense / 130 Special Attack / 115 Special Defense / 95 Speed

I really love Tapu Lele. It's pretty cute, and I like cute Pokémon. But it's also very, very good competitively: it can run many different sets to be able to take on most playstyles in OU, and I'll show you some of them!

1- Choice Specs (Balance Breaker)

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Modest/Timid Nature
- Psychic
/Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

This set uses Tapu Lele's phenomenal Special Attack stat and excellent ability in Psychic Surge and makes Tapu Lele a big threat to balanced teams due to the extreme raw power provided by the Choice Specs. Psychic will break through anything that isn't a Dark type. And when I say everything, I really mean EVERYTHING: as shown by the calcs down below, it can 3HKO a max HP Aegislash Shield Form, meaning it can only switch in once; the second time it will switch in, it'll take a hit, then it will be outspeed and KOed without being able to Shadow Sneak because of Psychic Terrain blocking priority moves (and yes I know it was just banned, but it still a good example of Tapu Lele's power). Powerful, isn't it? At least, Dark types can counter it, right? Nope. It's a Psychic/Fairy type with access to Moonblast. Yep. It is broken. For the coverage, Focus Blast is a very good option that allows it to break Steel types, which is really good since it resists both Psychic and Fairy, and Hidden Power Fire is a nice option that allows it to OHKO M-Scizor, which is outspeed can can't Bullet Punch because of Psychic Terrain. This Pokémon is a very good balance breaker, as it deals so much damage to everything, and it is really great to remove defensive cores form balanced teams (be careful to not confuse them with stall) and then allow a faster Pokémon to clean up (these are called offense breakers because of their ability to outspeed and KO frailer Pokémon on offensive teams). There are a few tweaks you can make to this set; Timid is also a pretty good nature for this set, as it allows it to outspeed more stuff, but the damage drop is quite important in my opinion, so I prefer to use Modest to really muscle through its checks with all the raw power. Psyshock can be used instead of Psychic to hit Special Walls such as Chansey harder, but the damage is way better with Psychic.

2- Choice Scarf (Offense Breaker)

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
/Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

This set is really similar to the first one, but the item choice is what really makes the difference: Choice Scarf allows Tapu Lele to outspeed the entire non-scarfed metagame, while still being very powerful due to Psychic Surge, and it is thus a very nice offense breaker, outspeeding and KOing a ton of fast but frail offensive Pokémon, including Tapu Koko. It is mostly a revenge killer, since it can be outspeed by common scarfers such as Pheromosa, and it lacks the power of the Specs set. Psychic is its main STAB, being very strong because of the Psychic Terrain boost, while Moonblast is a very nice secondary STAB that allows it to take on Dark types. For the coverage, Focus Blast is a very good option that allows it to break Steel types, which is really good since it resists both Psychic and Fairy, and Hidden Power Fire is a nice option that allows it to heavily dent M-Scizor, which can't Bullet Punch because of Psychic Terrain. Psyshock can be used instead of Psychic to hit Special Walls such as Chansey harder, but the damage is way better with Psychic.

3- Life Orb + 3 Attacks (Balance Breaker #2)

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic
/Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Taunt/Calm Mind/Aromatherapy

This set is also a balance breaker, like the Specs set, but it works differently: instead of the Choice Specs, the Life Orb will be the item for this set, allowing Tapu Lele to use Taunt without getting locked into it and also changing moves, which can be useful since being locked into Psychic can be bothering since Dark types are pretty common in this metagame. It is really cool since with Taunt, you can shut down defensives cores, which makes it a great balance breaker, and also cripple Tapu Lele's usual counters, such as Celesteela, which you can Taunt on the switch and then switch to a counter without having to take a Leech Seed. It can also help by preventing status on Tapu Lele, since it has no recovery and is thus easily worn down. For the other moves, Psychic is its main STAB, being very strong because of the Psychic Terrain boost, while Moonblast is a very nice secondary STAB that allows it to take on Dark types. Finally, for coverage, Focus Blast is a very good option that allows it to break Steel types, which is really good since it resists both Psychic and Fairy. Instead of Taunt, there are two other options that are also viable: Calm Mind can be used to boost up and break stuff very easily because of the power of a boosted Life Orb Tapu Lele, while Aromatherapy can be useful to avoid status and also cure the whole team, preventing it from getting worn down. Psyshock can be used instead of Psychic to hit Special Walls such as Chansey harder, but the damage is way better with Psychic.

4- Stallbreaker

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Psychic
- Moonblast

This set is focused on beating stall teams with the use of two great moves: Taunt, which stops walls from recovering and inflicting status, their main way of inflicting damage, and Nature's Madness, which cuts the opponent's HP in half. The strategy is to Taunt the wall (which are 5/6 members out of the 6 members of a stall teams) so it can't recovering/status Lele, and then cut their HP in half until they're weakened enough to be knocked out by a Psychic/Moonblast. It is very simple to use, but very effective if you play it correctly. I made the EVs max Speed and Special Attack to KO stuff more easily and still outspeed stuff outside of stall matchups, but you can definitely invest in HP to tank more hits since its main way of dealing damage will be Nature's Madness.

Offensive

Specs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 117-138 (36.1 - 42.5%) -- 93.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 410-486 (134.8 - 159.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Marowak-Alola: 303-357 (93.5 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor: 416-492 (121.2 - 143.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

you get the point: even on resisted hits, it does big damage with Psychic, and if it's not resisted, it will most likely die. Also kills stuff with the coverage.

Scarf:

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 280-330 (99.6 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 265-312 (102.3 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (what the hell)

252 SpA Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor: 252-300 (73.4 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

OHKOes frail things, can still dent fat stuff.

Life Orb:

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor: 328-390 (95.6 - 113.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 328-385 (107.8 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Keep in mind that it's not as strong as the Choice Specs set, it breaks balance by shutting down defensive cores with Taunt, not by muscling through them with raw power. It gets the same KOs as the Scarf set, so you can take those in consideration too.

Stallbreaker: no need for calcs because nature's madness putting everything in range of the damage needed.

Defensive:

It has decent bulk, but don't switch it into powerful attacks as it is still a bit frail without investment. Anyways, it is built to dish out damage, not take some. I'll still throw in some calcs.

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele in Electric Terrain: 208-246 (74 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Pheromosa U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 216-255 (76.8 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'll probably add more later, I know I didn't put a lot of calcs but I'm really tired/busy.

A Sub/Calm Mind set could definitely work, actually if anyone has a set like this, please post it below and I'll add it to this post. If I think of anything else I'll add it later.

Steel Checks/Counters: Steel types can both wall and KO Tapu Lele, so having good checks or counters is very important. Something I have been messing around with that is pretty effective is Magnezone, which is really good in this metagame.

Ghost/Poison Checks/Counters: Tapu Lele is weak to those typings, so having checks for those is always a good thing.

Physical Attackers/Wallbreakers: Physical attackers can deal with the special walls that are troublesome for Lele, and then potentially allow it to clean up the teams that are left with no way to take its attacks well.

Hazards Setters/Control: Tapu Lele appreciates having hazards up on the opponent's side of the field, since it can score KOs more easily with some chip damage and the opposing team. On the other hand, since it doesn't have access to any type of reliable recovery, it gets worn down very quickly (especially the Life Orb set because of the recoil), so having a Defoger/Rapid Spinner to remove them is very useful.

Steel Checks/Counters: Steel types can both wall and KO Tapu Lele, so they are Tapu Lele's biggest fear.

Ghost/Poison Checks/Counters: Tapu Lele is weak to those typings, so you should always be careful around those/Pokémon who cary such moves as coverage.

Fast/Powerful Attackers: While its Special Defense is pretty good, its HP and Defense are pretty average, leaving it prone to powerful hits. Its Speed is also not too great compared to Pokémon like Tapu Koko. Luckily, at least, Psychic Terrain blocks priority moves, so it can be safe from priority users such as Scizor.

@Black117 made a thread for movesets for VGC, I highly suggest that you go check it out if that's what you are into: http://pokemonforever.com/Thread-VGC-VGC...l-Attacker
Since I showcased a lot of sets in this thread and that they all shared some similarities, the descriptions were quite shorter. I think I still managed to explain everything properly, but I'll be glad to answer any question you might have if I didn't explain something well enough. Also, if you have others sets you'd like to share, feel free to do so!
Let's call it, Mega Gardevoir if it could hold an item. Also immune to priority. No one will ever use Gardevoir again.
RIP Miranda Cosgrove 1975-2017
(Nov 29, 2016, 08:41 PM)Squeab Wrote: Let's call it, Mega Gardevoir if it could hold an item. Also immune to priority. No one will ever use Gardevoir again.

Definitely.
Just a random question, but what is the Smogon format also Doubles or is it Singles?
(Dec 1, 2016, 06:10 AM)DankDaTank Wrote: Just a random question, but what is the Smogon format also Doubles or is it Singles?

@DankDaTank Smogon is a tier-based format: they categorize the Pokémon by usage and put them into theirs (OverUsed/OU, UnderUsed/UU. etc.). You can learn more about them on their website. They have both Singles and Doubles metagames, though this specific moveset is intended for Singles.
(Nov 30, 2016, 02:34 PM)Elly Wrote:
(Nov 29, 2016, 08:41 PM)Squeab Wrote: Let's call it, Mega Gardevoir if it could hold an item. Also immune to priority. No one will ever use Gardevoir again.

Definitely.

Agreed